ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP at RICE

This is the first time I’ve seen a Terry team win on the road. I’ve seen Floyd’s and Barbee’s teams pick up road wins. Usually the players would come over to the Miner section and shake hands, take pics, and enjoy a few minutes with the fans. Unfortunately last night the team went straight to the locker room after the win. They looked a bit scared to even glance our way.

Is this normal for a Terry team? Do the players go celebrate and hang out at the student section after home wins?

I’m not trying to be negative Nancy but it seemed off to me.

This is the first time I’ve seen a Terry team win on the road. I’ve seen Floyd’s and Barbee’s teams pick up road wins. Usually the players would come over to the Miner section and shake hands, take pics, and enjoy a few minutes with the fans. Unfortunately last night the team went straight to the locker room after the win. They looked a bit scared to even glance our way.

Is this normal for a Terry team? Do the players go celebrate and hang out at the student section after home wins?

I haven't seen them celebrate like that at The Don.

Reactions: JCorona
Thrilled that we pulled out the win last night, but I still have a billion questions.
1) There has been no explanation as to how and why Efe missed the bus. Doesn't this seem to be extremely mind blowing? On the website coverage of the game; Efe's not even mentioned. How can that be? Don't get it!
2) Tarke never got on the court despite the fact that he was cleared to play. Again; there never was any official mention anywhere about his injury. Not sure how we even knew he was injured.
3) Lathon was key to a lot of good things last season and there weren't many, but he has completely vanished. ?????
4) When you consider how horrendous they are from three, how can Terry continue to allow the team to collectively shoot ungodly amounts especially when the 2 pt. shooting is generally so good? To me this indicates a lazy trend of not trying to go inside and getting roughed up a little. For God's sake coach; please stop it!
It will get very ugly with UNT Saturday if we don't get it together.

They haven’t won in 19 games they probably didn’t know what to do ;)

So question to everyone... if this team reaches 20 wins this year... how do you grade it? We would have improved by 12 wins... how can that not be a positive ??? Second question how many people do we lose this year to transfer what’s your guess and who?

So question to everyone... if this team reaches 20 wins this year... how do you grade it? We would have improved by 12 wins... how can that not be a positive ??? Second question how many people do we lose this year to transfer what’s your guess and who?
If we hit 20 wins by the time we leave frisco, I’m ok with that. If we hit 20 wins because of a cbi run, ehh.

Thrilled that we pulled out the win last night, but I still have a billion questions.
1) There has been no explanation as to how and why Efe missed the bus. Doesn't this seem to be extremely mind blowing? On the website coverage of the game; Efe's not even mentioned. How can that be? Don't get it!
What is mind blowing??? The flight left at like 9:30 am. The bus probably left around 8ish. Maybe he just forgot to set his alarm or his phone ran out of battery and he slept in. Unfortunately, when you are running late when it involves a flight, you miss the flight.

Reactions: develman
Good to get monkey off their back However Rice is 1-7 in conference and N. Texas is 7-1 and destroyed UTSA. This will be the real test to see if this UTEP team can start playing up to earlier expectations and finish conference in top 5.

Unless they end on a long losing streak and don’t make the CUSA tournament, this season is a “success”. They won more games than last, and if they make the tournament, definitely better than last.

Disappointing? Yes, but still okay.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
What is mind blowing??? The flight left at like 9:30 am. The bus probably left around 8ish. Maybe he just forgot to set his alarm or his phone ran out of battery and he slept in. Unfortunately, when you are running late when it involves a flight, you miss the flight.

So Efe is an idiot and missed a trip to his home town? He also has no homies on the team to go and check on him?

I agree with Corona, 20 wins before the lower tier post season tournament is a success.

I can see anywhere between 1-5 leaving this year

Everything that we have deemed as a “test”, aside from very early on (UNM, NMSU), we have failed. I don’t have a good feeling about going into Denton and stealing a W. UNT started slow, losing 7 of their first 11 games. They are the epitome of a team that has grown throughout the course of the season, winning 9 of their last 10.

With that said, it would be nice to pass a damn “test” and come home with 2/2 road wins.

Everything that we have deemed as a “test”, aside from very early on (UNM, NMSU), we have failed. I don’t have a good feeling about going into Denton and stealing a W. UNT started slow, losing 7 of their first 11 games. They are the epitome of a team that has grown throughout the course of the season, winning 9 of their last 10.

With that said, it would be nice to pass a damn “test” and come home with 2/2 road wins.

Look at UNT’s non-conference schedule. They challenged themselves on the road instead of beating patsies at home.

“Best case scenario” that we discussed is still on the table. Even if we lose at UNT. All we had to do was split the Texas road trip, #DefendTheDon, split the east coast road trip, #DefendTheDon.

For a few more days we can dream about an 8-6 conference record and top pod finish.

Looking at the standings I think five losses is the most to get into the top pod.

4-AA5-DBB9-A655-457-E-847-A-D340-F132-FD48.jpg
Does anyone know who this guy is? Very popular fella at the game last night. Excuse my ignorance. I’m curious to know who he is.
W5tw6vM

4-AA5-DBB9-A655-457-E-847-A-D340-F132-FD48.jpg
Does anyone know who this guy is? Very popular fella at the game last night. Excuse my ignorance. I’m curious to know who he is.
W5tw6vM

Doesn't matter. He's too old. Ask 1992. Just like the Bulls and Spurs should throw away their championship trophies because they are too old and don't mean shit to current recruiting or winning, this man is too old to matter.

Doesn't matter. He's too old. Ask 1992. Just like the Bulls and Spurs should throw away their championship trophies because they are too old and don't mean shit to current recruiting or winning, this man is too old to matter.
If you look at his hand you might notice the championship ring. That shit caught my eye and almost blinded me.

Ha. Nobody is going to whatever school he’s representing because of him. They go to winners and ones with great facilities and are on ESPN.

2) Tarke never got on the court despite the fact that he was cleared to play. Again; there never was any official mention anywhere about his injury. Not sure how we even knew he was injured.
3) Lathon was key to a lot of good things last season and there weren't many, but he has completely vanished. ?????
4) When you consider how horrendous they are from three, how can Terry continue to allow the team to collectively shoot ungodly amounts especially when the 2 pt. shooting is generally so good? To me this indicates a lazy trend of not trying to go inside and getting roughed up a little. For God's sake coach; please stop it!
It will get very ugly with UNT Saturday if we don't get it together.
Just checked some stats nationally. Out of 353 Div 1 schools we rank 338th in 3 pt shooting % at .283% which averages out to be 6 for 22 per game. If you remove the 124 for 438 3pt attempts and makes that leaves 347 for 650 2pt attempts which is 53%. Not too shabby!

If we win 20 games despite jacking up so many brick 3-point shots, I'm just going to wonder how many wins we COULD of had.

Right now, 20 wins won't mean shit because this team is so inconsistent and hasn't been able to adjust to poor shooting. That translates to losses in the post season.

I'm thinking we lose Efe in the off season. Not sure what the heck is going on with Lathon, but I have a feeling he will be gone too.

More minutes for Tydus and Stroud. If Terry is going to play the "young team" card then keep playing these guys because they have the higher ceilings.

Some final numbers to again exemplify our poor shooting strategy

Against Rice: Hawkins, Edwards, Archie, Boum and Stroud went 16/20 (80%!!!) within the 3-point line and 18/23 (78%) from the free throw line. That's a total of 50 points.

They scored another 15 points total going 5/25 (20%!!) from 3-point land.

That's a total of 65/72 points in the game. Our frontcourt scored the other 7 points.

Now keep in mind that the UTSA 2-man backcourt duo scored 61 points against UNT and they still lost by 20.

How much better would this team be if we either hit 4-5 more 3s or we traded 25 3-point attempts for 2-point attempts and free throws?

Did anyone catch what the commentators said about Rice preparation for the UTEP game? Shut down Williams. They stated they went over and over their defensive prep on Williams. He was constantly double teamed, drew some triple at times. A Rice player literally ran into the back end of Williams so hard he hit the ground which drew a foul on Williams. I think we need to start calling him "ShaqWill" because he is so strong he draws puff fouls.

Did anyone catch what the commentators said about Rice preparation for the UTEP game? Shut down Williams. They stated they went over and over their defensive prep on Williams. He was constantly double teamed, drew some triple at times. A Rice player literally ran into the back end of Williams so hard he hit the ground which drew a foul on Williams. I think we need to start calling him "ShaqWill" because he is so strong he draws puff fouls.
If I were an opposing coach, it would be crazy NOT to use this type of defensive game plan versus UTEP. In Rice's case, they don't have the personnel to match up against Williams, so this approach makes even more sense. Quite frankly, I am surprised more teams haven't used the same approach; pack it in on the inside and dare the Miners to make some shots.

Was this the first game all season in which the guards carried us? Feels like it
Definitely saw a glimpse of composure from our guards going down the stretch. Didn't run around like headless chickens too much. Just a glimpse though.

Reactions: picks up
Definitely saw a glimpse of composure from our guards going down the stretch. Didn't run around like headless chickens too much. Just a glimpse though.
Edwards and Lathon were fantastic against NMSU when NMSU played at UTEP. Last night and that NMSU game were Edwards' best performance as he slashed and cut to the lane.

Reactions: jdubb66
I still dont get how this happens. That's why you have GA's, Assistant Coaches, and Captains.

I know at UH they look at as “you’re 19-23 years old. You should know how to get to places on time.” I would imagine it’s the same most places.

Kids miss the bus. It happens. I’m sure the attempt to call him was there once the announced time arrived, but by then it was probably too late, or he didn’t even answer. He’ll, even my HS kids get to our place of departure on time.

If I were an opposing coach, it would be crazy NOT to use this type of defensive game plan versus UTEP. In Rice's case, they don't have the personnel to match up against Williams, so this approach makes even more sense. Quite frankly, I am surprised more teams haven't used the same approach; pack it in on the inside and dare the Miners to make some shots.
Every team in the country could just play zone against us and double team Williams. Unless its Rice or a lesser team, its game over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT