ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP at Southern Miss MBB

axingfools1

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011
UTEP at USM Jan 1st 6pm ESPN+
UTEP at USM Jan 2nd 3pm ESPN+

USM will be outmatched on the court by the Miners. We have equal size (if not better), better scorers and better free throw shooting. Our 3pt % dropped down to 33% after the last game, but we still defend the 3 well (28%). 3pt shooting will be USM's only real chance against us. USM free throw shooting sucks.

If we attack the paint, rebound, get to the line and play our usual perimiter defense then we should win both games. Be selective from 3 and we win both games handily. I hope Terry and the players see it the same way and we don't shoot ourselves into a loss.

1st game Miners by 8
2nd game Miners by 15

I'm worried about the second half of these back to backs. Terry's weakness to this point in my mind has been the x's and o's, especially making adjustments. I feel like we will lose alot of the back half simply because Terry will get out coached.
Man you are so right Minerforlife. I think this will be an issue in future games, but I just feel that we are too much for USM right now. Fingers crossed that we are deep enough and Terry is smart enough to get us through.

Reactions: miner1liner
Always an issue in CUSA is the officiating, we have played "western ball" exclusively this year and this is our first venture east/south. There is a distinct difference in how games are called, how much officials let go on under the basket etc. How we adjust to that is a key imo. We are not a overly physical team inside and Agnew and Odige are our only mix it up types. Is our talent level higher than USM? likely but teams have out muscled us a lot in the past, so you never know.

If we toss up thirty - 3's, we better make half of them and limit them to 25% or less. Need to take it inside !!!!

Reactions: mikesarabia
We need to be smart and efficient on offense because Southern Miss seems to play decent defense. They are only allowing teams to shoot 39.5% per game and score 59.6 points per game; mostly against lower D1 competition but D1 competition nonetheless.

CUSA refs have morning wood for Williams. He needs to play smart because they will try to attack him to get him into foul trouble and double team at least. UTEP needs to shoot 40 to 45% at least. USM gets hot from beyond the arc it will be a rough night. One and done rebounding help tremendously. It helped beat ASU.

Both school have given each other a beatdown since 2018 73 to 44 in 2018 UTEP and 77-47 in 2019 USM.

With USM it's all or nothing.

There is no doubt that as a college basketball fan in general, I am going to have to have buku patience with this season. Annoying af, but I am aware...small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

Sports just help keep my, as I’m sure many others as well, sanity levels reasonable.

Reactions: Rocketsr
There is no doubt that as a college basketball fan in general, I am going to have to have buku patience with this season. Annoying af, but I am aware...small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

Sports just help keep my, as I’m sure many others as well, sanity levels reasonable.
Or the opposite. It seems that a combination of the Cowboys, Miners basketball, and Miners football could send you to a mental institution.

• Haha
Reactions: MineroFanatico
My fingers are crossed as I anticipate the beginning of yet another MINER basketball season. I may require surgery to have them dislodged as my fingers are getting so old and brittle they seem to have fused together. I pray that something might go right for a change this season without catastrophic drama.

I worry about the ref's. not worried about the team. We have the pieces in place for success. Do I expect them to go undefeated? Of course not. We'll lose some games we should of won and win some we should of lost. It's sports after all. But, i expect a highly competitive effort, each and every game. If the ref's manage to influence the outcome, well, I won't be surprised. We do play in a conference with teams in the deep south.

I worry about the ref's. not worried about the team. We have the pieces in place for success. Do I expect them to go undefeated? Of course not. We'll lose some games we should of won and win some we should of lost. It's sports after all. But, i expect a highly competitive effort, each and every game. If the ref's manage to influence the outcome, well, I won't be surprised. We do play in a conference with teams in the deep south.
CUSA refs are not determining the outcome but I have literally seen opposing players who literally run into Williams many times and bounce off him and fall on the floor and he gets called for a foul just because of being in the area and having the size and build of Gronk.

Hard to believe the lack of chatter going into our first conference game. I'm a die hard and am nursing hopes for decent season, but feel that we must win these two at Southern Miss. I think we can and should, but am very nervous.

Reactions: axingfools1
I think if UTEP is going to be successful this season they have to win both. It's the road and it's a weird season, but everyone is going through issues

Reactions: axingfools1
Hard to believe the lack of chatter going into our first conference game. I'm a die hard and am nursing hopes for decent season, but feel that we must win these two at Southern Miss. I think we can and should, but am very nervous.

why is it hard to believe? Do the math

I would say about 80 percent of all utep miner fans are Dallas cowboy fans.... and almost all Dallas cowboy fans are bandwagon fans

it adds up — no one is here because utep isn’t winning and once they start winning they will show up in droves saying they we were there the whole time

I would say about 80 percent of all utep miner fans are Dallas cowboy fans.... and almost all Dallas cowboy fans are bandwagon fans

it adds up — no one is here because utep isn’t winning and once they start winning they will show up in droves saying they we were there the whole time
Bandwagon fans?? Doesn't a team have to be good for people to jump on the bandwagon?

The Miners have played 3 real games in 2 months. It's also the holidays. We're playing Southern Miss, yawn! Hard to say if there will be a bandwagon this year, since 0 people have been to home games. What are we supposed to talk about? Missing Vila or reminiscing over dunks vs Sul Ross St? There's little interest because of everything going on and shit years in the major sports

Reactions: JCorona

Well, it is easy to say when your team is losing that there is no excitement. Who likes to lose besides Cleveland Brown fans and you used to be able to say that about the Cubs. Therefore, knowing who is a fan of the Cowboys is hard to judge.

The Cowboys had the highest attendance last year of any NFL team, and have averaged over the last ten years better than any other team. So, calling them bandwagon fans is a stretch. And judging from this board, I can easily tell you that they are not bandwagon fans as they have suffered year after year, and yet are still backing the Cowboys.

If we use the philosophy that you use, everyone is a band wagon fan when their team is winning. I have not seen anyone on here waver that they were a fan or not. They just expect better, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I'm actually pretty happy with the shots we are getting tonight. If we can get a higher percentage to fall we can win this one handily.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT