ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP at Southern Miss MBB

Our guys were not prepared to play tonight. Not in the slightest. AWFUL performance. And though the game is not yet over USM has not been any better. Pathetic game. Wish I could reclaim my time.

Someone needs to call into the coach’s show and ask if we’ve ever practiced against full court presses and traps. We’re turning the ball over coming out of timeouts where RT should be drawing up plays!

Why did Boum have two turnovers at the end of the half? (Only saw the Gamecast of the 2nd half, although I watched the overtime.) Somebody please explain what happened

It wasn't Terry that blew the game at the end, it was Boum. It happens sometimes, but he needs to mature and let it go. Terry's mistake was giving Boum the ball in the last 15 seconds when it was obvious he was distraught.

We lost the game by missing at the rim and getting burned in the paint....again. Terry is responsible for that. We missed plenty of free throws too.

Also I really don't understand why Onyema can't get a few minutes in these games when our frontcourt is getting burned.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Why did Boum have two turnovers at the end of the half? (Only saw the Gamecast of the 2nd half, although I watched the overtime.) Somebody please explain what happened
S.MISS shot 44%
UTEP shot 36%

Free Throws
S.MISS shot 80%
UTEP shot 58%

Had a steal and then lost the ball under our basket on the 1st one. Second one he caught the inbound pass right on the sideline and stepped out of bounds.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Guys, look I may be knee-jerk reacting, but with as much as RT is walking up down the sidelines during the game - what the hell is he coaching about? I’m not a die-hard who knows the assistants but who’s on the bench that’s yes-sir’ing RT. Is Phil Johnson available? I’ll even take Josh Lucas. Knowing Senter, he’ll pay him way more than Home Depot does.

What an absolutely atrocious game, especially the last 6 minutes.

Terry played Boum 45 minutes, despite the fact he couldn't make a shot tonight, turned the ball over 3 times in the last minute, AND WE PLAY TOMORROW IN THE AFTERNOON AGAIN. This team is maddening and Terry continues to show he can't coach this team before games or during games. I wish I could say I was disappointed but then I would have to have expectations to begin with. Terrybhas left me with none.

Boum got fouled in regular time that refs didn't called. Boum that got hipped pushed our of bounds. Called stepped out of bounds. It was done.

But UTEP shot poorly and missed need free throws.

It wasn't Terry that blew the game at the end, it was Boum. It happens sometimes, but he needs to mature and let it go. Terry's mistake was giving Boum the ball in the last 15 seconds when it was obvious he was distraught.

We lost the game by missing at the rim and getting burned in the paint....again. Terry is responsible for that. We missed plenty of free throws too.

Also I really don't understand why Onyema can't get a few minutes in these games when our frontcourt is getting burned.
BW also played poorly. Their defense made him a non factor offensively. Verhoeven was dominated by Stephenson (former walk-on), and was again non-existent offensively. Just a really poor showing. We need a big turn around to not end up being swept tomorrow.

Just so frustrating to watch. Terry is the type of coach that needs his players to make him look good instead of vice versa or a combination of both. Everybody is to blame tonight, but Terry is solely responsible for our inconsistent play and poor decision making from game to game.

BW also played poorly. Their defense made him a non factor offensively. Verhoeven was dominated by Stephenson (former walk-on), and was again non-existent offensively. Just a really poor showing. We need a big turn around to not end up being swept tomorrow.
While they did double BW he still had a number of very makeable shots that he just missed. He was one of many that just missed too many shots that should have been made tonight, especially in the first half. We shot better in the 2nd half, but then came our collapse down the stretch. A team with pride would know they gave this one away and be ready to take it to USM tomorrow. What will this team do?

Maybe an overreaction here, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this turns into the equivalent of last year’s Hawaii implosion. We just don’t seem to have that “IT” factor...yet again.
Hopefully we are not at that level yet, but I may have a different response tomorrow. 😳

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Hopefully we are not at that level yet, but I may have a different response tomorrow. 😳

I know. I hope not too. I just don’t see much chemistry, grit or passion on the court. Nor do I see much in the way of effective coaching either. The general team vibe reminds me a lot of this time last year when we gave the FIU and FAU games away.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Another confounding season to look forward to. Nothing to build on. No coaching to rely on. It's a constant replay of the players suffering brain freezes when under pressure. No acceptable explanation or excuses for such a weak effort.
This die hard is about to give it up and seek other more rewarding entertainment. Basketball in Minerland is nothing but a memory. As long as Terry is here; it'll continue to be a free fall.

Currently 290 USM and 256 RICE are tied for first place in the west. LT is up there too with them.

Jay Ladner makes 315k. 😂 we don’t need to pay Terry 750k for the results he produces. If we switched 400k to our football coach we could pay them 1.1 million and still pay our bball coach more than what Ladner makes.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
What I remember, on the first turnover, Southern Miss was in a full court pressure. Bienemy inbounded to Boum along the sideline and was wanting to get fouled (did get bumped - but really was probably a good no-call), instead he stepped out of bounds. He should hav dribbled towards the center of the court. The sideline is like an extra defender. Boum had no where to go. On the second, during another full court press, Bienemy got the ball to Agnew who then passed it to Boum at mid-court. Instead of Boum pulling the ball back he chose to attack, and lost the ball. Not playing SMART!

If I remember correctly we started the same way last year. We were up by 7 against FAU with about 4 minutes before collapsing down the stretch and losing the game.

How quickly things went from conference champs contenders to will we make the cusa tournament.

The team needs to respond with a big win today or I’m afraid we won’t be good enough to make it to Frisco.

Welcome to CRT basketball.

Disappointed in our big men, they got out muscled & out hustled by a walk on.

The crazy thing, 2step, about that, if you just look at our Bigs compared to theirs (the eye test) you wouldn't believe that could happen. When the game started I was thinking it looked like a Varsity team going up against the Freshman squad.

Reactions: utep2step
That loss is a head scratcher. USM is a terrible team. Just take a look at their schedule and those losses.

Terry just got out-coached.... again. They basically took away BW with the double team, and we had no other gameplan from there. Our players did miss some bunnies, though... and I think there was some def bias with the refs... but still. That was a really bad team we lost to

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT