ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP at Southern Miss MBB

Do we not have an inside game? 5 out of 23 from 3 is not going to win many games for you. Secondly shooting 11 out of 19 from free throw range is also pathetic.

Something tells me that this will be the norm this year. Sadly Terry has not turned the corner.

It is imperative to come out of this with a split.

That loss is a head scratcher. USM is a terrible team. Just take a look at their schedule and those losses.

Terry just got out-coached.... again. They basically took away BW with the double team, and we had no other gameplan from there. Our players did miss some bunnies, though... and I think there was some def bias with the refs... but still. That was a really bad team we lost to
Sorry for the rant! I am still really pissed at how the game ended. It was a perfect storm for USM (which played really hard to their credit). Both the players and coach are to blame though.

We had multiple guys that missed layups, dunks and free throws. Just make 1 shot and the game is over. The offense relies on the players to score. Not Terry's fault.

We got dominated in the paint by a group of equal size and strength. BW had one of his worst games as a Miner. Neither he nor Terry had any clue how to attack the double team. BW finally tried a quick jumper before the double team, but he was just off. Tydus brought zero on offense and Efe has totally lost his ability to defensive rebound. He is NOT a rim defender. Onyema is raw, but he needs these minutes based on his rim prowess and potential

Our guards kept us in the game with their defense and scoring. Bieniemy played a spectacular 2nd half facilitating and scoring at mid-range. He stopped shooting 3s and stopped reversing the ball after driving in. Really good adjustments on his behalf. Agnew played tremendous defense in the 2nd half and closed the game down the stretch.

Sjolund played a very well-rounded game. He plays together well with Bieniemy. The 2 have a lot of chemistry. He got his deserved minutes last night and needs to play even more IMO.

Now that being said here is where Terry keeps messing up. We have no set offense that I can see. Its pure high ball screen and create or just pass inside and pray. These guys need some help on offense. Otherwise scoring will be inconsistent from half to half and game to game. I would like to see some set plays and some more easy buckets at the rim (especially off of double teams). Terry has to draw up these plays and get the right guys in the right positions. This will at least free up our offense to play inside out as well as shoot 3s

Also Terry made a huge mistake in taking the ball out of Bienemy's hands the last 15 seconds. Bieniemy was on fire and Boum was distraught. I understand JB wasn't hitting free throws, but he must have the ball there at the end of the game. It was our only chance to win.

If I'm Terry I am challenging my bigs to play stronger, finish stronger, block out and rebound. I'm working with BW and Efe on breaking the double team with deeper positioning and quicker moves while setting up a slasher to the rim that can finish off of a pass (Sjolund or Kennedy or BW or Onyema). Im seriously thinking about getting a raw Onyema some minutes to share with Tydus or Efe (based on matchup) and playing Sjolund more at SF. Boum needs to come out of the game here and there to stay focused and motivated. Im trying to figure out ways to use our athleticism while having good defenders on the floor and at least 2 guys that can score at all times. I'm thinking about applying more pressure on defense (full or half court) when I have a rim defender in the game so I can score quicker. I'm challenging everybody to go to the rim like men and stop pussy-footing around.

This is who I'm playing
JB/Boum
Boum/Agnew/Hess
Kennedy or Sjolund
BW/Sjolund
Tydus/Onyema or Efe/BW

If we want we can go small or big. We can go offensive or defensive. There is so much there. There's a ton of athleticism to utilize on both ends of the floor and off of inbounds plays.

Sorry for the rant! I am still really pissed at how the game ended. It was a perfect storm for USM (which played really hard to their credit). Both the players and coach are to blame though.

We had multiple guys that missed layups, dunks and free throws. Just make 1 shot and the game is over. The offense relies on the players to score. Not Terry's fault.

We got dominated in the paint by a group of equal size and strength. BW had one of his worst games as a Miner. Neither he nor Terry had any clue how to attack the double team. BW finally tried a quick jumper before the double team, but he was just off. Tydus brought zero on offense and Efe has totally lost his ability to defensive rebound. He is NOT a rim defender. Onyema is raw, but he needs these minutes based on his rim prowess and potential

Our guards kept us in the game with their defense and scoring. Bieniemy played a spectacular 2nd half facilitating and scoring at mid-range. He stopped shooting 3s and stopped reversing the ball after driving in. Really good adjustments on his behalf. Agnew played tremendous defense in the 2nd half and closed the game down the stretch.

Sjolund played a very well-rounded game. He plays together well with Bieniemy. The 2 have a lot of chemistry. He got his deserved minutes last night and needs to play even more IMO.

Now that being said here is where Terry keeps messing up. We have no set offense that I can see. Its pure high ball screen and create or just pass inside and pray. These guys need some help on offense. Otherwise scoring will be inconsistent from half to half and game to game. I would like to see some set plays and some more easy buckets at the rim (especially off of double teams). Terry has to draw up these plays and get the right guys in the right positions. This will at least free up our offense to play inside out as well as shoot 3s

Also Terry made a huge mistake in taking the ball out of Bienemy's hands the last 15 seconds. Bieniemy was on fire and Boum was distraught. I understand JB wasn't hitting free throws, but he must have the ball there at the end of the game. It was our only chance to win.

If I'm Terry I am challenging my bigs to play stronger, finish stronger, block out and rebound. I'm working with BW and Efe on breaking the double team with deeper positioning and quicker moves while setting up a slasher to the rim that can finish off of a pass (Sjolund or Kennedy or BW or Onyema). Im seriously thinking about getting a raw Onyema some minutes to share with Tydus or Efe (based on matchup) and playing Sjolund more at SF. Boum needs to come out of the game here and there to stay focused and motivated. Im trying to figure out ways to use our athleticism while having good defenders on the floor and at least 2 guys that can score at all times. I'm thinking about applying more pressure on defense (full or half court) when I have a rim defender in the game so I can score quicker. I'm challenging everybody to go to the rim like men and stop pussy-footing around.

This is who I'm playing
JB/Boum
Boum/Agnew/Hess
Kennedy or Sjolund
BW/Sjolund
Tydus/Onyema or Efe/BW

If we want we can go small or big. We can go offensive or defensive. There is so much there. There's a ton of athleticism to utilize on both ends of the floor and off of inbounds plays.
Good post. Other than an occasional in bound play, I have seen very few instances where a Terry drawn up offensive play has resulted in a score. The last play yesterday in regulation, where we failed to even get up a shot, was another perfect example. Poor play call, and even worse execution.

On Onyema, I just don't see Terry playing him. If he thought he could help the team, I think we would have already seen Terry try to get him some minutes. Unless there is some unforeseeable injury to one of the interior guys, I doubt Onyema will play this year.

Good post. Other than an occasional in bound play, I have seen very few instances where a Terry drawn up offensive play has resulted in a score. The last play yesterday in regulation, where we failed to even get up a shot, was another perfect example. Poor play call, and even worse execution.

On Onyema, I just don't see Terry playing him. If he thought he could help the team, I think we would have already seen Terry try to get him some minutes. Unless there is some unforeseeable injury to one of the interior guys, I doubt Onyema will play this year.
Well here's the thing, unless Terry shows a clear plan for his future (or unless the kid is just dead set on being a miner) then I don't see any reason for him to stay and wait another couple of years to play. He has 2 guys in front of him that could play another 2 years here. Efe has regressed and as much as I like his toughness Tydus has a ceiling athletically. On top of that we don't know where Vila stands or where Hill fits in. Onyema is growing like a weed and is very athletic/aggressive when he plays. He could literally end up being a 7ft show stopper at another school while Terry waits around or gets fired messing around. I guarantee you all that we don't want to lose him. Maybe Onyema can't create his own shot yet, but if Terry were worth a damn he could create ways for him to contribute on both ends of the court (at least for a few minutes)

The whole point is to get guys involved that will eventually get you to the NCAA tournament and win a game or two or more. I just don't see that happening with some of our guys and I can definitely see it in some others. How do we get by Bassey and WKU when we can't even get by USM's bigs? This isn't high school anymore and this isn't the NCAA of old where most guys have to wait to play. Talk is cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocketsr
Rice is blowing out UTSA...again. We will have our hands full with Terry at the helm. Today is a must win already.

The stats are very poor for us. If we don't hit 3s in the 2nd half, we are dead meat.

Bienemy is really playing well.

Kennedy should be benched for Sjolund the rest of the game.

Our interior D really sucks. Tydus finishing better today but it absent on defense in the lane.

We're now on fire from 3. With the way we play we always look good when that happens. Let's hope that we can generate some offense when the 3s inevitably stop falling.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Rice is blowing out UTSA...again. We will have our hands full with Terry at the helm. Today is a must win already.
UTSA struggling this year but Rice is improved. Playing Sisters of the Poor U is looked down upon Miner fans but it helps with confidence, coaching efficiency, chemistry and strengthen fundamentals and it appears to be working for Rice (and UAB somewhat).

We are finally doing to USM what we should have done in the three previous halves. We'll have to get really creative to blow this one now.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Really good 3pt shooting in the 2nd half. I guess we really are live or die by the 3. Good to see Boum score in the 2nd half after that implosion yesterday. Agnew is a real bulldog on defense.

Bieniemy had a great weekend. Frustrating that he missed 4 free throws and that Terry took the ball out of his hands at the end yesterday, but I doubt that happens again (fingers crossed).

Its obviously apparent now that we need a better presence in the paint. BW is having too many off nights and just looks tired sometimes. Tydus is still a starter, but his rim defense has all but dissapointed. Its almost like somebody has told him not to jump anymore. His shot blocking has disappeared (likely due to over coaching). No defensive rebounds from the center position hurts too. Efe didn't even play as Terry tightened the rotation to 7. Where does that leave us???? Onyema could have played the last 2-3 minutes

A center presence would help Terry slide Sjolund to SF where he belongs. I mean I like Kennedy but he is very limited if not finishing at the rim and rebounding. He had a poor weekend. His playing time should be very dependent on his defense and string finishing. He should NOT be shooting any more 3s.

I actually think Terry is adjusting better and rotating players better this year. He has made plenty of mistakes, but has had us in position to win all of our games (except Saint Mary's)

When you play a team that coming in shoots only 58% from the free-throw line and they go 37 for 47 and shoot 78.7% over two games, how does anyone explain that?

Someone please look Terry right in the face and ask point blank...
1) why not more minutes for Sjolund and less
minutes for Kennedy? Play who is contri-
buting.
2) Why not give Onyema a chance? He's wasting
away on the bench when you desperately
need an inside presence. Don't want him
entering the transfer portal out of
frustration.

Reactions: axingfools1
buting.
frustration.

Interesting that UTEP used 8 players last night and then the next day used 7. Efe did not see action.

I was curious to see how he handled everyone's minutes after an OT game and we got an answer. Something to watch, as the 2 games in 2 days vs the same opponents, plays out.

Interesting that UTEP used 8 players last night and then the next day used 7. Efe did not see action.

I was curious to see how he handled everyone's minutes after an OT game and we got an answer. Something to watch, as the 2 games in 2 days vs the same opponents, plays out.
Playing 7 guys on back to back nights shouldn't be a problem at all at this level. It will only hurt if we have injuries (knock on wood). A bunch of teams play 6-7 guys on a regular basis at the college level. Our 8th player needs to be a big.

Reactions: picks up
buting.
frustration.

What about Hess? He looked like he could shoot ! I have always liked having 3 reliable 3 point shooters on the floor at the same time for spacing...... is he hurt? Or just not getting a chance??

what’s the deal with villa anyway?

What about Hess? He looked like he could shoot ! I have always liked having 3 reliable 3 point shooters on the floor at the same time for spacing...... is he hurt? Or just not getting a chance??

I suspect that Hess and Onyema may be defensive liabilities in Terry's mind. I really don't see any other reason. Both have done better than Vuk, yet he still got a loooong look early on.

Sorry to keep repeating myself, but at this point we have no interior D aside from Tydus standing tall with his hands up. BW and Sjolund can only do so much and we don't want them in foul trouble. Efe and Vila are NOT the answer. Why not play Onyema a few minutes here and there with the guys that actually play. He brings a post presence and the rim intimidation that this team desperately needs.

How is this team going to match up with other bigs like Bassey or guys we may see in the post season or preseason next year?

I suspect that Hess and Onyema may be defensive liabilities in Terry's mind. I really don't see any other reason. Both have done better than Vuk, yet he still got a loooong look early on.

Sorry to keep repeating myself, but at this point we have no interior D aside from Tydus standing tall with his hands up. BW and Sjolund can only do so much and we don't want them in foul trouble. Efe and Vila are NOT the answer. Why not play Onyema a few minutes here and there with the guys that actually play. He brings a post presence and the rim intimidation that this team desperately needs.

How is this team going to match up with other bigs like Bassey or guys we may see in the post season or preseason next year?
I hear you axing, and I agree we could use another interior guy, especially on defense. Yesterday, we were out rebounded again by an undersized USM team by 15 rebounds. We won by created 18 turnovers off of their young guards. However, that rebounding margin will not work against better teams.

On Onyema, other than seeing a couple of minutes of scrub time against non D1 competition, all we know is he can dunk. I just haven't seen enough at this point to determine if he could help this team. I do know that the margin of error for the team is razor thin, so I can see why Terry has had to shorten the bench. I would love to see Onyema be able to garner some minutes this year, if he can help. Next year, with BW likely leaving, there will be a huge opportunity for a guy like Onyema, to play major minutes. I could see Terry bringing in a transfer big to fill that role; the freshman recruit Hill figures to perimeter guy.

Villa is not a good player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT