ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP at UNT MBB

axingfools1

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011

Similar to UTEP, UNT goes 6-8 deep and plays pretty good D. Hamlet hasn't been the same this year, but is still good. Simmons is their only big that plays and averages 10 and 6.5. Im sure Simmons will have 20 and 13 against UTEP both games. I think we can control Hamlet, but scoring will be difficult for us. With Boum slumping and our poor interior defense I will venture to say that we get another split and continue as a .500 team.

If it be now, 'tis not to come: if it be not to come, it will be now: if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all.
(Hamlet, Act 5 Scene 2)

"
Consort? What, dost thou make us minstrels? An thou make minstrels of us, look to hear nothing but discords. Here’s my fiddlestick; here’s that shall make you dance. Zounds, consort!" -- Romeo and Juliet, Act 3, Scene 1

NTU is likely similar to Southern Miss, but with better players. Seems if NTU can hit the 70 mark in a game they win if less they lose. Miner's need a split to stay relevant if they lose both they can't recover and will repeat last years efforts. Rice will play ODU this weekend and will see if they are for real or not. (I think not)

Reactions: axingfools1
NTU is likely similar to Southern Miss, but with better players. Seems if NTU can hit the 70 mark in a game they win if less they lose. Miner's need a split to stay relevant if they lose both they can't recover and will repeat last years efforts. Rice will play ODU this weekend and will see if they are for real or not. (I think not)
I think Rice is pretty good, but ODU is a very decent rebounding team which will help them tremendously.

As bad as we were defending the pick and role, we really just couldn't hit enough shots against Rice the 2nd game. For some reason we were very tentative. We had like 5 jump stop traveling violations alone.. Tells me that our team's confidence is like a roller coaster right now (with Boum being the most affected). Not good headed on the road against UNT. We really need to show up tonight.

There’s a trend in cusa. Visiting team has won the second game in the series. I think we will switch it up this series. Wm today lose tomorrow.

Check out: https://krod.com/utep-vs-north-texas-five-things-to-know-before-tipoff/

So apparently Terry thought this team was mature enough to know how to defend ball screens (so they haven't practiced it as much). Poor preparation on his part. At least he is owning up to it and addressing it. Hopefully this doesn't happen again....ever. This season you have an entire week to prepare for each team.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I think Rice is pretty good, but ODU is a very decent rebounding team which will help them tremendously.

As bad as we were defending the pick and role, we really just couldn't hit enough shots against Rice the 2nd game. For some reason we were very tentative. We had like 5 jump stop traveling violations alone.. Tells me that our team's confidence is like a roller coaster right now (with Boum being the most affected). Not good headed on the road against UNT. We really need to show up tonight.
So ODU defended the paint well, but got outrebounded and couldn't defend the perimiter. RICE wins by 10.

Meanwhile our coach overlooks teaching his kids how to defend the ball screen/pick and roll because he thought they were mature enough to do it on their own.

Terry basically saying the reason why we lost to Rice was because we didn't make open shots and I forgot to teach ball screen/pick and roll defense all week.

So if Terry is not teaching his bigs defense then how and the hell is Onyema supposed to get in the game so we can utilize his strengths of height, athleticism and aggression?

BTW, why has Verhoeven's shot blocking fallen off the map. Is it related to our coaching?

Reactions: MineroFanatico
So ODU defended the paint well, but got outrebounded and couldn't defend the perimiter. RICE wins by 10.

Meanwhile our coach overlooks teaching his kids how to defend the ball screen/pick and roll because he thought they were mature enough to do it on their own.

Terry basically saying the reason why we lost to Rice was because we didn't make open shots and I forgot to teach ball screen/pick and roll defense all week.

So if Terry is not teaching his bigs defense then how and the hell is Onyema supposed to get in the game so we can utilize his strengths of height, athleticism and aggression?

BTW, why has Verhoeven's shot blocking fallen off the map. Is it related to our coaching?
Terry is just spinning his team's inability to defend Rice. Evee and Fieldler are good young players, and they came through big time, especially in the second game. The challenge is not just the pick and roll, but also handling the other perimeter shooters. That Rice team is going to give teams problems, especially at home, where they shoot even better.

Shot blocking/rim protection is an area I thought we would see more from Verhoeven based on his freshman numbers as well. Obviously, that is a huge missing piece to our interior defense.

I can understand giving your guys a chance to prove they’re mature enough to handle whatever is in front of them, however when as a coach you notice they’re not up to task, step the **** in and make an adjustment or two. Just when I think I couldn’t be any more disappointed with CRT...

Last edited:
Here we go with the 3s. We have zero offense when we can't run and don't hit 3s. SMH

There’s not much positive to say. We look like complete ass right now.

Apologies guys. Just had to vent about all things Miner bb the last several posts. I’m done bitching. Sigh...

Reactions: Lil_Train
There’s not much positive to say. We look like complete ass right now.

Apologies guys. Just had to vent about all things Miner bb the last several posts. I’m done bitching. Sigh...
Not me. I can bitch all night. Our offense is total dog shit right now. We look totally unprepared and overwhelmed by an average team. Terry has no clue what to do next.

I wonder if we can have more traveling calls on us in the second half.

Not me. I can bitch all night. Our offense is total dog shit right now. We look totally unprepared and overwhelmed by an average team. Terry has no clue what to do next.

Oh, I can too. That’s what I’m trying to spare everybody on here from. I’m bitching with the best of em right now...just tryin to keep it off the board.

Seems all I have is negative comments about our Miners lately. Just don’t wanna spread my toxic discontent. Don’t care if other people do though. It’s actually kind of cathartic even when not coming from myself.

I struggle to recall a worse overall piss poor performance from a Miners team than what we're getting tonight.

Can't decide if the offense or defense is worse. Still can't defend simple screens, two players follow the same player and leave one wide open. An offense, dribble dribble pass pass shoot (miss)

Embarrassing how bad we suck at the rim. We are getting torched on the boards and at our own basket (by a much smaller team).

Now the announcer is asking why UTEP " is not attacking the rim at all costs ". Well because Rodney Terry wants us to shoot 3s until he loses his job.

Reactions: utep2step
This is crap. Terry pull a Hawaii at the hotel again and piss off the team?

Bryson's game has really taken a step back this season. Tentative in the post, doesn't drive, settles for 3s, disappears for long stretches. Really sad for him, he should be dominating these teams with his talent and what he showed.last year. Terry's offensive scheme has really ruined his game.

Bryson's game has really taken a step back this season. Tentative in the post, doesn't drive, settles for 3s, disappears for long stretches. Really sad for him, he should be dominating these teams with his talent and what he showed.last year. Terry's offensive scheme has really ruined his game.

He looked great in the second half against ASU and in the first game against Rice. Other than that he hasn't looked like the same player this year. Of course, tonight is by far the worst he's looked this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT