ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball: Identity crisis?

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
Just who is UTEP basketball? Us old guys remember back to the glory years when Don Haskins ran the sidelines, there was no question what kind of team the Miners were then. We were a tough inside play team with big strong forwards and centers that would fight your tooth and nail for the sloppiest of rebounds. We had guys like Dave Feitl, Antonio Davis, Marlon Maxey, Kent Lockhart, Chris Sandle and the list goes on and on. Things aren't that way anymore. the Miners haven't been in a good fight in a long time and I'm not sure they should get in any. Toughness is what's missing. Physical and mental. We need to take a tip from the football team, whose identity has been solidified the last couple of years, and find out who exactly we are.

Look at what kugler has done he has said my way or the highway... We are playing this way and that's it you either buy into it or leave.... And everyone is applauding his no nonsense approach...then you have Tim Floyd doing the same thing and everyone doesn't like the way he plays says he is too hard on the players etc etc.... So why the difference? Do we just like kugler right now because he won last year?

Look at what kugler has done he has said my way or the highway... We are playing this way and that's it you either buy into it or leave.... And everyone is applauding his no nonsense approach...then you have Tim Floyd doing the same thing and everyone doesn't like the way he plays says he is too hard on the players etc etc.... So why the difference? Do we just like kugler right now because he won last year?

Unless your Tevin Caldwell, who did it Floyd's way and still lost his scholarship.

Reactions: develman

Floyd is not near the disciplinarian Kugler is. If a football player misses one class diring the week they have to attend mandatory study halls from 7pm-2am Friday and Saturday night. Kugler would have kicked Harris off the team for his academics. Vince had no choice but to go pro because he too would have been declared academically ineligible. Floyd needs to hold his guys accademically accountable just like Kugler does.

I can't see in this day and age how you let one of your players '
default' on his school work. That is just a coach or coaches being asleep at the wheel. But I see Kuglar as a developer of talent rather than a great recruiter. He sees potential and then grows his players. Floyd just hasn't done that.

Just saying not too long ago people were saying Floyd was out of touch for being so hard and old school and stubborn but kugler is basically the same thing

Also none of us know what Floyd did to help omega?? Maybe he didn't do anything but maybe he did all he could and omega just wasn't receptive to anything... Failing a class is all on the player!

Last edited:
The difference between floyd and kugler is the system. Kugler has a system and doesnt ever stray from it. He looks for high character hard working guys who love football. While Kuglers guys arent the highest rank recruits they are perfect for his system. He hold the kids accountable and develops them. There is an extremely low turnover rate on the football roster.

Floyd meanwhile recruits the best players he can regardless of character or attitude issues. He gets guys most programs wont touch and to this point its backfired. Floyd is always trying to get that one team that will propel him to another job. There is extremely high turnover on the roster. As the years go on his moves get more and more riskier and desperate. To this point there has been very little development of players or program building.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
You really think Floyd is trying to leave??? I would be extremely surprised I think and have thought he will retire here

And honestly whAt bad character guys has he brought in? Three guys got in trouble for gambling in he Virgin Islands.... Does not make them bad people.... Hamilton just went another way again not a bad guy just some bad luck.... I don't think omega had and any issues until he got here.... I think Floyd has just had some awful luck!..... I finally think things are ready to go...!! This team will be a bit inexperienced but there is finally depth on this team and potentially some really good guards!!

Last edited:
You really think Floyd is trying to leave??? I would be extremely surprised I think and have thought he will retire here

And honestly whAt bad character guys has he brought in? Three guys got in trouble for gambling in he Virgin Islands.... Does not make them bad people.... Hamilton just went another way again not a bad guy just some bad luck.... I don't think omega had and any issues until he got here.... I think Floyd has just had some awful luck!..... I finally think things are ready to go...!! This team will be a bit inexperienced but there is finally depth on this team and potentially some really good guards!!

You honestly think Floyd hasn't tried to leave? He may end up retiring here but not because this was his dream destination job.

I guess we shall see!!! I still believe he wants to turn us into a gonzaga type mid major power but that's just me I guess

Reactions: mikesarabia
You honestly think Floyd hasn't tried to leave? He may end up retiring here but not because this was his dream destination job.
Haven't heard from you in ages Luca and it's certainly not the up beat kind of message you used to post. Guess you have lost your "Hoorah"

Don't you know Luca, you are judged on this site, not by all, by your unwavering ability to remain upbeat and positive at all times. The most subtle of expressions to the contrary will be caught and pointed out by the MIPD. You have been cited and warned.

Don't you know Luca, you are judged on this site, not by all, by your unwavering ability to remain upbeat and positive at all times. The most subtle of expressions to the contrary will be caught and pointed out by the MIPD. You have been cited and warned.
You...Cici have completely missed my point. Nowhere could you twist anything I said to be a criticism of Luca. I certainly am not levelling any citations or warnings...(I don't have an agenda)simply curious why Luca is so 180 degrees away from his former self. His posts were always about the most thoughtful and interesting of any the Diggers. Not looking for trouble...,are you?

You...Cici have completely missed my point. Nowhere could you twist anything I said to be a criticism of Luca. I certainly am not levelling any citations or warnings...(I don't have an agenda)simply curious why Luca is so 180 degrees away from his former self. His posts were always about the most thoughtful and interesting of any the Diggers. Not looking for trouble...,are you?

I thought his post was thoughtful and interesting. You just don't like it because you don't agree with it.

Reactions: develman
Okay miner1liner, perhaps "judged" is too strong of a word. However, there is a noticeable hyper sensitivity that is quite prevalent on this board. And there are those who seemingly make it their mission to identify any such sentiments that hint of dissatisfaction with aspects of the bb program. I agree with you that in the past, most of Luca's posts slanted towards the positive. But he really hasn't made a sudden 180. Over the last several months it appears there has been a gradual reckoning, for lack of a better word, or a disillusionment with CTF and/or Miner bb. I can't speak for him. I don't know him. I just recognize certain sentiments that the guy has that I tend to agree with. I found it curious that you pointed out what appears to be his displeasure. As if it should be so shocking considering the last couple of seasons. I refrain from calling people homers or trolls. To each their own. But there are three basic types as I see it. There are the eternal optimists who can see the sun through the thickest of clouds. We have quite a few of em on this board. These people are usually a bit self righteous and pat themselves, and those alike, on the back for having the fortitude to endure all manner of un-success, which they are able, with their Jedi mind tricks, to find success in. They truly believe this makes them the worthiest and most noble of fans. Then there are the eternal pessimists (no names mentioned). These guys, and there are relatively few of them thankfully, thrive on negative vibes as if it is their fuel. They are like cars in need of a new muffler as they spew their toxic waste unceasingly on all the passers by. They also pat themselves on the back as they leave no stone unturned. There will always be improvements that can be made, and they'll make sure you know what they are...all of them. The only useful purpose they serve is to balance the equation when too much sunshine is being pumped. And lastly, there are those who are like the ebb and flow of the tides. Perhaps they live more in the moment where their emotion/thoughts/evaluations actually correspond to the situation or circumstances at hand. Their world isn't falling apart when the Miners don't make the Dance but they might be disappointed, and won't hesitate to let it be known...to the dismay of a great many. They also aren't untethered and flying sky high into the stratosphere when their Miners beat, say, a tough Xavier team. But nor are they afraid to rejoice and sing the praises from the rooftops of a great game with all the individual and team efforts that stand out and come to mind as they drink their 9th beer as a celebratory gesture. I don't see any of these types as being "better" than any of the others, but I know where I fit along the spectrum. Again, to each their own, but for the love of Haskins up in heaven, let us all please stop the police-ing of others' opinions so gawd damn often. Back to you miner1liner. Don't take any of this personally...unless the shoe fits. And even then don't take it toooo personally.

Last edited:
Haven't heard from you in ages Luca and it's certainly not the up beat kind of message you used to post. Guess you have lost your "Hoorah"

Haven't lost my hoorah necessarily. In fact I have never been in the "fire Floyd" camp. Not at all. I can't wait until we become the team we were all hoping for when he arrived. I do know enough however that the idea that Floyd has some Haskins like loyalty to the program is simply not true. I am not even saying I have a problem with it. That ia just the nature of college basketball.

I am sure Coach Floyd is on top of this young men. Unfortunately some of this
young men thing they can get away with it. In basketball you only have 13 or 14
players of whom only have get playing time on most games.
In football you got 2 or 3 deep on every position, so the football coach can bench
or kick of the team a player or two. You are comparing apples and ora g

I could be described as "ebb and flow", but also "roll with the (stomach) punches". Such is the nature of UTEP sports, especially men's basketball. I do not want to have my hopes too high for football, even though my limited instincts tell me we will have a decent, if not great football team...

For me, it is usually a case of "wait and see." I have learned to temper my expectations, which is certainly the case for this year's hoops team. Perhaps a bit intuitive, but I predict that it may take time for the individuals to come together as a team.

Ummm yes he is trying to leave. You do know he interviews every off season for other jobs right???? You would think he would focus on trying to get UTEP basketball to the next level, but he is more focused on trying to land a better job.

Ummm yes he is trying to leave. You do know he interviews every off season for other jobs right???? You would think he would focus on trying to get UTEP basketball to the next level, but he is more focused on trying to land a better job.

Not saying he doesn't, and there are a couple situations that I'd consider to be murky at best, but do you have any proof of your claim?

"Leitao’s name was brought to DePaul’s administration through the Atlanta-based Parker Executive Search firm. Other candidates to interview for the DePaul head coaching job included Buffalo head coach Bobby Hurley and UTEP head coach Tim Floyd. Valparaiso head coach Bryce Drew’s name had also been linked to the DePaul job during the search process."

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...eitao-emerges-as-the-top-candidate-at-depaul/

Google Floyd interviews for Missouri job. The DePaul interview was around March after last years disappointing season. You would think he would at least take us to the NCAA Tourney before wanting to leave, but apparently he doesn't care about that.

Maybe I am wrong but I am not sold on some of those, a lot of reporters just throw names out there when they do stuff like this......

Difference between Kugler and Floyd is all about expectations.

Kugler hasn't had any in 2 years at UTEP until this year. Fans are expecting the same as last year or better if not it will be viewed as a failure for the football team

Floyd since stepping foot at UTEP has had high expectations. Has he met the expectations fans have put on him, no. But as Miner fans and Floyd supporters know he can get it done because he has proven to win everywhere in college. Floyd just didn't forget how to coach or handle his players when he came to El Paso.

In Floyd I Trust

Reactions: mikesarabia
"Leitao’s name was brought to DePaul’s administration through the Atlanta-based Parker Executive Search firm. Other candidates to interview for the DePaul head coaching job included Buffalo head coach Bobby Hurley and UTEP head coach Tim Floyd. Valparaiso head coach Bryce Drew’s name had also been linked to the DePaul job during the search process."

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...eitao-emerges-as-the-top-candidate-at-depaul/

Google Floyd interviews for Missouri job. The DePaul interview was around March after last years disappointing season. You would think he would at least take us to the NCAA Tourney before wanting to leave, but apparently he doesn't care about that.

Those are the one's I've heard of. I don't have enough info to make a determination either way. Like I said before, murky situations at best, tho.

Those are the one's I've heard of. I don't have enough info to make a determination either way. Like I said before, murky situations at best, tho.
Have you heard people ask Floyd how long he plans on being here??? He is yet to give an answer.
Its not murky. He interviewed for the Missouri job too a few years back. When he and Enfield got into that scuffle Enfield said something like Floyd is just mad he didn't get the USC job. His name has been linked to interviewing for 3 different schools in the 5 years he has been here. I say thats pretty concrete.

Have you heard people ask Floyd how long he plans on being here??? He is yet to give an answer.
Its not murky. He interviewed for the Missouri job too a few years back. When he and Enfield got into that scuffle Enfield said something like Floyd is just mad he didn't get the USC job. His name has been linked to interviewing for 3 different schools in the 5 years he has been here. I say thats pretty concrete.

People have egos. It's just as possible that he wants to be seen as a guy with options until he wins bigger here.

Interviewing for three schools in 5 years doesn't look like he is trying that hard to leave. Maybe he was asked to interview for those jobs. That doesn't mean he actively looked or that he would have taken another hc job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT