ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

There was still some hope since they were practicing with the team, but it looks like that was just out of courtesy.
You process words of (true) friends and family, professionals and others. You read the periodicals that follow your industry. You pray and ask decendants to send a sign.

But in the end you go with your gut and make a decision.

Who knows what this will mean. Hopes are that it could be intimidating to have him down low with Onyema. Still need more of an inside presence. Maybe more coming! This is an opportunity to see what genuine coaching is capable of doing to develop these guys .

Looks like he did improve from High School. He wasnt dunking that much in high school. Looks like he got stronger.

Need some muscle. He will get pushed around if he doesn't bulk up. Post moves look solid for JUCO level that should help when facing teams like NMSU, La Tech, ODU or WKU.

Reactions: Prospero915
Bonke! I like the name. Love the game. Very athletic for a center. Good basketball IQ. Love the dropstep half hook. Can finish with either hand. Gives me a bit of an idea of what kind of team CJG is arming if he likes traditional low post players. Hard to believe he's not getting looks from at least some P5 teams.

For me he harkens back to a time when some of those great African players were first developing. Hakim the Dream, Motumbo, and does anyone remember Francis Ezenwa.

Last edited:
Terry had great athletes, but couldn’t coach them. I’m looking forward to seeing a well-coached team again.

I think Golding can coach up 2 stars and once he earns a rep at this level the 3 stars and the occasional 4 star will come.

Terry had great athletes, but couldn’t coach them. I’m looking forward to seeing a well-coached team again.

I think Golding can coach up 2 stars and once he earns a rep at this level the 3 stars and the occasional 4 star will come.

He won in Fresno. It took him 4 years to win in Fresno he was in year 3 at Utep. Almost beat Kansas so I disagree with ur statement. Maybe he needed more time??

Bonke! I like the name. Love the game. Very athletic for a center. Good basketball IQ. Love the dropstep half hook. Can finish with either hand. Gives me a bit of an idea of what kind of team CJG is arming if he likes traditional low post players. Hard to believe he's not getting looks from at least some P5 teams.

For me he harkens back to a time when some of those great African players were first developing. Hakim the Dream, Motumbo, and does anyone remember Francis Ezenwa.
Grades?

He won in Fresno. It took him 4 years to win in Fresno he was in year 3 at Utep. Almost beat Kansas so I disagree with ur statement. Maybe he needed more time??
CRT lost 13 or more games in 5 out of 7 seasons. He lost 17 or more games in 4 out of 7 seasons.

He had 1 good season out of 7, arguably 2 good seasons if you’re content with 21-11. If you consider that winning, you will be easy to please. Just sayin.

Golding has been my guy from the start, but if he does as poorly as Terry did at Fresno State, I’ll be the first to bid him an adios.

Maybe so, but in my opinion we weren't going anywhere with Terry. He came to UTEP to slingshot his career. He had his shot in year 2, but It just didn't work out for numerous reasons. He did recruit some good players, but he just went about things all wrong.

Wow you can wait 4 years for Terry, but can’t wait 4 weeks for Golding?

Besides just the eye test would tell you that was a poorly-coached group of individuals playing a team game and getting their butts kicked by inferior athletes who actually played together.

Exactly not sure what the rush is on Golding we all know whatever he is getting now is just put the pieces together —- reminds me of when barbee left the team a mess ...

Wow you can wait 4 years for Terry, but can’t wait 4 weeks for Golding?

Besides just the eye test would tell you that was a poorly-coached group of individuals playing a team game and getting their butts kicked by inferior athletes who actually played together.

Can you wait 4 years for Golding?? People lost patience with Terry by like last year. I don't have problem with the hiring of Golding. I'm willing to give him 4 years win or lose. Can you ???

Now assuming Williams is gone, with what's coming back and yet to see all that gets added. I'd say .500 would be a stretch, but a nice start year 1. Year two 20 victories and CBI just for experience and year three sniffing the NCAA. I don't wanna wait 4 years and realistically with the portal we shouldn't have to. NMSU has had coach turnover and still done well there's no excuse for this to take more than 2 or 3 years.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I think year 1 way under 500

year 2 500

year 3 20 plus

year 4 top 3 cusa finish

can live with that

Exactly not sure what the rush is on Golding we all know whatever he is getting now is just put the pieces together —- reminds me of when barbee left the team a mess ...

Except that Barbee really didn't leave the team a mess. He left Floyd with an NCAA Tournament caliber team, and they would have indeed made the Tournament if Floyd hadn't run off Moultrie, or if they wouldn't have collapsed in the last five minutes of the CUSA Tournament. Then yes, the following year was going to be a rebuild, but Gillispie and Barbee inherited worse situations. There are worse situations for a new coach than inheriting an NCAA caliber team, then having the ability to shape your new roster, especially with an adoring and patient fan base (we were too adoring and patient) willing to give you time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
Now assuming Williams is gone, with what's coming back and yet to see all that gets added. I'd say .500 would be a stretch, but a nice start year 1. Year two 20 victories and CBI just for experience and year three sniffing the NCAA. I don't wanna wait 4 years and realistically with the portal we shouldn't have to. NMSU has had coach turnover and still done well there's no excuse for this to take more than 2 or 3 years.

I seriously don't understand some people's fascination with the CBI. That's like wanting to play post-season football in the Prada Museum Bowl at Marfa, Texas.

Nobody gives a shit about the CBI or any other alphabet soup post-season basketball tournament not abbreviated "NCAA" or "NIT."

I seriously don't understand some people's fascination with the CBI. That's like wanting to play post-season football in the Prada Museum Bowl at Marfa, Texas.

Nobody gives a shit about the CBI or any other alphabet soup post-season basketball tournament not abbreviated "NCAA" or "NIT."
It’s because football has made us that way with the parade of homes football bowl games and all the watered down mess it is..... if you don’t make a bowl game nowadays you really SUCK!

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Except that Barbee really didn't leave the team a mess. He left Floyd with an NCAA Tournament caliber team, and they would have indeed made the Tournament if Floyd hadn't run off Moultrie, or if they wouldn't have collapsed in the last five minutes of the CUSA Tournament. Then yes, the following year was going to be a rebuild, but Gillispie and Barbee inherited worse situations. There are worse situations for a new coach than inheriting an NCAA caliber team, then having the ability to shape your new roster, especially with an adoring and patient fan base (we were too adoring and patient) willing to give you time.
The reason I say mess with barbee is because of the number of people he had to replace that following year that was absurd!! He did leave great talent though

I'm right there with you. CBI is a financial loss for UTEP, it doesn't make sense to accept invitation

I'm right there with you. CBI is a financial loss for UTEP, it doesn't make sense to accept invitation
No one was biatching when UTEP played Oregon State in the finals years back? They offer, a team should take it IMO. That little nerdy date in high school will be a Jeff Bezos or Alice Walton some day. It really wasn't that long ago (well within most of our life times for some of the old farts on here) when the NIT was the "big dance" and the NCAA was sloppy.....well, you get my point. The worm does turn folks.

I don't love the CBI, but it can be good experience for a young team. Perfect example is UTEP in 2008 before the NCAA squad with Barbee.

If UTEP can get to a place where our floor is the CBI but we're good enough to be in the NCAA conversation and make it once or twice every four or five years, I'd be a happy guy.

Basically what we were from 2003-2011. I dont count the Floyd years after that because we should have been above that level by then.

Last edited:
It seems that for the past 11 seasons the coaches have just not been able to put (or keep/add) the right combo of players together for an NCAA caliber team. 14-16 was our best chance, but we missed out on a few players.

The CBI top teams are usually springboarded to the NCAA the following season. I wouldn't mind the CBI if we have an up and coming young team. The last CBI run we had under Barbee was really fun and we could all see what was coming the next year. If it's an older team that underachieved then yeah it sucks.

Last edited:
No one was biatching when UTEP played Oregon State in the finals years back? They offer, a team should take it IMO. That little nerdy date in high school will be a Jeff Bezos or Alice Walton some day. It really wasn't that long ago (well within most of our life times for some of the old farts on here) when the NIT was the "big dance" and the NCAA was sloppy.....well, you get my point. The worm does turn folks.
UTEP only agreed to be in that tournament if they didn’t have to host. Well, turns out the team we played in the 2nd round had the same deal. UTEP had to host Northeastern in the 2nd round and played at Richmond in the “Final 4”. Only because UTEP made the finals were fans “excited” for this.

Anyone who went to the Fresno game years later knows what a piece of shit the CBI is.

It's actually more of an accomplishment to make the CBI than a bowl. Half the teams make a bowl while a third make a tournament.
Accomplishment? Only if you’re willing to pay do you get in. They’ve taken plenty of teams with losing records.

Without looking it up, who won this year’s tournament and who was the biggest “name” in the field?

I don't love the CBI, but it can be good experience for a young team. Perfect example is UTEP in 2008 before the NCAA squad with Barbee.

If UTEP can get to a place where our floor is the CBI but we're good enough to be in the NCAA conversation and make it once or twice every four or five years, I'd be a happy guy.

Basically what we were from 2002-2011. I dont count the Floyd years after that because we should have been above that level by then.

"...it can be good experience for a young team"

Please explain how. I'm sincere in wanting to understand how a crap tournament that nobody cares about can be "good experience for a young team." If you're in the CBI it means you weren't a very good team that season. Good experience would be playing against good teams early in the season, not playing other crappy teams after the season has ended.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT