ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

I know you know some religions are very strict on that matter.
I know I was raised Christian. I'm just saying that's what college kids do, especially athletes. So that's a hard rule to liv,e by then get kicked out of school for.

This would not have happened on a Don Haskins team. It would have been buried in a deep hole and never seen the light of day.

The whole story was never released, apparently. I wonder if there is some gossip floating around out there somewhere.
The Haskin's team from the mid 80 to early 90's were very close and good friends. If things happened, it is amongst them and stayed with them to this very day, IMO. Second, they were constantly playing. You don't become that cohesive and good by looking for trouble. But by all means, they were no saints.

Now that's some outstanding news if it sticks. Great for UTEP, great for Miner fans and a 5 Star rating for Coach Joe. He saw obvious value in Tydus and Tydus likewise recognized that he is coming back to an upbeat program with hope for the future.
Way to go Coach. You are already a winner.
👆What he said

Reactions: minermx07
Now that's some outstanding news if it sticks. Great for UTEP, great for Miner fans and a 5 Star rating for Coach Joe. He saw obvious value in Tydus and Tydus likewise recognized that he is coming back to an upbeat program with hope for the future.
Way to go Coach. You are already a winner.
Not necessarily. Maybe Tydus didn’t see anything better out there and UTEP was his safety. Good for him to not burn any bridges. Golding didn’t have to take him back.

Tydus returning doesn’t mean Golding is “already a winner”.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
Not necessarily. Maybe Tydus didn’t see anything better out there and UTEP was his safety. Good for him to not burn any bridges. Golding didn’t have to take him back.

Tydus returning doesn’t mean Golding is “already a winner”.
He's a good rim defender. We need all the experienced Big Men we can get, I'll take it!

Reactions: Prospero915
Tydus and Bryson are probably the reason we haven't heard much outside recruiting news. May JGold has been concentrating his efforts on recruiting those two rather than looking outward first
If by some Miracle he retains Williams and we get one more bullseye shooter I like our chances to compete for top 4 in CUSA, this coming year.

I was hoping we would get a look from this guy. Unfortunately, he committed to Pitt.

Last edited:
If by some Miracle he retains Williams and we get one more bullseye shooter I like our chances to compete for top 4 in CUSA, this coming year.
That would be great but Golding does have some good shooters. Terry's offense was that frustrating and IMO, stymied the team. I don't mind Williams heaving up a three from time to time, especially when passing lanes clog up or collapse, but he shot a bunch that should have been Kennedy, Boum or Bienemy. Second, I am anticipating a better shooting year for Bienemy. Shooting is 99.9% psychological and the rest is physical (the shot).

Reactions: miner1liner
That would be great but Golding does have some good shooters. Terry's offense was that frustrating and IMO, stymied the team. I don't mind Williams heaving up a three from time to time, especially when passing lanes clog up or collapse, but he shot a bunch that should have been Kennedy, Boum or Bienemy. Second, I am anticipating a better shooting year for Bienemy. Shooting is 99.9% psychological and the rest is physical (the shot).
I hope we see better shooting from both Kennedy and Bieniemy as well. Kennedy shot 24% from 3 pt range, and 52.5% and the free throw line. Bieniemy was slightly better at 31% and 65%. Those numbers simply won't cut it at this level, especially considering the number of minutes they both played. I can see why Golding has been after shooters that can step in and play right away.

This next season will be very interesting from the standpoint of overall execution of a patterned offense and a defined defense while using basically the same roster that had absolutely no preparation from it's coaching staff last season.

I’m not degrading Tydus. Just pointing out that he might not have had the opportunities he thought he would when he decided to enter the portal.
You might be right. He is a big and tough defender, but still a bit inconsistent and not the elite rim defender we were hoping for. I thought would be more explosive coming in (because of all those blocked shots his freshman season).

He did get better last year and he is definitely experienced now. Glad he is staying.

Who knows. Maybe zero. Point is, I don't shit on players and base my evaluation on playing in pickup games or a rec league.

Well that's because you cant play. It's not my fault you dont have game. I saw his video and I wasnt impressed. It's nice Boston College got him. UTEP didnt need him.

You might be right. He is a big and tough defender, but still a bit inconsistent and not the elite rim defender we were hoping for. I thought would be more explosive coming in (because of all those blocked shots his freshman season).

He did get better last year and he is definitely experienced now. Glad he is staying.
After the Kansas and against La Tech, he showed he can defend the rim. He made improvement in what was a team helter skelter year. Hope is eternal.

Shooters?? On uteps team last year ?? Ummm where? You want Kennedy shooting the 3? We won’t hit 30 points a game like that... that’s the main reason we weren’t any good last year because we had one shooter at most

Shooters?? On uteps team last year ?? Ummm where? You want Kennedy shooting the 3? We won’t hit 30 points a game like that... that’s the main reason we weren’t any good last year because we had one shooter at most
We had two, just to be fair. But I get what you’re saying.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I saw Boum nailing many, Kennedy too. Bienemy either wouldn't pull the trigger or struggled. Agnew was inconsistent, don't know as to why? I saw it but didn't record it.

However, I am not saying CG should not get another sharp shooter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT