ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

Kennedy is a good defender and can drive the ball. His ability to defend 3 positions on he floor is key to this team as much as shooting from distance. Definitely needs to work on his shot though.
I like Kennedy’s defensive ability a lot. Like you said, he can basically guard 1-3. Feel like Golding can take his defense to the next level.

Also like his ability to drive. Just wish he’d do it more. Reminds me of Jeremy Williams who had that run down the center of the lane and finished with a monster dunk the first time we beat Memphis. He never did anything like it again. Kennedy had his against ASU, then never saw anything remotely resembling it again. The ability is obviously there though.

I like Kennedy’s defensive ability a lot. Like you said, he can basically guard 1-3. Feel like Golding can take his defense to the next level.

Also like his ability to drive. Just wish he’d do it more. Reminds me of Jeremy Williams who had that run down the center of the lane and finished with a monster dunk the first time we beat Memphis. He never did anything like it again. Kennedy had his against ASU, then never saw anything remotely resembling it again. The ability is obviously there though.
I think there is a role for Kennedy as well, but sharing minutes depending on matchup, etc. In terms of team needs, I think finding a 3 level scorer would be optimal. Those types of guys aren't easy to find, but it seems like a guy like BJ Maxwell could potentially fill that type of role. The guys that Golding is chasing says a lot.

That kid Mahorcic from Illinois St has Texas as one of his finalists. I think he may be more of a center though.

Reactions: Lil_Train

Kennedy is not as big and strong as Williams was. Both had a bunch of nice dunks, but yeah those 2 stand out.

I think one of the many things that was lacking from Terry's offense were any rim running plays. I think Kennedy could thrive on becoming a great defender and rim runner on offense. Sharpen the midrange, free throw shooting and rebounding and he will be a huge contributor the next 2-3 years (starting or not).

Last edited:
Kennedy is not as big and strong as Williams was. Both had a bunch of nice dunks, but yeah those 2 stand out.

I think one of the many things that was lacking from Terry's offense were any rim running plays. I think Kennedy could thrive on becoming a great defender and rim runner on offense. Sharpen the midrange, free throw shooting and rebounding and he will be a huge contributor the next 2-3 years (starting or not).
Yeah, not comparing their size/games to each other, but just the “isolated” dunks each had. I thought Williams had the potential to be really really good, as he even made some Team USA made of some of the best college players at the time. He was solid but could’ve been a beast. Hoping that Golding can pull the best out of Kennedy and I’m not left wondering why his potential was never tapped like I thought with JW.

Yeah, not comparing their size/games to each other, but just the “isolated” dunks each had. I thought Williams had the potential to be really really good, as he even made some Team USA made of some of the best college players at the time. He was solid but could’ve been a beast. Hoping that Golding can pull the best out of Kennedy and I’m not left wondering why his potential was never tapped like I thought with JW.
Yeah I get you, but I thought Williams WAS really good. He was one of my favorites from that team. Averaged 10/5 while shooting almost 40% from 3 as like the 4th or 5th option on offense. Dude had many big dunks too. I'm sure that even in that Memphis game he had like 3 big dunks and absolutely took over the game for an extended period of time. We just tend to remember that dunk down the lane because it was so spectacular.

For some reason we've had a bunch of guys like this over the past 10-12 years. They show flashes of amazing athleticism and then it disappears for awhile. I think we all agree that Kennedy can do it, but I'm just not sure he has that level of aggression. Hopefully Golding can help him find it.

Reactions: Lil_Train
We are off and runnin. We got our shooter, me thinks! Coach Joe; way to go. This will make the guard rotation very interesting. Add Saterfield to the three returning starters along with Agnew and that's pretty formidable.
Thanks Lil Train!!!
What makes you think he’s a good shooter out of curiosity?

We are off and runnin. We got our shooter, me thinks! Coach Joe; way to go. This will make the guard rotation very interesting. Add Saterfield to the three returning starters along with Agnew and that's pretty formidable.
Thanks Lil Train!!!
Yes if he is any good at all it will make for a very decent 5 guard rotation. Heck maybe even White can contribute...who knows.

Next hurdle is the BW saga, but I think at this point he will be impossible to replace. It's just taken way too long.

Reactions: miner1liner
Ended up at SMU
Since Clark ended up at SMU, Yor Anei has now left after coming over from OK St the year before. I think he will have to sit out a year, but if Golding thinks that Tydus and Onyema are gonna play PF then he could go after Anei. I think he would be pretty stout in CUSA. High level rim defender.

Yes if he is any good at all it will make for a very decent 5 guard rotation. Heck maybe even White can contribute...who knows.

Next hurdle is the BW saga, but I think at this point he will be impossible to replace. It's just taken way too long.
You may be right, but over half of the 1500+ guys that entered the transfer portal have not found a new home yet.

With Maring and Verhoeven, Golding just has to find the “right” fit. Who knows, maybe Onyema will thrive under his coaching as well.

I like where we’re headed and think in his first year, Golding will put a much better product on the floor than Terry did by his 3rd year.

You may be right, but over half of the 1500+ guys that entered the transfer portal have not found a new home yet.

With Maring and Verhoeven, Golding just has to find the “right” fit. Who knows, maybe Onyema will thrive under his coaching as well.

I like where we’re headed and think in his first year, Golding will put a much better product on the floor than Terry did by his 3rd year.
Maring seems to be the most skilled to play PF but let's see how he transitions at the D1 level. Yes I certainly agree with Golding setting the team up better for success.

Last edited:
See post 336 in this thread. His stats are excellent.
I don’t see where he got those stats... maybe I am looking at the wrong place but it said he was 40 percent from 3 but only took 8 shots all season....and 75 percent from free throw that doesn’t scream shooter to me... hope I am wrong or maybe looking at the wrong thing

Reactions: miner1liner
I don’t see where he got those stats... maybe I am looking at the wrong place but it said he was 40 percent from 3 but only took 8 shots all season....and 75 percent from free throw that doesn’t scream shooter to me... hope I am wrong or maybe looking at the wrong thing
Those were his freshman season stats that you saw. If you read axings post, those are his sophomore stats. Sure made the most of his opportunity when it arrived.

Those were his freshman season stats that you saw. If you read axings post, those are his sophomore stats. Sure made the most of his opportunity when it arrived.
C'mon DB. As stated you saw his freshman stats; not his sophomore stats, but even the freshman stats are impressive.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
C'mon DB. As stated you saw his freshman stats; not his sophomore stats, but even the freshman stats are impressive.
I did the same thing the first time I read his stats a couple weeks ago. For whatever reason his freshman stats were higher up on the Google search than his soph one’s. Wondered what the big deal was about him. Kept searching for more on him and came across his more recent stats. While his freshman stats were nice, his court time was very limited.

I hope this kid can bring the same precision to EP. We need a sharp shooter like nobody’s business.

there is a list in juco recruiting. Its not a ranking but UTEP players arent listed.
Yes I saw that list. I'm sure it just needs to be updated. I'm interested in seeing where these guys would rank in the top 100, but anyway we will find out soon enough when we see them play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT