ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

Well it is starting to look like a dana dimel football type class.... Hopefully it gets better.
Until they play I don't think u can say that. You're going purely based on ratings. That's not wise and hasn't proved to help Terry. Saterfield is a good scorer Period. I've seen him since he left Mayfield. He's a quality pickup. He'd kill everyone in your Rec League trust me lol 🤣

Until they play I don't think u can say that. You're going purely based on ratings. That's not wise and hasn't proved to help Terry. Saterfield is a good scorer Period. I've seen him since he left Mayfield. He's a quality pickup. He'd kill everyone in your Rec League trust me lol 🤣

Well thats how recruiting classes are graded these day. Utep will probably be ranked last in C-USA recruiting rankings. But like you said its still early hopefully Golding has a something under his sleave.

Reactions: kickballpro
Satterfield is NOT an outside shooter

He made two threes in 31 games- 2 for 5

wj34, joined 14 minutes ago...1 post? Get some cred, dude, so we don't think you're another multi-handled troll. Give up something positive or you'll be joining everybody's ignore list.

Last edited:
Thats odd. I was just on the Ranger site for stats for this past season and he was 48 for 102.
It appears we are both right

My figures were from his freshman year and the 47% is from his sophomore year

Still very odd that we went from 5 attempts from 3 as a freshman to 102 as a sophomore

He does have 3 years of eligibility left though so its a nice pickup

I don't think he had a lot of playing time as a freshman. Something like one minute per game.
He scored 12 ppg and took 257 shots and started all but one game as a freshman

Its as if he worked very hard at his outside shooting over the summer

It appears we are both right

My figures were from his freshman year and the 47% is from his sophomore year

Still very odd that we went from 5 attempts from 3 as a freshman to 102 as a sophomore

He does have 3 years of eligibility left though so its a nice pickup
When you are a pessimist you tend seek negatives to build your biased case.

EP Times article dated 5/14 says Golding expects to have his staff completed by 6/14 and that recruiting will really pick up in the next week or so. Golding says Verhoeven is his kind of player, doesn't need headlines just works hard. Also says he can be better on offense. The next couple of weeks should be fun.

Well it is starting to look like a dana dimel football type class.... Hopefully it gets better.
My Dear Mr Fili,
What development from Golding would alter your unimpressed mind? What were you expecting at this point?

From Day 1 of the Golding hire I have been concerned about his ability to recruit at a higher level. This is just because he hasn't done it before, not because I don't think he can. I'm not overly impressed so far, however I will give him (and any new recruits) a fair opportunity to prove themselves. Golding will have many opportunities to step up in talent over the next 2 years. Let's hope he can execute on and off the court.

Last edited:
From Day 1 of the Golding hire I have been concerned about his ability to recruit at a higher level. This is just because he hasn't done it before, not because I don't think he can. I'm not overly impressed so far, however I will give him the chance (and any new recruits) a fair opportunity to prove themselves. Golding will have many opportunities to step up in talent over the next 2 years. Let's hope he can execute on and off the court.
I think this year at least will be trying to mix in some decent players with the existing talent. I don't believe Williams is returning, but if he does we have a very solid Mid Major starting 5. If he leaves then we need a high quality replacement and idk if Golding can pull that off year 1.

From Day 1 of the Golding hire I have been concerned about his ability to recruit at a higher level. This is just because he hasn't done it before, not because I don't think he can. I'm not overly impressed so far, however I will give him the chance (and any new recruits) a fair opportunity to prove themselves. Golding will have many opportunities to step up in talent over the next 2 years. Let's hope he can execute on and off the court.
If you think back to The Haskins days; he didn’t always chase the 5 Star recruits. There were some exceptions, but his ability to develop talent to higher levels was his unique attribute. You need talent for sure, but you also need desire, attitude and team oriented goals. Give Golding a chance to see what he can do. I already feel that he can upgrade the caliber of play with what he has now over the last three years.

If you think back to The Haskins days; he didn’t always chase the 5 Star recruits. There were some exceptions, but his ability to develop talent to higher levels was his unique attribute. You need talent for sure, but you also need desire, attitude and team oriented goals. Give Golding a chance to see what he can do. I already feel that he can upgrade the caliber of play with what he has now over the last three years.
Yes I certainly agree that Golding will be a big step up in coaching ability, but I dont want it to be an excuse to always recruit down. I want him to recruit up AND coach up. I know it seems like a lot to ask at the moment, but that's how I want UTEP to be. I'm tired of messing around.

Last edited:
Feazell looks interesting. Sounds like somebody has been told not to hold their breath regarding Williams. If that is the case, then hopefully Golding has gotten the word out to his recruits.
Agree. Of the 4 recruits listed, this guy really grabs my attention. 13 and 10. Yes, please. The Maryland kid, even though his stats are modest, would no doubt help out too.

2 MICKEY PEARSON JR.​

• POSITION F
  • CLASS Redshirt Freshman
  • HEIGHT 6-7
  • WEIGHT 210
  • HOMETOWN Lincoln, Ala.
  • HIGH SCHOOL Hargrave Military (Va.)

Reactions: groundrounds
Vance Jackson just left Arkansas opening up a spot at PF. Don't be surprised if Bryson lands there soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT