ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

You guys are right. We need something to do in the mean time. I'll donate something to look forward to, maybe someone can drop some music vids, Unihorn can drop us some eye candy and saminergirl can donate some beefcake for the ladies and trolls.

Here is my donation: Something to look forward to.

In age where the second an athlete gets an offer they post to twitter that they're blessed, its incredible that a brand new coach hasn't blessed hardly anyone.

Once that's official then that's when we will see recruiting heat up.

Guys,
Please explain what the NCAA rules are regarding allowable practice time. It used to be Oct 15 preceeding the start of regular season.
We have ongoing sessions going on right now per some of the photos and videos with Golding and the players. How is this categorized in terms of NCAA regulations?

Reactions: groundrounds
Guys,
Please explain what the NCAA rules are regarding allowable practice time. It used to be Oct 15 preceeding the start of regular season.
We have ongoing sessions going on right now per some of the photos and videos with Golding and the players. How is this categorized in terms of NCAA regulations?

From what I kinda gather from listening to coaches on the Radio
Guys,
I believe a coach gets 8 hours per week with the team in the offseason. I believe that is total hours. I think if 6 hours are with the strength coach then only 2 hours of skills with the head coach. But I think the program can divide the 8 hours however they want and spread it over several days.

Looking into Feazell, I don’t think we’re going to land him either. He entered the transfer portal with the intention of testing the waters. He has the full support of his current coach to do so, and if he doesn’t attract the suitor he is looking for, he’s going to stay at McNeese for his final year.

It sucks and I hope it changes over the next few years with CJG leading the way, but at this point in time, utep just isn’t gonna move the needle for some guys.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Looking into Feazell, I don’t think we’re going to land him either. He entered the transfer portal with the intention of testing the waters. He has the full support of his current coach to do so, and if he doesn’t attract the suitor he is looking for, he’s going to stay at McNeese for his final year.

It sucks and I hope it changes over the next few years with CJG leading the way, but at this point in time, utep just isn’t gonna move the needle for some guys.
There will be more opportunities, but yes we need coaches that can coach AND recruit.

I agree. Hopefully we get both with CJG. Regarding Feazell, it doesn’t matter who is recruiting at UTEP. He wants a big name school.
He is not a big name school player. He needs to go mid major to continue to shine (or he will probably get lost in the mix).

Reactions: Lil_Train
The list of 6-7+ big men that can really be an impact next year has really dwindled. Unless Golding pulls a Golden Goose!

Well.....
I hate to say it, but I'm a bit let down at the inactivity. Coach Joe had the masses so pumped from the "get go" that maybe we overreacted to his hyper attitude. I'm nowhere close to giving up on him and will continue to give him the benefit of the doubt, because he's proven what he can accomplish and maybe with genuine coaching ability; who knows, maybe he will generate a winner with what he has on hand right now.

On the other hand there might still be some surprises awaiting.

Reactions: axingfools1
Can you please share this list of “impact big men”?
I can name a few: Tristan Clark and Jarius Hamilton were mentioned by the media. Yor Anei and Kevin Samuel I have mentioned. Both could be looking at a mid major spot to help rise their stock? BW is still unknown.

IMO to a lesser degree are Mickey Pearson and Feazell whom the media linked to UTEP recruiting. Franklin Agunanne was going to ACU before Golding left.

So far I give coach Golding a D- up to now. I would give him a F but because he was to bring back 1 big man he gets a D-. But for recruiting so far I give him a F. The 2 new recruits are pretty much blahh.

Dont tell me this oh give players some time . You dont know what you talking about. If this happened in New Mexico they would be throwing a fit

That’s ridiculous.... let him get the players he wants ... forget the star ratings and see what he does with them.... and honestly I wouldn’t even judge his recruiting until next year anyway...

Giving him a D- when he is what a month in a half into his job....

That’s ridiculous.... let him get the players he wants ... forget the star ratings and see what he does with them.... and honestly I wouldn’t even judge his recruiting until next year anyway...

That’s why he’s the board dum dum.

So far I give coach Golding a D- up to now. I would give him a F but because he was to bring back 1 big man he gets a D-. But for recruiting so far I give him a F. The 2 new recruits are pretty much blahh.

Dont tell me this oh give players some time . You dont know what you talking about. If this happened in New Mexico they would be throwing a fit
I think he has done well at creating a little excitement, reaching out to the community, saying the right things, showing enthusiasm and knowing our school and its history. He has done a good job at retaining players and adding a few good JC names. He has earned the benefit of the doubt because of his success at ACU.

I give him a B so far only due to the lack of adding an immediate impact transfer or recruit (specifically on the front line). There are still some proven impact players out there though. With everybody in our guard group back and at least 2 years to play, Golding REALLY needs to shore up our front line this off season.

Fili, UTEP won a national championship with a coach who came from a high school girls program.

UTEP also allowed a former rodeo clown to coach UTEP for a while.

I'm not "putting my hand up the cows ass (for a good steak). I'll take Golding's word", for now.

What

What grade do you give him??

Can you please share this list of “impact big men”?
It's in the NCAA Portal. There's still some not committed, that are eligible immediately. However we don't have a chance at most of them I suspect. That's why I say, Golfing will have to pull a 🐇 out of his hat.

Deng Dut has reopened his recruitment. Nevermind. False alarm.

Last edited:
So far I give him a legit C pre- season start. The new recruits have been slow, though I do like the Satterfield pick up. I give him the C for keeping all of our core guards and bringing back Tydus. We need a 6-7/6-8 jack knife and I don't know that he's still out there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT