ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

Sure would be nice to see Duece NM player of the year playing for the Miners.

Omar Duran.
#1 is like 90%.

Playing a fun, active style would contribute, as would making the overall environment fun. But EP likes a winner.

Reactions: JeeberD
How to fill the Don:
1. Win lots of important games
2. Have a hometown hero on the team
2. Is play good teams.

Only a small percentage of fans care where the players are from. Sean Kugler had like half the team from El Paso and nobody went to the games because the team was bad.

The Chapin kid might come here, but nobody is going to buy season tickets because he went to Chapin. Aside from his family anyway.

Reactions: JeeberD
2. Is play good teams.

Only a small percentage of fans care where the players are from. Sean Kugler had like half the team from El Paso and nobody went to the games because the team was bad.

The Chapin kid might come here, but nobody is going to buy season tickets because he went to Chapin. Aside from his family anyway.
I disagree with playing good teams. The football team plays great teams at least once a year most years and that hasn't helped. I actually think those butt kickings contribute to lower attendance. After we get blown out people start saying things like "they should just stop playing football." I understand why we play those games and am not against them but I don't think they help attendance

How to fill the Don:
1. Win lots of important games
2. Have a hometown hero on the team

I dont read #2 as hometown hero means someone from El Paso. Maybe I'm wrong.

But to me Fili, Randy, Wolfram, etc.... were hometown heroes. Meaning that El Paso showed up at the box office to watch them.

We haven't had a guy connect with the city in bit. A guy that makes you want to buy tickets.

I disagree with playing good teams. The football team plays great teams at least once a year most years and that hasn't helped. I actually think those butt kickings contribute to lower attendance. After we get blown out people start saying things like "they should just stop playing football." I understand why we play those games and am not against them but I don't think they help attendance
Football and Basketball Apples and Oranges, not the same at all.

But to me Fili, Randy, Wolfram, etc.... were hometown heroes. Meaning that El Paso showed up at the box office to watch them.

We haven't had a guy connect with the city in bit. A guy that makes you want to buy tickets.

Toffi and Lang were the last 2 players that I can think of that would fit that description.

2. Is play good teams.

Then UTEP will be playing predominantly on the road. Most of the A-lister programs will not want to come to El Paso.

When was the last time that we had #2? Someone that actually contributed? Mark McCall?
Depending on who you ask, "Hometown heroes" have have donned a Miner uni every decade. Haskins had a good local player in early 70's who died a few years ago I believe. Roshern Aime was a stud coming out of Andress in late 70's.

Jim Forbes and Nolan Richardson ware great EP HS players. Richardson graduated from Bowie while Forbes graduated from Bel Air.

Reactions: miner1liner
I watched the short Instagram videos with the new coaches. Interesting comments and expectations from all of them ( but especially Pierre). He said he really thinks UTEP can get back to prominence under Golding and that he is here to "'recruit better players'". He sounds confident too.

Jim Forbes and Nolan Richardson ware great EP HS players. Richardson graduated from Bowie while Forbes graduated from Bel Air.
Gus Bailey (Burges) Jake Poole (Burges) Ed Lynum (BA) Rudy Alvarez (BA) Beto Bautista (Austin) Tim Crenshaw, Jim Bowden and Terry White (Eastwood) all back in the day. Sound and good college players and the list gets longer when you include players who went off to college. Bailey made the NBA, Terry White was close.

Gus Bailey (Burges) Jake Poole (Burges) Ed Lynum (BA) Rudy Alvarez (BA) Beto Bautista (Austin) Tim Crenshaw, Jim Bowden and Terry White (Eastwood) all back in the day. Sound and good college players and the list gets longer when you include players who went off to college. Bailey made the NBA, Terry White was close.
Didn't Kenny John play for Haskins? He was an El Paso High graduate.

Didn't Kenny John play for Haskins? He was an El Paso High graduate.
Yes he did, little bit before my time. One year back in the 70s UTEP started 3 El Paso players (Forbes, Lynum and Bautista) and had two others on the roster who played (Keaton, Hills). I also remember a few years where there were two starters from EP. College game has changed a lot and although EP produces a few good players each year, many are not quite to the D1 level. The coaching in EP is pretty good overall but what hurts the talent pool is the lack of development programs/systems which other cities have and simple numbers. In LA, Houston and other talent sources HS kids have so many more opportunities to play against high level talent on a regular basis even in informal pick up games. This is a huge advantage that EP lacks in just about every high school sport.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Damm! Forgot about McCall ex (globetrotter), Forgive me I'm getting old and forgetful. I call you on Parker and throw in Jermey Primozvich, Merle Heimer and a Jose Escobedo and my last card Joe Dornan.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Tevin Caldwell was a great kid and hustler and played quite a bit early in the Floyd era, wasn't much of a scorer but the was tough. He played a Americas and was great around but never had much of of a jump shot. He and the Jones brothers are about the only thing we have had close to local in a long time.

Check out: https://krod.com/utep-and-goldings-new-staff-turns-focus-to-finalizing-recruiting-class/

I really like the way Golding is blatantly honest here and he explains their recruiting goals well. With this new staff its still a wait and see approach for me on recruiting, but I'm getting a lot more comfortable and excited for the season.
"Golding and his three assistant coaches—Jeremy Cox, Earl Boykins and Butch Pierre—plan to hit Philadelphia and Dallas this weekend..."

I have not read, heard or seen any type of narrative, sentence, comment with the words "UTEP basketball", "Philadelphia" and "recruiting" in the same sentence since the Sadler days (I'm sure Floyd did because he recruited the high school east coast pipeline but I know of no recruit he went after from Philly).

I did see that big man Samuel (TCU) signed with FGCU. It will be interesting to see who Golding finds for those last two spots.

Reactions: axingfools1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT