ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

Last year how many guys left--- was it 9
They are recruiting 2023 guys- not guys for this year
Well I dont think Z leaves. I think his parents like Golding. I think Sibley knows that he could be the guy. It's his team. I dont think it's such a bad thing that UTEP is a stepping stone to move up to a bigger school. UTEP should embrace ex players moving on to bigger schools. UTEP should use it as a recruiting tool.

This guy committed to east carolina a few years ago when he was a 2021 player
Not sure if he failed to qualify or what
Then last year averaged an underwhelming 8 & 5 at salt lake cc (very good juco team apparently)
He must be tearing up the juco offseason tournaments to have that much interest

This guy is already off the market. Really liked his upside.

Not a good idea; taking them to see our deadbeat Football team
It’s more like taking them to see our deadbeat football team to convince them to play for our deadbeat basketball team. After seeing Goldings recruiting ,I’m not too worried. We are probably competing with Middle of Nowhere Louisiana , Population of 400 -Southeastern College of Texas for those recruits.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
It’s more like taking them to see our deadbeat football team to convince them to play for our deadbeat basketball team. After seeing Goldings recruiting ,I’m not too worried. We are probably competing with Middle of Nowhere Louisiana , Population of 400 -Southeastern College of Texas for those recruits.
Did we not win 20 last year?? I don’t care who Golding recruits as long as he can win with those recruits

Reactions: miner1liner
Did we not win 20 last year?? I don’t care who Golding recruits as long as he can win with those recruits
It’s not difficult to win 20 games now days when you schedule a soft non-conference schedule and play in a weak ass CUSA. It’s not the old WAC days. Boum, Bienemy, and Kennedy were a huge part of the 20 win season and they are gone. IMO, Golding didn’t even come close to replacing them.

Last edited:
It’s not difficult to win 20 games now days when you schedule a soft non-conference schedule and play in a weak ass CUSA. It’s not the old WAC days.
They also beat some of the top teams in the conference and should have beat uab and middle Tennessee if keontay Kennedy wasn’t the most selfish prick on the planet.

Reactions: Lil_Train
They also beat some of the top teams in the conference and should have beat uab and middle Tennessee if keontay Kennedy wasn’t the most selfish prick on the planet.
An insignificant 20 win season.

Swept by NMSU
Blown out by only major conference team on the schedule
Couldn’t beat an average MVC team in DH Championship
Lost in CUSA quarters
Lost at home in 3rd rate tournament

An acceptable season for a 1st year coach, but let’s not act like he did an amazing job.

It’s not difficult to win 20 games now days when you schedule a soft non-conference schedule and play in a weak ass CUSA. It’s not the old WAC days. Boum, Bienemy, and Kennedy were a huge part of the 20 win season and they are gone. IMO, Golding didn’t even come close to replacing them.
That could be true but you can’t judge this recruiting process until the end of the year…. And trust me there are a lot of teams who don’t make 20 wins in conferences weaker than ours… 20 wins is 20…. I prefer that any day…. Golding may not recruit well according to stars but if puts the pieces to make a great team I Could care less about stars

Golding is still recruiting the type of players that he use to recruit at ACU. Those players are good for the WAC but not good enough for CUSA.

An insignificant 20 win season.

Swept by NMSU
Blown out by only major conference team on the schedule
Couldn’t beat an average MVC team in DH Championship
Lost in CUSA quarters
Lost at home in 3rd rate tournament

An acceptable season for a 1st year coach, but let’s not act like he did an amazing job.
He also had to come in and manage a locker room that was lead by players from the previous staff. Not to mention most of the key players did not like playing with keonte and he cost them possibly two huge wins late in the season(UAB and middle Tennessee) because he thought he was “the guy” and that he was too good for UTEP. Golding did okay, we will have a better gauge of him this year to see if he’s the guy who will turn this program around. He was there last night at the game having a good time.

He also had to come in and manage a locker room that was lead by players from the previous staff. Not to mention most of the key players did not like playing with keonte and he cost them possibly two huge wins late in the season(UAB and middle Tennessee) because he thought he was “the guy” and that he was too good for UTEP. Golding did okay, we will have a better gauge of him this year to see if he’s the guy who will turn this program around. He was there last night at the game having a good time.
Interesting take on KK. I haven't heard this before.

I think we will be happy with Hardy and Solomon, but we still have big question marks at PG and center. I like Z, but he needs to step up his game a few notches and I'm hoping we get lucky with at least one of our potential PGs. We may have a VERY limited rotation this year.

I think we will be happy with Hardy and Solomon, but we still have big question marks at PG and center. I like Z, but he needs to step up his game a few notches and I'm hoping we get lucky with at least one of our potential PGs. We may have a VERY limited rotation this year.
I have more confidence in Givance at the point than Onyema at Center or PF. Like you mentioned, Z will need to really step up his game. My main concern is his general lack of feel for the game. He often looks like a guy who started playing ball later than most guys (which he did). I can see him getting in a ton a foul trouble. I guess Kalu might be an option if he also makes an incredible leap. With him, I'm not sure I've seen a guy with worse hands. Add in zero post game, and you are effectively playing 4 on 5 on offense with Kalu in the game.

I have more confidence in Givance at the point than Onyema at Center or PF. Like you mentioned, Z will need to really step up his game. My main concern is his general lack of feel for the game. He often looks like a guy who started playing ball later than most guys (which he did). I can see him getting in a ton a foul trouble. I guess Kalu might be an option if he also makes an incredible leap. With him, I'm not sure I've seen a guy with worse hands. Add in zero post game, and you are effectively playing 4 on 5 on offense with Kalu in the game.
Do you omit Hamilton from consideration because you know he doesn't have it or because you don't know that much about him?
What scares me about Givance is his apparent shooting inability. At crunchtime your point will be the target & spending time at the line. Shooting 66% is not what you want. From his videos compared to Sumlin and Lemus there could be some stiff competition for the point.

Do you omit Hamilton from consideration because you know he doesn't have it or because you don't know that much about him?
What scares me about Givance is his apparent shooting inability. At crunchtime your point will be the target & spending time at the line. Shooting 66% is not what you want. From his videos compared to Sumlin and Lemus there could be some stiff competition for the point.
On Hamilton, I've heard he is a project. First phase would be getting his weight down to gain some mobility. He was around 290 lbs when he first arrived to campus. He has a decent touch inside, but struggles on the defensive end. So, from what I've heard, it may take some time to adjust to D1. I heard similar things about Maring last year without the weight concerns.

From what I've heard, Givance is the guy who will likely be running the team. He's obviously small, but can penetrate the defense with his quickness. Very different from a guy like Bieniemy, obviously. He's a guy that's played a ton of minutes at the D1 level. I haven't heard much on either Sumlin or Lemus. Lemus is more of a shooter, but in JC, was a volume scorer with poor shooting percentages. I'm not sure how well that will translate to D1. On Sumlin, he does play hard and is a strong athlete, but he needs to improve his outside shot. I do think there is a chance for the overall depth to be better than last year, although I don't think the top end talent in the backcourt will be as good. I think a guy like Solomon can be really good in Golding's system. He can really get after it defensively.

Train. I just looked at some stats on Givance(who I agree will be the PG) and Lemus.
Ppg. Fg% 3pt% Ft%

Givance. 13.7. 41.1. 30.8. 66.7

Lemus. 13.1. 47.1. 39.8. 80.9

Different levels of competition i know, but those %'s are pretty impressive. I was all excited last year about Saterfield's numbers, but then we discovered he was just a catch and shoot guy with no other creative offensive game. Lemus appears to have a more complete game; not afraid to take it inside.

Train. I just looked at some stats on Givance(who I agree will be the PG) and Lemus.
Ppg. Fg% 3pt% Ft%

Givance. 13.7. 41.1. 30.8. 66.7

Lemus. 13.1. 47.1. 39.8. 80.9

Different levels of competition i know, but those %'s are pretty impressive. I was all excited last year about Saterfield's numbers, but then we discovered he was just a catch and shoot guy with no other creative offensive game. Lemus appears to have a more complete game; not afraid to take it inside.
Yes, different levels of competition and style of play between JC and D1. Plus, I think those Lemus stats are from his first year at Chipola. His second year numbers dropped. I agree Givance's shooting percentages aren't great, especially at the line where you want your PG to be better. Speaking of Saterfield. I'm hoping Lemus is able to fill in similar role. He is a better shooter than most of the other new guards, and unlike Saterfield, is more comfortable putting the ball on the floor. I'm actually thinking Zachery may be the backup PG, but he isn't a shooter either. Golding has some options at the guard spots this year, but finding multiple scoring options is a key. We saw last year what happened if either Boum, Bienemy, or Kennedy were off/out...we had a real hard time scoring.

Last edited:
We better hope that Sumlin shows a LOT. Or maybe one of the other underclassmen guards stand out. Givance might be the best option right now, but he seems to be a fill in, a senior that was looking for something new on a younger rebuilding team. Really I'd rather see a younger guy that can grow with the team and be a leader this year and next year.

PG will not be a problem
There are FIVE guys that have played point guard
And the competition is a good thing
Well; we can all enjoy the drama unfold as coach developes his lineup. Sure hope something stable exists when we play The Beard Boys right off the bat on Nov 7th. That will be the ultimate test with our brand new group.

We better hope that Sumlin shows a LOT. Or maybe one of the other underclassmen guards stand out. Givance might be the best option right now, but he seems to be a fill in, a senior that was looking for something new on a younger rebuilding team. Really I'd rather see a younger guy that can grow with the team and be a leader this year and next year.
As soon as one of the pg's start looking really good, he will be gone before next season so I don't see that kind of continuity happening.

I dont agree with his KK take. If players didnt like playing with him why would they react to his IG posts?? Boum,Sibley,Bryson Williams and other members react to his posts. If they didn'tike him they wouldnt be reacting to his posts.

I dont agree with his KK take. If players didnt like playing with him why would they react to his IG posts?? Boum,Sibley,Bryson Williams and other members react to his posts. If they didn'tike him they wouldnt be reacting to his posts.
It is not a take. I am sure they liked him off the court, but on the court there were issues just like there are on almost any team. Its the coaches job to manage and mitigate that and I think Godling did a good job. Go back and watch games early in the season before he got hurt and watch his reactions whenever Souley would miss a shot. Again, he tried being a hero and cost them a shot at the conference championship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT