ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP BB Recruiting Class

This is still a rebuilding year we have to replace 43 points a game 25 rebounds a game. This team has a huge hole at center. Artis only averaged 6 and 2 in two years at oregon with much better talent around him than he will have next year, and he hasnt played competitive basketball in over a year. I think we are looking at 14 wins. This team is too raw and lacks a center which will allow teams to dominate us on the boards.

I know Hunter declared for the NBA, is he pretty much done or can he still come back if he chooses too? Has he signed with an agent?

Vince Hunter is done. He is going to the NBA, he is going to get drafted.
Besides all schollies are gone.

GO Miners....

This is still a rebuilding year we have to replace 43 points a game 25 rebounds a game. This team has a huge hole at center. Artis only averaged 6 and 2 in two years at oregon with much better talent around him than he will have next year, and he hasnt played competitive basketball in over a year. I think we are looking at 14 wins. This team is too raw and lacks a center which will allow teams to dominate us on the boards.

Dude seriously? You are nuts. While we have to stay conservative seeing we have so many new guys, but your take is crazy.

Huge hole at center? Matt played here last year, remember? That means EXPERIENCE. While he isn't Shaq, he does have game experience and now that his shoulder is healed, he should be improved. Hooper can cover minutes. Maybe not NBA type of minutes, but minutes. And what about Winn?
Artis was an underclassman at Oregon. You think maybe he was just learning? Adapting? You think it just "might" be possible our guys match him well and we will be fine?

Friggin glass empty people drive me nuts.

Remember me at the end of the year. 25+ wins.

I hope you're right, but i think everybody is forgetting we are losing are top four scorers and most of our rebounding. Thats alot of points and rebounds to replace.

Yes Artis was a talented high school player but he has yet to come close to justifying his ranking in high school. Hopefully he finds is form but i think it will be a slow start especially with the the youth and inexperience around him.

We dont have one guy on the roster that has proven as of yet to be a legit d-1 center. Ive always said next year we will miss lang more than vince because of the lack of depth at center. Hopefully one of the guys steps up.

I hope you're right. I would be happy to be wrong i hope we win 25 games. I just think its very hard for any program to lose as much scoring and rebounding as we are and be better the next year.

I keep saying and I could be wrong but I think we are gonna be a lot better offensively this year....actually think this might be the best offensive team floyd has put togther

While we did lose our top 4 scorers, that's partially because they were the guys getting all the minutes. When new guys get the minutes, they will get the points. Can you honestly say any of our scorers from last year scared our opponents for their scoring abilities? Sure, some of the new guys will just not be that good because honestly, everyone looks good on paper. (or social media)

I heard on the Herd the other day and interesting comment from Colin that would apply to your point about Artis. "Almost never is a guard a bust". I guess we shall see.....

It's weird losing 4 starters and coming in fresh. I think it just might be a good thing.

I joke a lot about CUSA being a one bid league, but this league is tougher than given credit for. The problem is that CUSA has a crappy commish who only gets off his ass when the fire under his chair gets to big to withstand.

We have centers who can play, and with a true pg, the glass is half full. Certain players from last year will be missed more than others, IMO.

luxfg.jpg

Reactions: MistaBinks
My only concern is the toughness of this team. Seems like there is alot of finesse. But Lang and Hunter would bang down in the blocks and do some dirty work. Julian was thick and a hard nosed, mean defender.

This group coming back and coming in is too nice. Their skinny and I don't see any dirty, mean players from the returners.

Winn is a thicker kid and rebounded well in the Orange/White Scrimmage last year.

Reactions: develman
I keep saying and I could be wrong but I think we are gonna be a lot better offensively this year....actually think this might be the best offensive team floyd has put togther

I completely agree, it appears that the guards will be much better this coming year.

As far as wins go, I think we should have at least 20 but 25+ seems a little unlikely. I hope I'm wrong because it looks like the talent is there and these guys are certainly capable of getting 25+. If they quickly develop some chemistry maybe they can surprise people.

It's interesting that people will complain about how crappy some of our seniors are one year and suggest that they'll be hard to replace the next. I agree that Ced will be the most missed with Hunter next.

We replace Cooper at point with Artis, a definite improvement in terms of points.
Washburn's defense will be sorely missed but he was not a scoring machine (that was not his role although he is capable).
Hunter is replaced by several decent players so we don't have to worry as much when one of them fouls out. Last year when Hunter fouled out in a big game it meant that we were about to lose. Hunter has strengths (hustle) and weaknesses (out of control and playing solo ball).
Lang will leave a big hole. I don't think we'll have anyone capable of filling his size 14s until tournament time or the following year. It will be up to CTF to adjust. Maybe Willms will surprise us

In the mean time we have a lot of experience returning.

I'm not going to predict a number of wins but I think we will go 2 games deep into the tourney.

Friggin glass empty people drive me nuts.

Remember me at the end of the year. 25+ wins.

People who are glass half empty all of the time drive me nuts. But so do people who are always glass half full. Personally, I like to try to objectively assess a situation, and then determine how well or how badly I think that things will go.

After the 2011-12 season I was extremely optimistic about the future. Our top two scorers were a sophomore (Bohanon) and a freshman (Washburn). We had some other freshman talent that looked promising (Lang, Cooper, Campbell). With the expected maturity of these players and another recruiting class coming in I told everyone who would listen that we were going to be really good the following season, and lights out in 2013-14, with a trip to the NCAA Tournament an almost sure bet. While the 2012-13 season didn't end up quite as well as I had hoped, I was still bullish on our 2013-14 prospects, with Hamilton, Hunter, and Speight set to join a veteran group. Obviously that season didn't work out as well I had expected either.

The point of the above is that I'm not always a glass half empty guy. I have been very optimistic on the prospects of several Miner basketball teams in the past. I just don't see how anyone can, given what we know right now, predict anywhere near 25 wins for next year's team.

As has been pointed out, we lose 4 out of our top 5 scorers. We lose three of our top four rebounders. We lose both our best interior defender (Lang) and best perimeter defender (Washburn). In fact, Washburn was the best defensive player in CUSA last year, and one of the best defensive players in the country. Three of our four key departures (Hunter, Lang, and Washburn) were far and away our best players last season.

So who do we have returning? Up front we have Willms and Vint. Is there anyone here truly impressed with Willms so far? In my eyes he has been far from the game changer that Floyd promised us when he recruited him. As far as Vint goes, while I do think he tries hard, he lacks talent, and is a huge liability on defense.

On the wing we do return Morris, which is a good thing. Morris had some absolutely huge games for us last year. Unfortunatley he also had some games werehe was a no show. Still, I expect some big things from him next year with a full season now under his belt.

In the backcourt we have Harris. He definitely showed some flashes of brillance last year; at other times he looked like a freshman. There is, of course, the old saying: "The best things about freshmen is that they become sophomores", and I think that there is a very good chance that Omega takes a big step forward next year. That is cerainly not guaranteed, however.

Of course we do have some redshirts returning that have seen time in a Miner uniform. The last time we saw Flaggert, he was a decent spot up shooter, but was scared to death of putting the ball on the floor. And Caldwell is a nice defender, but has absolutely no ofensive game.

We do have one newcomer with Div 1 experience, Artis, but I'm not as excited as some others. He obviously had great HS credentials, but what matters now is how he's performed in college, which has so far been mediocre at best. I hope that he becomes the superstar point guard that some here expect him to be, but it is far from a sure thing that he will.

Beyond those players mentioned above, everyone is pinning their hopes on players that have never played a single game at this level. There only reason that I can see for predicting 25 wins, or that we will in any way get better, is wishful thinking.

Maniac, as usual, you make some damn good points. Every year about this time, I buy into the hype around the recruits. Until the scrimmage games gets here and I can watch the newbies play a little, I should probably keep my mouth (or fingers) quiet. :)

Honestly though, while we did lose our top scorers, rebounders, defender, etc....who's to say our new team won't be better? I sure the hell hope they are because we didn't get anywhere with them! While I am banking on a lot of unknowns in predicting the 25 wins, I think I am still comfortable reaching out there with a big number.

I worry about Flaggert. If memory serves me correctly, his foot speed seems slow. Maybe it was because he was tentative being a freshman.

Maybe I should stop looking through these damn orange glasses!

Btw, I don't got half full or half empty. I will, however, go off half-cocked. o_O

I hope you're right, but i think everybody is forgetting we are losing are top four scorers and most of our rebounding. Thats alot of points and rebounds to replace.

Yes Artis was a talented high school player but he has yet to come close to justifying his ranking in high school. Hopefully he finds is form but i think it will be a slow start especially with the the youth and inexperience around him.

We dont have one guy on the roster that has proven as of yet to be a legit d-1 center. Ive always said next year we will miss lang more than vince because of the lack of depth at center. Hopefully one of the guys steps up.

I hope you're right. I would be happy to be wrong i hope we win 25 games. I just think its very hard for any program to lose as much scoring and rebounding as we are and be better the next year.

The last number 1 JUCO player that UTEP had was Fili, and he turned out to be a pretty good fit. If Artis can come anywhere near the impact that Fili made, we will be a better team next year.

People who are glass half empty all of the time drive me nuts. But so do people who are always glass half full. Personally, I like to try to objectively assess a situation, and then determine how well or how badly I think that things will go.

After the 2011-12 season I was extremely optimistic about the future. Our top two scorers were a sophomore (Bohanon) and a freshman (Washburn). We had some other freshman talent that looked promising (Lang, Cooper, Campbell). With the expected maturity of these players and another recruiting class coming in I told everyone who would listen that we were going to be really good the following season, and lights out in 2013-14, with a trip to the NCAA Tournament an almost sure bet. While the 2012-13 season didn't end up quite as well as I had hoped, I was still bullish on our 2013-14 prospects, with Hamilton, Hunter, and Speight set to join a veteran group. Obviously that season didn't work out as well I had expected either.

The point of the above is that I'm not always a glass half empty guy. I have been very optimistic on the prospects of several Miner basketball teams in the past. I just don't see how anyone can, given what we know right now, predict anywhere near 25 wins for next year's team.

As has been pointed out, we lose 4 out of our top 5 scorers. We lose three of our top four rebounders. We lose both our best interior defender (Lang) and best perimeter defender (Washburn). In fact, Washburn was the best defensive player in CUSA last year, and one of the best defensive players in the country. Three of our four key departures (Hunter, Lang, and Washburn) were far and away our best players last season.

So who do we have returning? Up front we have Willms and Vint. Is there anyone here truly impressed with Willms so far? In my eyes he has been far from the game changer that Floyd promised us when he recruited him. As far as Vint goes, while I do think he tries hard, he lacks talent, and is a huge liability on defense.

On the wing we do return Morris, which is a good thing. Morris had some absolutely huge games for us last year. Unfortunatley he also had some games werehe was a no show. Still, I expect some big things from him next year with a full season now under his belt.

In the backcourt we have Harris. He definitely showed some flashes of brillance last year; at other times he looked like a freshman. There is, of course, the old saying: "The best things about freshmen is that they become sophomores", and I think that there is a very good chance that Omega takes a big step forward next year. That is cerainly not guaranteed, however.

Of course we do have some redshirts returning that have seen time in a Miner uniform. The last time we saw Flaggert, he was a decent spot up shooter, but was scared to death of putting the ball on the floor. And Caldwell is a nice defender, but has absolutely no ofensive game.

We do have one newcomer with Div 1 experience, Artis, but I'm not as excited as some others. He obviously had great HS credentials, but what matters now is how he's performed in college, which has so far been mediocre at best. I hope that he becomes the superstar point guard that some here expect him to be, but it is far from a sure thing that he will.

Beyond those players mentioned above, everyone is pinning their hopes on players that have never played a single game at this level. There only reason that I can see for predicting 25 wins, or that we will in any way get better, is wishful thinking.

That is a level headed perspective in my opinion. There are times where a cautious, wait-and-see approach is almost seemingly vilified on this forum because it does not honor the glass-half-full mentality. There is a lot of wishful thinking on here. I won't knock it because for one, I've been there, and two, it's a lot better than what the doom and gloomers have to say.

I can appreciate your post. A rare perspective, indeed. Not a glass half full, but not a glass half empty either. More like a pragmatic middle-way, so often attributed to the Buddhists.

Last edited:
PG UpgradedUpgraded and Experienced bench
SG Experienced Scorer and Bench
SF- question mark and FR with Potential
PF- Question mark, But Winn has potential
C- Experience, but haven't proved they can lead, so we'll see

Overall, I think Floyd should schedule light in the pre season and let this team gel for conference. If he does 22-25 games and a run at the tourney is possible especially if it comes back to EP

UTEP has enough talent not to be dreadful , but maybe we should wait to see the schedule to make 25 win season predictions . UTEP is good enough to have 14 to 16 "locked in"(probable) wins . The question is how well we do in the other 14 to 16 games against the decent/good teams . Too many players with NO div.1 experience , in my opinion to make that bold of a prediction at this point , lets not forget not everyone is on campus either. How many times has that bitten us in the proverbial ass . So for now, I guarantee 15 wins , in October I will revise .

Reactions: STCarlosEP
UTEP has enough talent not to be dreadful , but maybe we should wait to see the schedule to make 25 win season predictions . UTEP is good enough to have 14 to 16 "locked in"(probable) wins . The question is how well we do in the other 14 to 16 games against the decent/good teams . Too many players with NO div.1 experience , in my opinion to make that bold of a prediction at this point , lets not forget not everyone is on campus either. How many times has that bitten us in the proverbial ass . So for now, I guarantee 15 wins , in October I will revise .

You can bet it will be a weak schedule. Lots of Southland and SWAC teams in the non-conference, maybe 1 P5 and 1 MWC team. Oh yeah, I forgot Oakland is coming here. Score!

I said I would not be sucked into your(Carlos) moronic posts, but I have a solution for you and your loser attitude. Just don't follow any or attend any UTEP events. You won't be so miserable and disappointed at their inept performance. Direct your attention to something more positive to lift your spirits. Let the rest of us take care of enjoying the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

Reactions: UTEPy79
Sorry, but I love UTEP sports, I just don't get excited about beating crappy teams like you might. If UTEP won important games and beat name opponents, you would see different, more positive twist to my posts. You don't see me bitching about the football team do you? They appear to be on their way up and improved greatly between year 2 and year 1. Can't say the same about the basketball team can you?

I don't celebrate recruiting rankings or moral victories. Those are for losers (most UTEP fans)

I completely agree, it appears that the guards will be much better this coming year.

Not having Cooper is addition by subtraction. Our Guards will be tougher, quicker, bolder and defend like our hair is on fire. We'll replace Lang/Hunter by committee but Washburn's shut-down defense will be missed. Here's hoping the team gels, Matt shocks the basketball world and the Conference scores some huge NC upsets.

Reactions: Elporange
Sorry, but I love UTEP sports, I just don't get excited about beating crappy teams like you might. If UTEP won important games and beat name opponents, you would see different, more positive twist to my posts. You don't see me bitching about the football team do you? They appear to be on their way up and improved greatly between year 2 and year 1. Can't say the same about the basketball team can you?

I don't celebrate recruiting rankings or moral victories. Those are for losers (most UTEP fans)

UTEP has beaten since Floyd has been here.

Michigan
Memphis
Tennessee
Xavier
Oregon
Clemson
Auburn

I don't think the football team has any big wins.

Reactions: picks up

Most UTEP fans are losers? Why do you hang around us, your highness?

BTW, what does it take to get banned from this place?

Reactions: picks up

Michigan
Memphis
Tennessee
Xavier
Oregon
Clemson
Auburn

While those names are "big", when you look at the wins, they aren't that impressive.

Michigan - probably Floyd most "impressive" win here. On a neutral court, Miners had lost to GaTech right before. Oh and ZERO Floyd recruits were on that team. Coincidence?

Memphis - same year as Michigan game, but Memphis was in our conference then and we lost to them when it MATTERED. If you think a conference home game vs an unranked team is big, then okay!

Tennessee - Who can forget beating the Vols, and then getting wiped out by Iowa the next night in the Bahamas. Miners were able to capitalize on this win a few weeks later by losing at home to New Orleans (no, not the Pelicans) and by making the CBI, losing in the first round of course.

Xavier - Another solid win on a neutral court, of course the Miners lost to an awful Washington team in the championship and lost to an injury riddled NMSU team a week later. Landmark victory I suppose!

Oregon - Who can forget that 3 OT classic win at the Don vs Oregon. Especially after UTEP went 0-3 in the Old Spice Classic. 2 of the games in blowout fashion. Oregon actually ended up playing pretty well at the end, unlike UTEP who didn't even play in the CIT or CBI.

Clemson - Another neutral court win over a team that went 16-15 that win. Awesome!

Auburn - Who can forget that win over Auburn in the same tournament? Auburn hasnt been to the NCAA Tournament since 2003. If you're counting them a big name, then it shows you how there is nothing to show for. Why didn't you count Washington St or Kent St then? UTEP had a losing record the year they beat Clemson and Auburn. Just like all Floyd teams, they couldn't capitalize on their good wins, because they followed them with bad losses. What do all those games up there have in common? None were played on the road. Either neutral site or home game. Floyd's attempts versus good teams on the road is awful. BYU, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado St, Oregon, UNLV, Murray St - all winnable games, but ZERO wins.

The football team hasn't beat a P5 since 1967, but we're a "basketball school" right? The football team is making progress, but anytime they play a P5 school, I will pick them to lose until they beat one.

We can't mad when we lose those big games when Floyd schedules tough? That's what fans want a good schedule. Have you seen the utep football home schedule? What a joke of a schedule. Utep should win 8 games next season anything less is a failure.

Most UTEP fans are losers? Why do you hang around us, your highness?

BTW, what does it take to get banned from this place?
It depends on your perspective. It seems the troll(s) will not be banned but those who get pissed at the troll(s) and give him enough hell will be banned. That's what happened to me, anyway. The admin seems to think the troll(s) is valuable so count on him being a never ending part of this forum.

The only way to make this place tolerable is to use the ignore function.

We can't mad when we lose those big games when Floyd schedules tough? That's what fans want a good schedule. Have you seen the utep football home schedule? What a joke of a schedule. Utep should win 8 games next season anything less is a failure.

UTEP loses all important games. Out of those you listed. None were in the Top 25 at the time. Yeah the UTEP football schedule is extremely weak from a home game perspective. That's how it is because Stull knows he has 20,000 hardcore fans that will show up no matter what.

Same goes with basketball, Stull knows he'll get 7,000 for every home game so why schedule better? There is no incentive for him to get a little bit better opponents.

UTEP has no expectations, for anything. Sandra Rushing coached here forever and didn't accomplish anything. Then they finally got rid of her and look what happened. They got a good coach and she won games! Now she has it made in the shade and she can have 10 crappy seasons and Stull still won't fire her.

Floyd will coach here as long as he wants because all the old season ticket holders will cancel because he fired a Haskins guy. Stull needs to go more than anybody.

Because of UTEPs tradition and success of previous coaches, there's no excuse to have missed the tourney 5 years in a row. Especially since he was so great etc.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I don't think Floyd should schedule road games against teams like Colorado St. Road should be against like top 25 teams power 5type teams. I don't think either team help each other by playing each other. New Mexico is allowed cause they are a rival. Schedule should be like

1. Get in a pre season tourney
2.road games only against pre season top 25 team or power 5 conference
3.only schedule NMSU once
4. Sun Bowl BBall tourney put more money into this tourney and get better teams in it.
5. Schedule no teams that have high RPIs.
6. Atleast try and get 1 big name team to come to El Paso.

Tim Floyd has been mostly doing that I just wouldn't be playing mid major schools on the road. I know Floyd has to do that if he wants UNLV or CSU to come to el Paso. Idont think its a good idea.

Reactions: STCarlosEP

Michigan
Memphis
Tennessee
Xavier
Oregon
Clemson
Auburn

I don't think those wins you mentioned were considered big wins. The Michigan and Memphis wins were good quality wins. Like STCarlos said, the wins against Michigan and Memphis were with Barbee's players. That just shows Barbee had this program very competitive with Memphis in 4 years he was here. Floyd has been here for 6 seasons and we can't even get past Middle Tennessee in the CUSA Tournament.

Since Floyd has been here. for 6 years, yes 6 years....
-Zero NCAA Tournament Appearances
-Zero CUSA Regular season Champions
-Zero CUSA Tournament final appearances.
-2 NIT Appearances and both times we got blown out in those games.
And CUSA is one the worst conferences in college basketball.

But as long Floyd beats big teams like Clemson and Auburn, he is doing a great job here.

I don't think Floyd should schedule road games against teams like Colorado St. Road should be against like top 25 teams power 5type teams. I don't think either team help each other by playing each other. New Mexico is allowed cause they are a rival. Schedule should be like

1. Get in a pre season tourney
2.road games only against pre season top 25 team or power 5 conference
3.only schedule NMSU once
4. Sun Bowl BBall tourney put more money into this tourney and get better teams in it.
5. Schedule no teams that have high RPIs.
6. Atleast try and get 1 big name team to come to El Paso.

Tim Floyd has been mostly doing that I just wouldn't be playing mid major schools on the road. I know Floyd has to do that if he wants UNLV or CSU to come to el Paso. Idont think its a good idea.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I would rather play MWC teams in the road than play Northwestern St here though. Schedule any MWC team other than Air Force and San Jose with a home and home is fine with me.

For the most part, UTEP does play in a pre season tourney, but this year's won't be as good as the past.

I have no problem playing NMSU twice. Its a highly attended game and we have to return the favor to get it. So be it.

The Sun Bowl tournament is a tough draw. I liked this year's field. Although, we shouldn't be putting SWAC teams in it anymore. Get a team like NJIT, SE Missouri St, TAMUCC, Hampton, or another school we don't see too often. The SBC would have to up their pay a lot to get a name school here. They can make more money playing at home or in a different tourney. The best we can hope for are Nebraska type schools. Good at football, traditionally suck at hoops.

The RPI thing is tricky. Just gotta avoid the teams that are always in the 300s.

I don't think those wins you mentioned were considered big wins. The Michigan and Memphis wins were good quality wins. Like STCarlos said, the wins against Michigan and Memphis were with Barbee's players. That just shows Barbee had this program very competitive with Memphis in 4 years he was here. Floyd has been here for 6 seasons and we can't even get past Middle Tennessee in the CUSA Tournament.

Since Floyd has been here. for 6 years, yes 6 years....
-Zero NCAA Tournament Appearances
-Zero CUSA Regular season Champions
-Zero CUSA Tournament final appearances.
-2 NIT Appearances and both times we got blown out in those games.
And CUSA is one the worst conferences in college basketball.

But as long Floyd beats big teams like Clemson and Auburn, he is doing a great job here.

It's only been 5 though. He just finished his 5th season, but you're about everything else. Most on here don't want to see that though. Most on here have zero expectations and that's why we're in CUSA. Because Floyd has Haskins ties, the old guard will defend him no matter what.

They refuse to answer the question of how Barbee was able to get it done in 4 years in a much tougher CUSA and Floyd hasn't really come close in 5. They will say it's because he got Derrick Caracter. Like its Barbees fault he was able to get a talented player and Floyd hasn't been able to. They just have excuse after excuse.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
What a shame I have to add yet another troll to the ignore list.
Another good thread trashed by trash.

Reactions: RTminer
It's only been 5 though. He just finished his 5th season, but you're about everything else. Most on here don't want to see that though. Most on here have zero expectations and that's why we're in CUSA. Because Floyd has Haskins ties, the old guard will defend him no matter what.

They refuse to answer the question of how Barbee was able to get it done in 4 years in a much tougher CUSA and Floyd hasn't really come close in 5. They will say it's because he got Derrick Caracter. Like its Barbees fault he was able to get a talented player and Floyd hasn't been able to. They just have excuse after excuse.

Yep these homers are funny. Their perception is way off from reality. Barbee's teams improved every year and they played in better competition. And I have heard that funny Caracter excuse before and I just throw my hands up in the air and tell myself I can't believe people are that stupid. Character was a very good player but it just wasn't him. He only played half the season. That was just a very good team that year. We had a true PG in Stone. Floyd is yet to find one in 5 years. All of Barbee's signed recruiting class players made it to campus every year. Floyd's tenure here has been a mess. It is sad that the bar has been lowered for UTEP basketball when it was once set high. Now as long as Floyd beats a team like Auburn in the non-conference schedule and wins 20 plus games in a weak ass CUSA the season was a huge success. And not making the NCAA Tourney is perfectly ok with Floyd because he doesn't have a Caracter type player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT