ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP fan council

Honestly guys, wasn't this a Senter idea? I doubt he weighed in favor of the typical powers. My guess is they went young and tried to involve more students. I didn't apply because from the get-go, I assumed they were trying to rebuild the maniacs.
How many were selected anyway?

We dont need anymore old guys with million excuses why Utep can and cant do this.

You gotta have at least 1 old guy on there talking about the “glory days”. He would be valuable is asking about scheduling games with Sul Ross and why the Sun Bowl doesn’t have a CUSA tie-in.

Reactions: El Paso 1
You gotta have at least 1 old guy on there talking about the “glory days”. He would be valuable is asking about scheduling games with Sul Ross and why the Sun Bowl doesn’t have a CUSA tie-in.
You've been very vocal about things you don't like about UTEP athletics, and I do think you make some good points, but I genuinely wonder what are the things you do like about UTEP athletics. If the only things UTEP athletics brings you are anger and despair, it can't be good for your blood pressure/health. But I think there must be something positive you get out of it to stick with it.

You've been very vocal about things you don't like about UTEP athletics, and I do think you make some good points, but I genuinely wonder what are the things you do like about UTEP athletics. If the only things UTEP athletics brings you are anger and despair, it can't be good for your blood pressure/health. But I think there must be something positive you get out of it to stick with it.

Right now, the only things I like about UTEP are Senter, Dimel, and Terry, but they haven’t won or lost any games yet. Why would I “like” watching truly awful football teams and very mediocre basketball teams over the last 8 years. I don’t give two craps about women’s hoops or track.

UTEP sports does not bring me anger and despair. Nothing UTEP related does. I like seeing the opinions on here, many of them are fvcking stupid. It’s down right hilarious at some of the crap people post on here. People who have no clue how college athletics works.

Did you go to/watch/see any of the UTEP town halls? Most of the questions and thoughts were embarrassing for “real” fans. On the KFOX one, there was an old man there asking coach Dimel about why we hadn’t been recruiting good cornerbacks? Baseball was brought up at every damn one. Getting out of conference USA too. Tailgating was of course. At the first one, it was brought up 3 times!!!

It is my opinion that 75% of UTEP fans are old, dumb, or blatant homers and the worst, a combo of all 3. Meaning, 25% of UTEP fans are able to think freely and know why we’re not in the MWC or why baseball will never happen here.

Until UTEP actually accomplishes something, I will continue to be critical, because it’s well deserved. Doesn’t mean I want them to lose and since those losers are gone, I will attend some games.

Right now, the only things I like about UTEP are Senter, Dimel, and Terry, but they haven’t won or lost any games yet. Why would I “like” watching truly awful football teams and very mediocre basketball teams over the last 8 years. I don’t give two craps about women’s hoops or track.

UTEP sports does not bring me anger and despair. Nothing UTEP related does. I like seeing the opinions on here, many of them are fvcking stupid. It’s down right hilarious at some of the crap people post on here. People who have no clue how college athletics works.

Did you go to/watch/see any of the UTEP town halls? Most of the questions and thoughts were embarrassing for “real” fans. On the KFOX one, there was an old man there asking coach Dimel about why we hadn’t been recruiting good cornerbacks? Baseball was brought up at every damn one. Getting out of conference USA too. Tailgating was of course. At the first one, it was brought up 3 times!!!

It is my opinion that 75% of UTEP fans are old, dumb, or blatant homers and the worst, a combo of all 3. Meaning, 25% of UTEP fans are able to think freely and know why we’re not in the MWC or why baseball will never happen here.

Until UTEP actually accomplishes something, I will continue to be critical, because it’s well deserved. Doesn’t mean I want them to lose and since those losers are gone, I will attend some games.

Baseball will happen. It has to. Its stupid that a school with a record enrollment of 23k cant afford a baseball team. How hard is it really to put a baseball team? Utep doesnt need the stadium anymore. There is one downtown im sure they can use. So that should cut costs. Spend that money to start more womens sports so we can have baseball.

Baseball will happen. It has to. Its stupid that a school with a record enrollment of 23k cant afford a baseball team. How hard is it really to put a baseball team? Utep doesnt need the stadium anymore. There is one downtown im sure they can use. So that should cut costs. Spend that money to start more womens sports so we can have baseball.

It’s stupid for a school that is not making money left and right to add a sport that at best, will make a little bit, then have to add at least 1 women sport.

There is a baseball stadium downtown that they can use, but it won’t likely be free. They will have to pay to rent it out. The USL team and EPC would get first dibs of dates. Who is going to attend these games?

The EPCC baseball program sucks, what makes you think UTEP would be any better? It would be a total failure, nobody cares, and baseball (as a whole) is losing popularity.

Reactions: Dmanminer

The more logical thing is men’s soccer than baseball....meanwhile back to the topic of this thread...

Where is the list of those chosen for the fan council? I haven’t been able to find anything

Reactions: axingfools1
Ed Davis' input to the fan council:

"One way can raise alot of money in the short term is to add Baseball. We sell out the inaugural game, sell season tickets, get sponsors, set a date for the first game, then on opening night there is no game. No team, nothing. Best of all its all profit and we paid no one."

I received a phone call today from the Associate AD and he described the process to select the individuals for the Fan Council. He assured me that a good mixture was selected from different age groups, donors and non-donors, and other factors. I appreciated the call and I assured him I will continue to support UTEP athletics.

I received a phone call today from the Associate AD and he described the process to select the individuals for the Fan Council. He assured me that a good mixture was selected from different age groups, donors and non-donors, and other factors. I appreciated the call and I assured him I will continue to support UTEP athletics.

Above and beyond imo. They didn’t have to call or explain themselves but they did, a small yet significant sign of positive change in the dept.

I did not get selected either. I did get Senter's email explaining the process then a phone call from Jeff Darby explaining how difficult it was to selected the members. I was told that 148 people applied and they selected 30 from a variety of people. And for those of you thinking the "old guys" are satisfied then you are making a giant generalization. I was actually on this board 8 years ago saying UTEP should hire Rodney Terry. I personally don't care much about the "game day experience" because I just want UTEP to win, but I do understand that in this day and age there are more things then ever vying for peoples attention and dollars, so UTEP must address those fans too.

Isn’t anyone concerned that only 148 people out of 700,000 + even wanted to be on it? The Chihuahuas and the soccer team would have probably got that, if not more.

Isn’t anyone concerned that only 148 people out of 700,000 + even wanted to be on it? The Chihuahuas and the soccer team would have probably got that, if not more.

Not at all. Nor is it surprising. There is a degree of apathy that has set in, even with new staff in place, that only winning will cure.

What was “concerning”, at least in my opinion, has already been addressed and hopefully therefore rectified. The fan council experience isn’t for everyone...but that’s not a bad thing. Personally, I’m in “curious” mode to see what effect the fan council will have.

Of that 700,000 people probably only a fourth are old enough or young enough to be on that council. Out of that, only 25 or 30 percent are sports fans. Maybe 50 percent of those are miner fans. Then Shovel and El Paso1 many don’t have jobs that allow them to be available for meetings. Then there are those who have family matters or health concerns that prevent their availability.
So instead of making disparaging comments get a f—n life and get off this board.

Of that 700,000 people probably only a fourth are old enough or young enough to be on that council. Out of that, only 25 or 30 percent are sports fans. Maybe 50 percent of those are miner fans. Then Shovel and El Paso1 many don’t have jobs that allow them to be available for meetings. Then there are those who have family matters or health concerns that prevent their availability.
So instead of making disparaging comments get a f—n life and get off this board.
We had a football coach who wanted to make UTEP the Rice of west Texas in CUSA football (man, that drove me insane) and a basketball coach who set up a local sports media personality because he didn't like his reporting and who dabbled in revisionist history prior to his arrival at UTEP. UTEP was kind of the laughing stock and attracts people like them. Winning and a positive program will do wonders.

Reactions: FarWestTexas

So only 25% of El Paso is between the ages of 18-75? Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

How many of those 700,000 are big enough Miner fans to want to be or can be on the advisory board.
We all know you want exact numbers. I was just making a comment on your .0002% comment. If you would read my post on stated probably a fourth. Did not do any research on the number of adults in El Paso. Nor do I intend to.
So Shovel give me the exact number.

Yeah, you’re right. If 0.0002% of your “fan base” responds that’s a good number. I bet you’re wishing that 0.0002% of the people that went to the bar last year come back this year. You’ll have a great year!!!
Well, 700,000 is not our fan base just because that's how many people live in El Paso. A fan base is how many people actually care about UTEP sports. This would actually include folks living outside of El Paso. There is no way of knowing that number or how many live in this area able to attend meetings. (If that's an actual requirement. There are video conferences these days) I'm a huge fan, but I just don't have the time or energy to devote to that anyway. Some youngin can take care of it.

In my business, I want as many return customers as possible. I would love to have every single customer come back at some point because they like what we do and how we do it. On top of that, we strive to bring in new customers daily. My customer base is NOT 700,00 people just because they live here. It's probably closer to 200,00 realistically because of location and the type of business I have. We advertise focusing on our niche, understanding there are certain groups we just won't ever get. You can't put a number on repeat customers as I have many people that visit damn near daily. If every customer comes only one time, my doors will close. Same with UTEP. They need repeat customers (season ticket holders) and new customers in order to pay the bills. If only 148 people applied, I would assume most fans didn't hear about it, didn't have time to participate, or didn't know how to apply. I'm sure next season will get a better response.
Stop trying to trash everything, bro...

Reactions: MineroFanatico
The way I look at it is that I cared enough to apply for the position even though I do have a job and a family because this transition in UTEP athletics is very important to me. Any impact I can make, any opinion I can provide, any additional information I can have to pass along to everyone else and educate myself as well, that's what being a part of this council means to me. I took the time to put together a meaningful application that really showed that I wanted to make a difference (regardless of how small that difference is). I'm a part of the inaugural fan council and look forward to contributing to our future, no matter how many people applied.

NewGen,
I applaud your attitude. I also applied, but was not selected. I did It because I want to contribute and walk the talk. I wish you and the Fan Council a lot of success. Don’t get discouraged by nay sayers and negative people. As our fb coach said “Don’t only wish us to succeed, come and help us win”

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way. LI

I also was one of those who applied but didn't make the cut. If memory serves me right, I was told they are planning on expanding the fan council each year or some other timeframe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT