ADVERTISEMENT

Utep favored on the road against Lobos

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Well I guess Vegas has more faith in the Miners than UTEP Fans as we're favored by 3 on the road. Utep is 0-3 against the spread this year, but they're still rolling the dice 🎲 on us. I wish I had the same faith. It'd be nice to prove Vegas right in this instance at least.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Over the last 6-8 years, some of the worst FBS football has been played within a four and a half hour driving distance between NMSU, UNM and us. #TheSouthwestSuckAlliance
Hey, Captain Obvious, give it a rest. Are you a UTEP Sports fan or simply a troll with a hidden agenda? Why don't you guys follow Brady, Alabama football or Kentucky basketball, if all you want is guaranteed victories. Yeah, we are a bit down but right down, but a true fan looks toward the future with some semblance of support and loyalty. The team is at a certain frustrating point in the season, true, but piling on and spitting down at the players (and coaches) before the season is just starting isn't helpful.

Hey, Captain Obvious, give it a rest. Are you a UTEP Sports fan or simply a troll with a hidden agenda? Why don't you guys follow Brady, Alabama football or Kentucky basketball, if all you want is guaranteed victories. Yeah, we are a bit down but right down, but a true fan looks toward the future with some semblance of support and loyalty. The team is at a certain frustrating point in the season, true, but piling on and spitting down at the players (and coaches) before the season is just starting isn't helpful.
I'm a UTEP sports fan for 34-years and a resident troll on this board for six years, and for the record: I've never "spit down" on a player, coaches deserve it, players don't that is the Bigwood brand golden-rule.

I love me some UTEP and give credit when its due although I wanna see UTEP succeed at a high level I dont agree with being average in ANYTHING in life, and see the way others are doing in our own conference and UTEP is far behind, but you won't hear me call a big fat steamy turd laying on the 50-yard line a Reece's Pieces, call it like I see it bud...also was "spitting down" on our two biggest rivals that UTEP is about to beat in consecutive weeks but if you wanna come at me and derail a thread, vamanos pues cabron I can do this all day until my next work meeting starts.....

I'm a UTEP sports fan for 34-years and a resident troll on this board for six years, and for the record: I've never "spit down" on a player, coaches deserve it, players don't that is the Bigwood brand golden-rule.

I love me some UTEP and give credit when its due although I wanna see UTEP succeed at a high level I dont agree with being average in ANYTHING in life, and see the way others are doing in our own conference and UTEP is far behind, but you won't hear me call a big fat steamy turd laying on the 50-yard line a Reece's Pieces, call it like I see it bud...also was "spitting down" on our two biggest rivals that UTEP is about to beat in consecutive weeks but if you wanna come at me and derail a thread, vamanos pues cabron I can do this all day until my next work meeting starts.....
It is the Rah-Rah attitude that has cost us big here. Some on here don't ever want to criticize UTEP, they would still be happy if Price and Floyd were our coaches. There is nothing wrong with your statement of fact, its just that some are happy with being lousy and think that you should too. Your loyalty is questioned because you factually tell how it is, and have the audacity to criticize UTEP.

Bigwood, you have always been loyal, and rarely complain, so if you are doing it now, it has reached a point where you can't take it anymore. To me, that is the concern and really shows how bad things are.

There were so many that were so happy with Dismal last year, and hence a contract extension before he proved himself. Now we are going to be run into the ground just like when Price was here. So, I understand your frustration, I am with you, and if you do not speak up, we just keep getting what we are getting.

It is the Rah-Rah attitude that has cost us big here. Some on here don't ever want to criticize UTEP, they would still be happy if Price and Floyd were our coaches. There is nothing wrong with your statement of fact, its just that some are happy with being lousy and think that you should too. Your loyalty is questioned because you factually tell how it is, and have the audacity to criticize UTEP.

Bigwood, you have always been loyal, and rarely complain, so if you are doing it now, it has reached a point where you can't take it anymore. To me, that is the concern and really shows how bad things are.

There were so many that were so happy with Dismal last year, and hence a contract extension before he proved himself. Now we are going to be run into the ground just like when Price was here. So, I understand your frustration, I am with you, and if you do not speak up, we just keep getting what we are getting.
Amen.......aaaammmmeennnnn....🎵🎵🎵🎵

There are positives about the team. A little balance would be nice from everyone. There are players that read this board and they're a little discouraged by it.

I try to be as reasonable as possible, but also like most fans have way too much hope! It's tough being a Miner Fan, when all we want is a consistent winner and none of us have gotten that in our life time. I was still of the idea that we're alright and 6-8 wins was still a good possibility. That is until I saw the crap second half of the NMSU game and Hardison under and overthrow open receivers all night. I still will hold out hope it gets fixed and they go bowling, but alot of my confidence was brought down after Saturday.

Great post! Agreed

not favored according to ESPN

Predictor​

UNM71.6%. UTEP 28.4%
According to ESPN's Football Power Index

miners 13
unm 24
Yeah I saw that, it changed from the beginning of the season when they had us as favorites. I'm not sure what Vegas is seeing to make us favored, but my guess is there will be a lot of action taking UNM.

I’m 41 years old, UTEP football was beautiful in 1988, 2000, 2004 and 2005, ok in 2010, 2014 and 2021 and absolute dog shit in the other 34. So if you can please explain to me how 34/41 trash seasons constitutes “right now”. This isn’t a slump, it’s the norm and you’re out of your mind if you think otherwise.

Not trying to start a flame war or disparage anyone here, but I stand by what I stated (except for the spitting part, I kind of got carried away with that due to my frustration.) Did the Team lay an egg in the second half of the NMSU game; hell yes. And also the second half of the North Texas game and the first 5 minutes of the Oklahoma game. I bitch and moan about that as much as anyone but at the end of the day I see whatever progress and good play the team leaves on the field as well. So far the bad dominates the good (except for that last minute fumble recovery) and going forth, nothing has yet to happen. Will we get our shit together and have a decent season? Who knows. Will the coaching staff continue the progress from last season? Who knows. The 6 or 8 trolls on this forum are absolutely sure that the season is over, wasted, done. Well ok, then STFU and go support UTSA. And the phonies that claim that pointing them out is simply "Rah Rah-ing", well, that's a "strawman" argument.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Talking crap about sports teams, makes them play bad? Dimel reads the board and just thinks, “they think we suck anyway, I am going to run the same dumb plays over and over. I am also not going to make any adjustments”?

The Miners BARELY escaped the only FBS program that is worse than UTEPs, with a first year head coach and playing in El Paso. We’re supposed to be happy with that? Appalachian St beat Texas A&M, Marshall beat Notre Dame, and Georgia Southern beat Nebraska, and we’re supposed to be happy about losing to UNT, getting blow out by OU, and barely beating NMSU?

That is why UTEP hires coaches like Dimel, because they know fans like you will still support them.

Talking crap about sports teams, makes them play bad? Dimel reads the board and just thinks, “they think we suck anyway, I am going to run the same dumb plays over and over. I am also not going to make any adjustments”?

The Miners BARELY escaped the only FBS program that is worse than UTEPs, with a first year head coach and playing in El Paso. We’re supposed to be happy with that? Appalachian St beat Texas A&M, Marshall beat Notre Dame, and Georgia Southern beat Nebraska, and we’re supposed to be happy about losing to UNT, getting blow out by OU, and barely beating NMSU?

That is why UTEP hires coaches like Dimel, because they know fans like you will still support them.
Preach! These guys show up year in and year out and they lap this crap up like it’s Caviar. The reason these bum ass coaches stay around forever is because no one holds them accountable. I’m all for seeing the year out with Dimmel. He’s got some leeway with me since he made the bowl game last year, but this team caved against UNT, got fisted up against Oklahoma, and they just went life and death vs a trash NMSU program like it was Undertaker and Mankind at Survivor Series

Last edited:
Preach! These guys show up year in and year out and they lap this crap up like it’s Caviar. The reason these bum ass coaches stay around forever is because no one holds them accountable. I’m all for seeing the year out with Dimmel. He’s got some leeway with me for this season since he made the bowl game last year, but this team caved against UNT, got fisted up against Oklahoma, and they just went life and death vs a trash NMSU program like it was Undertaker and Mankind at Survivor Series

I’m surprised he didn’t use the “these kids are working hard” line. Like all the other 130 FBS schools have kids that aren’t working hard.

I’m surprised he didn’t use the “these kids are working hard” line. Like all the other 130 FBS schools have kids that aren’t working hard.
And you know what? I sure they are and good for them. But…. these are 0, 1 and 2 star recruits and they’re playing like 0, 1 and 2 star recruits. I would be absolutely livid if UTEP recruited Alabama level talent and they lost to UNT but these kids are probably maximizing their talent and this is their collective ceiling. There is no coach that can take these kids from loveable losers and turn them into champions. That only happens on the movies.

Reactions: MinerFan79
I just refuse to settle for crappy football. I am a fan of the Miners, but I demand change. Giving Dismal a 3 year contract extension was a bad move, but it was done. Now he has to be held accountable if he does not produce a year at least as good or better than last year, especially with the dregs on our schedule. Anything less is not acceptable.

Comparing the team's production from last year and this year is the reason most on this board are frustrated and can see what kind of season is going to pan out. Dismal has a new 3 year contract, so he is supposed to produce. Giving him a pass and laying out excuses for him is exactly what keeps the Miners from ever producing a decent team and improving. If he is not held to the fire, what is his or the team's motivation?

This is exactly why the Marshall's, ODU's, Appalachian State's etc keep improving, and why we do not. There has to be accountability, and many on this board are just trying to do that.

People tell me to just be a fan, well I can be one and at the same time demand change. I mean, really, is it fun watching Miner games? Is it fun, going through the same crap every year, just like the Dallas Cowboys? At least show me that you are trying to make changes. It just seems to me, that the Miners look like they are ok with this production, and as a fan, I am not going to give them a free pass just because I am a fan.

Not trying to start a flame war or disparage anyone here, but I stand by what I stated (except for the spitting part, I kind of got carried away with that due to my frustration.) Did the Team lay an egg in the second half of the NMSU game; hell yes. And also the second half of the North Texas game and the first 5 minutes of the Oklahoma game. I bitch and moan about that as much as anyone but at the end of the day I see whatever progress and good play the team leaves on the field as well. So far the bad dominates the good (except for that last minute fumble recovery) and going forth, nothing has yet to happen. Will we get our shit together and have a decent season? Who knows. Will the coaching staff continue the progress from last season? Who knows. The 6 or 8 trolls on this forum are absolutely sure that the season is over, wasted, done. Well ok, then STFU and go support UTSA. And the phonies that claim that pointing them out is simply "Rah Rah-ing", well, that's a "strawman" argument.
I respect this comment! +1 ✊

And you know what? I sure they are and good for them. But…. these are 0, 1 and 2 star recruits and they’re playing like 0, 1 and 2 star recruits. I would be absolutely livid if UTEP recruited Alabama level talent and they lost to UNT but these kids are probably maximizing their talent and this is their collective ceiling. There is no coach that can take these kids from loveable losers and turn them into champions. That only happens on the movies.
I disagree with this based on the fact that essentially this is the same team minus their top to receivers that won 7 games and gave Fresno all they could handle. This year they're playing so poorly its either coaching not developing them or this kids just lost confidence all of the sudden. Seasons not over, but damn this doesn't look like the same team from last year.

I disagree with this based on the fact that essentially this is the same team minus their top to receivers that won 7 games and gave Fresno all they could handle. This year they're playing so poorly its either coaching not developing them or this kids just lost confidence all of the sudden. Seasons not over, but damn this doesn't look like the same team from last year.
The Fresno game is the best this team played all season last season, and they still lost. It's the same team as last year minus some WRs (I like our WRs, I think Hardison is the problem) and some DBs (DBs have okay so far, the DL is what has disappointed me), but a tougher schedule. And that is what I think the difference is. Tougher schedule. Dimel is getting exposed further as he has gone against teams with better coaching staffs (Coach Kill outcoached him).

Reactions: denverutep
I don’t get the love affair with Kill? Dimel gave him chance after chance and he too stumbled and fumbled. That was two not very good teams and a rivalry game that needs put in the trash heap.

We should not make excuses for Coach Dimel. Part of his job is to recruit the kind of players he wants. Even if it is difficult to do out in the west Texas town of El Paso. A good coach will attract a better quality athlete. A mediocre coach will attract a mediocre athlete. Dimel has had a couple of years now to recruit. And this is still the kind of game we see out of the Miners. That's all on the coaches. Maybe a better coach will improve that.

I don’t get the love affair with Kill? Dimel gave him chance after chance and he too stumbled and fumbled. That was two not very good teams and a rivalry game that needs put in the trash heap.
Utep has a significant talent advantage over NMSU and it was very apparent in the first half. The second half, that went away because Coach Kill adjusted to what UTEP was doing.

Is Kill Saban? No, but he's better than Dimel.

Coach Kill is in his first year at NMSU. Dimel is in his fifth. Yet both teams are playing at virtually the same level. Which coach would you bust on the most? If the Miners beat the Lobos, will that mean we're the Kings of the trash heap in this corner of the world?

We should not make excuses for Coach Dimel. Part of his job is to recruit the kind of players he wants. Even if it is difficult to do out in the west Texas town of El Paso. A good coach will attract a better quality athlete. A mediocre coach will attract a mediocre athlete. Dimel has had a couple of years now to recruit. And this is still the kind of game we see out of the Miners. That's all on the coaches. Maybe a better coach will improve that.
I'd say that has been Dimels biggest positive. He has recruited pretty decent to UTEP. Other than maybe Gary Nord, I can't think of anyone else that has atleast recruited decent to el paso.

Coach Kill is in his first year at NMSU. Dimel is in his fifth. Yet both teams are playing at virtually the same level. Which coach would you bust on the most? If the Miners beat the Lobos, will that mean we're the Kings of the trash heap in this corner of the world?
Exactly. I was pretty impressed with how NMSU improved throughout the game. A sign of atleast decent coaching. If Kill can recruit to Las Cruces, they will start beating our butts in football.

Reactions: denverutep
Dimel took UTEP to a bowl game so you had to give him an extension.

What kind of candidate are you trying to attract in the future when you show that you will fire a coach after their best year?

Every Coach is bought when they are fired. That's the business. An extension is not binding.

Reactions: FedupMiner
Dimel took UTEP to a bowl game so you had to give him an extension.

What kind of candidate are you trying to attract in the future when you show that you will fire a coach after their best year?
UTEP was overly patient with Kugler and it didn't help in 2016-17 during that coaching search.

When you make a bowl game nowadays, that basically means that you were (maybe) a top 84 team. I'd argue UTEP wasn't even a top 100 team last year based on where the seven wins came from, but regardless, I think the extension should have waited (unless he won the bowl game of course). Too late now, but if Dimel bombs, UTEP better pull the trigger and fire.

The Fresno game is the best this team played all season last season

I agree that the Fresno game was the team's best performance last year. But even then we were the "Kings of the Trash Heap" having beaten only teams that were crappier than we were.

IF we play well and beat the Lobos this Saturday I might suggest we move all of our games to Albuquerque. Make them "home" games if we can. But ONLY if our team's performance looks good; not if it's an ugly win -- or ::gasp:: -- a loss.

UTEP was overly patient with Kugler and it didn't help in 2016-17 during that coaching search.

When you make a bowl game nowadays, that basically means that you were (maybe) a top 84 team. I'd argue UTEP wasn't even a top 100 team last year based on where the seven wins came from, but regardless, I think the extension should have waited (unless he won the bowl game of course). Too late now, but if Dimel bombs, UTEP better pull the trigger and fire.

I’m all for patience, but patience is the reason we keep falling further and further behind as the years go by. This UTEP team, coming off of a bowl should have absolutely throttled NMSU but for whatever reason the Miners kept giving them chance after chance to stay in the game. Their saving grace was the fact that the NMSU QBs were a horror show. Now there are two ways to look at this: Either their coach is turning things around and turning them into a competitive team or UTEP is dreadful. Either way it reflects poorly on the Miners.
I’ve said it before but UTEP misses Cowing. That guy has shown he can play in any league vs anyone and he carried that offense last year. Now the Miners don’t have a WR who can consistently bail out the offense and they’re stuck in neutral.

I'd say that has been Dimels biggest positive. He has recruited pretty decent to UTEP. Other than maybe Gary Nord, I can't think of anyone else that has atleast recruited decent to el paso.
Price recruited "decent" and his teams were generally competitive. Vittatoe still ranks 30th all-time in NCAA passing yards. He put up some numbers. It's too bad the defense was so rotten those years.

Price recruited "decent" and his teams were generally competitive. Vittatoe still ranks 30th all-time in NCAA passing yards. He put up some numbers. It's too bad the defense was so rotten those years.
Price brought in highly touted recruits that were extremely disappointing... typically being on the defensive side of the ball.

You are right that he was decent... I would just say he was disappointing as a recruiter.

Reactions: Rocketsr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT