ADVERTISEMENT

Utep favored on the road against Lobos

USM has done it.
They fired their HC after 3 games with a 1-2 record after giving him an extension before or anything close to that??? Please indulge, I don't recall anything like that. I know they had an interim head coach and changed to another one mid season. I think you're mistaken, but I don't have time to dig, so if you could explain when that happened that'd be cool.

Everyone saying fire Dimel right now 3 games in is just ridiculous if I'm being honest.

1. Hey got an extension just last year
2. It's only 3 games in and he's 1-2 ( Despite how we think the teams playing at the moment they didn't lose to NMSU.
3. It's early and this team can either get better or stay the same, that's yet to be seen.
4. No school at Utep's level fires a coach this early in the season unless they loss to a FBS school or something.
5. Utep doesn't have the extra money to pay him to go
6. That's obviously not how Senter rolls.
7. That wouldn't be good for the kids this early in the season
8. YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY DREAMING IF YOU THINK THERE'S A CHANCE IN HELL HE DOESN'T FINISH THE SEASON, SO GIVE IT A REST UNTIL WE SEE HOW THE SEASON ENDS!!!

I don’t think everyone is saying that. Almost everyone is extremely disappointed with the UNT game and the way they played against NMSU. That leads people to believe this year isn’t going to be very promising. Best case is the Miners are 3-3 after the Charlotte game. If the Miners are going to be good, they should be able to beat UNM and Charlotte. Losing to them, means we probably won’t be very good. Which is unacceptable during a coach’s 5th year, when the other 4 were far from great as well.
I don't think that even most of those saying "FIRE DIMEL NOW!" believe that he will be fired mid season, as NoWins alluded to. A lot of us are extremely upset, however, at the way this season has started. I was actually starting to believe that Dimel might be the right man for the job after the improvement shown last season, providing he correct some of the deficiencies he's shown since he arrived. That's gone out the window after these first three games. Unless I see significant in season improvement, which hasn't been a hallmark of any Dimel team, I will be calling for his head at season's end. Until then I reserve the right to bitch and moan as much as I please! 😉

I don't think that even most of those saying "FIRE DIMEL NOW!" believe that he will be fired mid season, as NoWins alluded to. A lot of us are extremely upset, however, at the way this season has started. I was actually starting to believe that Dimel might be the right man for the job after the improvement shown last season, providing he correct some of the deficiencies he's shown since he arrived. That's gone out the window after these first three games. Unless I see significant in season improvement, which hasn't been a hallmark of any Dimel team, I will be calling for his head at season's end. Until then I reserve the right to bitch and moan as much as I please! 😉
Exactly. I will personally stop complaining if/when they outscore an opponent in the third quarter. Big opportunity coming up this weekend. 😉

I didn't say don't bitch and moan about the team or even Dimel for that matter. I do that as well. Not sure why you got that out of what I clearly said!?🤔 I said, "The people saying he should step down right this second or he should get fired right now" should simmer down, cause it ain't happening!

I didn't say don't bitch and moan about the team or even Dimel for that matter. I do that as well. Not sure why you got that out of what I clearly said!?🤔 I said, "The people saying he should step down right this second or he should get fired right now" should simmer down, cause it ain't happening!
I am saying he should. I will admit it. We accused Price of selling snake oil, Dimel should be as well. He is not a young coach with three kids in elementary and/or high school. He is an empty nester. His retirement is swell. He can easily....easily... negotiate a buy out.

And let me make it official. I am on the get rid of Senter too. While I applaud his department aggressive marketing efforts, it really was effective, he should've been telling Dimel, "You can't blow the UNT (and NMSU) game". Not only did he blow it, it was embarrassing. SMU had to have a hold my beer moment, "Hey UTEP, let me show you how bad these Dented Puke Green f'ers suck. You should be embarrassed!". Thank you. Message received.

Hardison shows off his arm for OU. Good. Saw it myself. I personally counted ten easy manageable (at his professional coaching level) points Dimel left off the board. Wouldn't have helped but we're building confidence against the country's best. But, after that loss, the next Monday we're supposed to be happy about his passing.

I am not kidding nor do I think this is funny.

Dropped passes. Strong but off the mark passes. Fumble. Numerous incomplete passes. No run game. Several missed tackles to force three n out. Horrid run blocking. No, this was not the UNT game. This was last weekend against a bad division 1 team.

It's year 5.

But, I know he will not. It's not his character. He dug himself a whole and hoping for Hail Mary.

I don’t think everyone is saying that. Almost everyone is extremely disappointed with the UNT game and the way they played against NMSU. That leads people to believe this year isn’t going to be very promising. Best case is the Miners are 3-3 after the Charlotte game. If the Miners are going to be good, they should be able to beat UNM and Charlotte. Losing to them, means we probably won’t be very good. Which is unacceptable during a coach’s 5th year, when the other 4 were far from great as well.
And if we do win those two, will everyone ease up or will these endless fire Dimel now posts continue ?

As for me I will continue with calling for his dismissal. I believe UTEP deserves better. Are really satisfied with what we’ve seen in the 5th year of his realm.
Please don’t bring up we went to a bowl last year. Hell there weren’t even enough teams to fill all the bowl games .

And if we do win those two, will everyone ease up or will these endless fire Dimel now posts continue ?
The seat should AT LEAST be getting a little warm given the performance in the opening week and the death match that was NMSU. There is a concerning trend this opening to the season and a win against UNM even if it’s a stylish win, shouldn’t make up for everything but it’s a step in the right direction.

Now with that being said Saturday will probably be a dog fight and it will go down to the wire again. Plus, let’s be real, a UTEP loss is a possibility.

The reality is that Dimel is not going to quit in the midst of a season like his predecessor. He won't get fired either. We're stuck with him till the end of the season. The reality is also that more than three wins this season is going to be a miracle. I hope Dimel, his staff and the administration all realize this. I hope also that the Athletic Department is getting ready for a new coaching staff. I mean right this minute looking for a new coach. It's the only way out of the hole we are in. Oh well.

Reactions: Rocketsr
The reality is that Dimel is not going to quit in the midst of a season like his predecessor. He won't get fired either. We're stuck with him till the end of the season. The reality is also that more than three wins this season is going to be a miracle. I hope Dimel, his staff and the administration all realize this. I hope also that the Athletic Department is getting ready for a new coaching staff. I mean right this minute looking for a new coach. It's the only way out of the hole we are in. Oh well.
You live in fantasy land. Athletic dept getting ready for a new coach? They just extended the one we’ve got. He just got a win over our top rival. Please come back to reality

Dimel was given a 2 year extension in case this season flopped they could buy out his contract. 2 years of his contract is the equivalent of one money game.

He will be bought out if we finish with 3 or less wins. 6 wins or more and obviously he'll get to finish the two years in his contract.

Four - five wins is where it gets interesting. Senter will have a big call to make but I think we all know which way he would lean.

You really believe Kugler "quit" on his own terms?

No, the athletic department is NOT actively looking for a new coach so you can put that pipedream away

...and it looks like there's another EP player heading north to play at UNM....maybe more down the road.
Who cares? Kugler wanted a UTEP program with 1 kid from each high school. People still didn’t go to the games with his high amount of EP kids. Kids in El Paso don’t grow up wanting to be Miners. They have the right to leave town. Just like all the non-EP kids UTEP gives scholarships to every year.

Let's see how this plays out. Only three wins, Dimel gets shown the door. Four to six wins, he gets to stay to the end of his extension. A winning season and he gets hailed as a miracle worker.

The first focus has to be firing Senter. There is nothing to justify his continued employment. He's brought absolutely nothing to the table in his five years as AD. He can't raise money. He's an abject failure. The worst AD in FBS. We can't fix anything until we get competent leadership at the top.

I'm not up to date on what Senter has or has not brought to the table. I won't hold Dimel against him too much. It was his first hire and it seems the search process had already started when he arrived. What he does now about Dimel is more important. Refresh my memory, did he hire Terry? That was a wash as a hire. I think Terry was using UTEP to get closer to home. He had done well at Fresno State, but couldn't maintain that level at UTEP. Senter did hire Golding. I'm willing to see if Golding can still build up the Miners into a better team. If he can still reach 20 wins with an almost new team, I'll say keep him awhile. But if Senter can't successfully hit up donors for some money to upgrade our coaching staffs, then that's definitely a major point against him.

I'm not up to date on what Senter has or has not brought to the table. I won't hold Dimel against him too much. It was his first hire and it seems the search process had already started when he arrived. What he does now about Dimel is more important. Refresh my memory, did he hire Terry? That was a wash as a hire. I think Terry was using UTEP to get closer to home. He had done well at Fresno State, but couldn't maintain that level at UTEP. Senter did hire Golding. I'm willing to see if Golding can still build up the Miners into a better team. If he can still reach 20 wins with an almost new team, I'll say keep him awhile. But if Senter can't successfully hit up donors for some money to upgrade our coaching staffs, then that's definitely a major point against him.
He is 100% responsible for Dimel. He also hired Terry.

Reactions: utep2step
Going waaaaaaaay back, Mike Williams (parkland) played at UNM in the mid 70's...second leading rusher all time...played in the NFL for a few years.

Reactions: Cube Jack
I was a classmate of Mike Williams at Parkland. We graduated in 1975. He had a knee injury his senior year. Only played three games. He healed up enough to run track. Was one of the two best hurdlers in the city that year. The other one was from Coronado High. Mike had a very good career at UNM. Went on to play for the Kansas City Chiefs for about three seasons. His knee troubles returned, and he never did as much for the Chiefs as he might have. Was sad to hear he passed from a heart attack a few years ago.

USM has done it.
I thought Ellis Johnson was fired early but he was not. After a winless season he stepped down.

Jay Hopson "stepped down" after game one. (After taking them to the Armed Forces Bowl).

Their best coach in twenty years (Coach of the Decade, 2004) Jeff Bowers suddenly resigned in '07.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT