ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Football Assistant Coaches Mike Canales, Mike Cox Relieved of Duties

MistaBinks

MI VIP
Jan 13, 2008
El Paso, Texas
UTEP Football Head Coach Dana Dimel announced on Friday that offensive coordinator Mike Canales and defensive coordinator Mike Cox have been relieved of their duties.

"While this was a difficult decision to make, I feel it is in the best interest of our football program moving forward," Dimel said. "These are good men and I would like to thank them for their service, and wish them well in the future."

A national search will begin immediately to appoint their successors.

The shakeup has begun! I thought this should have happened last year, but with the pandemic this year I am really surprised they did it.

Reactions: Lil_Train
It sounds like Canales was a good dude, and he didn’t get a fair shake as OC but coaching is a cruel profession. Dimel should absolutely feel the heat this coming year, and if UTEP goes 1-3 out of conference I’d pull the plug right then and there if I were the athletic director.

I hope Dimel can let go of the ego and trust the guys he brings in because no one can run all of the show. Football is too big. AND is there an OC that will take this gig on the grounds that Dimel calls the plays. That has to be addressed during the interview process.

I can't speak in regards to any of the coaches capabilities, but I do remember a lot of UTEP fans being disappointed when we we hired Dimel (and especially when Canales was hired) because of their lack of success.

Canales got Kai here and that was a bust. If Canales doesn't even call plays then why did Dimel even keep him this season?

Also I wouldn't listen to a word that Kai has to say about the program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT