ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Football Ranking

The ranking is very fair. This team is very deep. We are much better at the skill posistions than most people believe. We will have improved qb play.

Texas wouldn't crush us they have no offense our defense is legit and would keep the whorns in check. The whorns may beat us but it wouldnt be a blowout. Next years game will be interesting.

We have a coach that is making waves nationally and it aint tim floyd. Kugler is on the national radar and will be a hot commodity, hopefully stull is being proactive and calling boosters so we can keep him. Its funny that everyone is worrying about basketball. Its a rebuilding year in a one bid league. You guys may want to pay attention to football, its going to be a fun year they wont disappoint.

After the Arkansas game there is not a game we shouldnt win. The schedule lays out beautifully the two toughest conference games, latech and rice, are at home. On the road we go to fiu, odu who loses their record setting qb, UNT which on thanksgiving weekend willl be a home game for the Miners. USM will be much improved and will be our toughest road test. I see us 9-3 but 10-2 is very realistic.

As far as the Arkansas game i dont think its going to be the blood bath people are predicting. For sure Arkansas is talented they are the best team we have faced in the Kugler era. They will come into the game ranked in the 12 to 15 range. They have the best backfield duo in the country.Their offensive line features three future nfl draft picks. Their defense is amazing. Saying all that i dont think they will be able to just line up and run it down our throats, brandon allen will have to prove he can beat us with his arm. On offense i expect us to utilize short slants and screens to open their defense up for the run. Hopefully we can get the running game going enough to hit some deep passes off playaction. Arkansas is a new position the hunted as opposed to the hunter. It will be hot in Fayetteville and their fans expect a blow out. If we can keep it close the natives will get restless and the presure will be ramped up on the hogs. It will be interesting to see how they deal with expectations. I think Arkansas wins 27-17.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Preseason rankings don't mean crap. Our 2 best victories last season were against CUSA teams with a .500 record. La Tech and Rice blew us out. We did nothing in our bowl game against UTAH State. This team has to beat a good teams before I am going to start saying UTEP is one of the top 50 teams in the country. Making a bowl game now days is very easy. Arkansas beats us by at least 28 points.

That's an interesting ranking. Although I agree, rankings don't mean much before the season starts, but who UTEP is ranked above is great conversation. In reality, I don't think Texas, at this stage of Strong's rebuild would smash UTEP. Most don't realize the cabinet Mack Brown left behind was pretty bare from the usual talent Texas hauls in. Their stranglehold on recruiting isn't what it once was as more exciting options exist for today's HS recruits (Baylor, TCU, TAMU, etc.). It would be a good game. Texas Tech, on the other hand is more intriguing. UTEP with an improved and very physical defense is garnering serious attention (as is the DC). The question is what is UTEPs offense going to look like? If they can keep their offense somewhere near the word, balanced, UTEP can be the party crasher for 2015. If they don't, then everyone needs to temper their expectations.

As for the Arkansas game, it's a great challenge for the team and its players as much as its a barometer on how physical of a football team UTEP has.

Last edited:
That's going to be a long wait! :D
If we haven't obliterated ourselves by then football will be like that old video game cyber ball .
football-robot.jpg

^^^^^^^That explains why UTEP is ranked above Rice and Utah State. Both teams had no problems beating UTEP last year.

Well let's hope that changes this year. UTEP's problem last season was the offense ran too much and couldn't throw which kept the defense on the field way too long. Lots of three and outs.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
^^^^^^^That explains why UTEP is ranked above Rice and Utah State. Both teams had no problems beating UTEP last year.

Not necessarily. Not everyone who leaves El Paso has fond memories of the Sun City. He could have left because he didn't like it here. It's a ranking going forward. Not a review of last season.

Reactions: allminer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT