ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Football Recruiting Awards

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
I decided to create some awards for our football recruiting class, based soley on their HUDL films. I decided to provide awards to only the high school recruits(thus eliminating the Junior College guys). Please feel free to disagree with anything that I have come up with:

- Most Violent HUDL Video Award: Nathan Logoleo.
This guy appears to be undersized for a defensive linemen or else he probably would have been a high end recruit based on his HUDL video and production. He produced while playing for the #1 high school team in the nation according to Max Preps. Not sure if he will be a passing down rush end or moved to LB, but the guy likes to hit quarterbacks.

- Most Entertaining HUDL Video To Watch Award: Ray Walters lll.
This award probaby should have gone to Logoleo, but in the interest of spreading the wealth I will award it to Ray Walters who leaped over a defender and sprinted to the end zone as his very first highlight. Walters should make for an interesting DB prospect for us, with some similarities to Justin Rogers, who has been a quality DB for us. Both guys are also from Los Angeles.

- Best Raw Talent Award: Cameron Cooper.
He is a 6’5” offensive tackle who can run. He was a TE until his Senior year. He has limited O-line experience, but appears to have great size and athleticism to become a good tackle. He might be a late bloomer, his father was an NFL player.

- Under Recruited Based on Film Award: Trent Thompson.
He just looks like a football payer when you watch his video. He is a 270 pound defensive lineman who appears to play with a lot of strength. The offers that he had don’t seem to match his video and size. He was still getting sacks 3 1/2 minutes into his HUDL film, which is a good thing.

- Most Interesting Prospect Award: Chris Love.
He will play O-line at UTEP, yet the majority of his HUDL film were highlights of him playing defense. He is 6’4” 290 and looks just as big on film. Moving to O-line full time appears to be the right move.

- Best Longterm Prospect Award: Andrew Nwachukwu.
Obviously, we could go with a number of different selections for this award, but I am going to go with Nwachukwu, who was one of our very first commitments for our new coaching staff. Nwachukwu is a 6’3”, 205+ pound Wide Receiver with good speed(reported 40 time is 4.5). He has the good combination of: impressive measurables, good production(with over 1,000 yards receiving), and good video.

Also, as a side note, we signed two football players from Cy Falls, which is the same high school as basketball recruit Nigel Hawkins. I think that we also signed a women’s basketball player from Cy Falls this year as well, which could potentially give us 4 recruits from the same graduating high school class if Hawkins were to sign with us.

Last edited:
I decided to create some awards for our football recruiting class, based soley on their HUDL films. I decided to provide awards to only the high school recruits(thus eliminating the Junior College guys). Please feel free to disagree with anything that I have come up with:

This guy appears to be undersized for a defensive linemen or else he probably would have been a high end recruit based on his HUDL video and production. He produced while playing for the #1 high school team in the nation according to Max Preps. Not sure if he will be a passing down rush end or moved to LB, but the guy likes to hit quarterbacks.

This award probaby should have gone to Logoleo, but in the interest of spreading the wealth I will award it to Ray Walters who leaped over a defender and sprinted to the end zone as his very first highlight. Walters should make for an interesting DB prospect for us, with some similarities to Justin Rogers, who has been a quality DB for us. Both guys are also from Los Angeles.

He is a 6’5” offensive tackle who can run. He was a TE until his Senior year. He has limited O-line experience, but appears to have great size and athleticism to become a good tackle. He might be a late bloomer, his father was an NFL player.

He just looks like a football payer when you watch his video. He is a 270 pound defensive lineman who appears to play with a lot of strength. The offers that he had don’t seem to match his video and size. He was still getting sacks 3 1/2 minutes into his HUDL film, which is a good thing.

He will play O-line at UTEP, yet the majority of his HUDL film were highlights of him playing defense. He is 6’4” 290 and looks just as big on film. Moving to O-line full time appears to be the right move.

Obviously, we could go with a number of different selections for this award, but I am going to go with Nwachukwu, who was one of our very first commitments for our new coaching staff. Nwachukwu is a 6’3”, 205+ pound Wide Receiver with good speed(reported 40 time is 4.5). He has the good combination of: impressive measurables, good production(with over 1,000 yards receiving), and good video.

Also, as a side note, we signed two football players from Cy Falls, which is the same high school as basketball recruit Nigel Hawkins. I think that we also signed a women’s basketball player from Cy Falls this year as well, which could potentially give us 4 recruits from the same graduating high school class if Hawkins were to sign with us.

This is so fine. I love it. You admit to never having seen these guys, but you set parameters of how the recruits look on game tape only. This disclaimer protects your credibility. Then you proceed to offer freely your opinions. Go for it, my man. Truth be known, the overstuffed national rating systems do the same thing, only they do not admit to their limited perspective.

Suggest you keep this post for 2-3 years and trot them out again. Your comments may be a total bull's-eye, and UTEP is just a stop-over on the way to the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. Or these guys may wind up a mystery with no clues. History tells us half of these guys will wash out, before they ever see the Sun Bowl playing field.

Either way, this is harmless fun, and we chuckle at how much time you spend watching video tapes of total strangers. I mean, really. What responsible adult (cough, cough) would do such a thing?

Last edited:

I won't tell anybody you studied highlights on all these guys for 2018, if you promise not to mention that, just the other day, I watched tapes on the class of 2020. I will deny, deny, deny.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT