ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Football Recruiting based on 247sports rankings.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
So 247sports has our recruiting class ranked dead last in the nation. My natural first thought was things can't get much worse than this. But then when I go in and look at it, using 247's own rankings, and then comparing Dimel's recruiting to the prior years before he arrived, then we are surprisingly actually improving under Dimel:

- This year we had the worst ranked class, yet Dimel still signed as many 3 star players in this year's single class(5) as Kugler signed in his final 3 classes COMBINED!

- If we use 247sports rankings for the top 30 all-time highest ranked UTEP football recruits(this dates back to at least 2005), then Price signed 18 of these players in his 9 years here, Dimel has signed 9 of these players in his 3 years here, and Kugler signed only 3 of these players during his 5 recruiting classes. Using these 247sports rankings, then Dimel is actually out performing both Price and Kugler, by signing and average of 3 top 30 players every year. Kugler signed less than 1 top 30 player per year(.60/year to be exact), and Price only signed 2 top 30 players per year.

NMSU must have been forgotten about, because they are actually the worst ranked FBS team in the nation. NMSU finished ranked 146 and UTEP finished 131.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Not to defend either teams ranking, but both UTEP and NMSU did sign a lot of JC kids and I have noticed that the JC guys don't seem to get the same amount of credit/coverage/stars as the high school guys. For instance, UTEP has 4 JC signee's who didn't even get a rank/star. NMSU has 8 JC signee's who didn't get a rank/star.

The interesting school in the top 150 between UTEP and NMSU is SFA. Colby Carthell is the coach at SFA. He built Texas A&M- Commerce into a d2 power. They won the national championship in 2017. In that year Carthell applied for and lobbied for the UTEP job. Several high profile Texas high school and college coaches personally called Senter to lobby for Carthell. In the end it was all for not Senter went off the tracks and hired Dimel.

SFA hired him last year they were in bad shape. They won three games last year but really improved in the second half of the season. Next year I think they'll have a winning season and will contend in the Southland. It will be really interesting to see how tenure at SFA ends up. I have a feeling hes going to be one those those young coaches who rises fast through the ranks and is at a power 5 school in a few years. You never know he could also be a bust. I'm affraid we'll look back and think what a missed oppurtunity it was to not hire him. He desperately wanted this job.

Gary Theard had multiple offers including 4 MWC and Utah. He was a 3-star in HS. Not listed in 247. Lots of those guys haven't been rated yet.

Rivals has us at 11th in CUSA and North Texas 7th. 247 had North Texas #1.

I dont think 247 does a very good job with 2 and 3 star guys. They know the upper guys but the lower guys they kinda wing it.

Example would be Jace Taylor who was unrated when he was committed to us and then was given 3 stars when he signed with UNM. Another is Gabe Stonewall, who signed with an FCS school but was highly rated. Isaiah Davis had basically no offers and no stars and when UTSA signs him, hes ranked 118th best player in Texas. The more I look at 247 the more I wonder how accurate they actually are with G5 schools

Damn Kugler and Dimel.

Wilson needs to see this stuff because it does have trickle down ramifications. Put it to her this way: "Ms. Wilson, I'm sure how you have read that the F-35 was grossly waaaaaaay over budget, does not perform as well as claims make it out to be and enemies can easily pick it up on radar and it's all over military periodicals and websites.

Well, a not so good write up was just made up on us on TexasFootball.com which is the top college football periodical in the state. Dimel can't afford anymore of this bad publicity."

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Since utep2step responded with his opinion of it, surely that means that he has a paid Dave Campbell’s membership, he read the article, and he could provide a quick summary........right?

Wilson needs to see this stuff because it does have trickle down ramifications. Put it to her this way: "Ms. Wilson, I'm sure how you have read that the F-35 was grossly waaaaaaay over budget, does not perform as well as claims make it out to be and enemies can easily pick it up on radar and it's all over military periodicals and websites.
2Step knows his F35! Most will tout the 20:1 kill ratio, but it’s been a huge fail.

Future UTEP coach down the road? If he keeps progressing and gets successful experience as a coordinator and head coach, I can see it in 5-10 years maybe (if he wanted too that is).

Pass. Similar resume to Kugler. We need someone with as many recruiting ties as possible. A El Pasoan who coached at UTEP and the NFL and is barely getting back into College. Naw.

If we continue to rank dead last in recruiting year after year, and attendance continues to drop....I have to ask the question.....

What will come first? A UTEP Bowl victory, or a UTEP Football switch to FCS football?

I'm sure many could make good points. But if we eventually get to the point where financially it does not make sense, could it happen???? Could it be better for UTEP Athletics?

If we continue to rank dead last in recruiting year after year, and attendance continues to drop....I have to ask the question.....

What will come first? A UTEP Bowl victory, or a UTEP Football switch to FCS football?

I'm sure many could make good points. But if we eventually get to the point where financially it does not make sense, could it happen???? Could it be better for UTEP Athletics?

UTEP should leave CUSA. Join the WAC in hoops and go Indy in football. I’m dead serious. I wouldn’t mind them dropping to FCS either.

UTEP should leave CUSA. Join the WAC in hoops and go Indy in football. I’m dead serious. I wouldn’t mind them dropping to FCS either.

Sounds like what I posted not long after my return to digs. Weren't you one of those blasting me for it back then?

I feel in my lifetime I unfortunately will see a drop to FBS. Could it help UTEP Athletics though? I believe the scholarships would go from around 85 to 63. Ticket and concession prices could be made better for the casual fan and hell we could probably win more games a season and possibly compete at that level.

I cannot see us competing with other other schools in both Football and Basketball. We may be in a situation where you have to pick 1 sport and decide where we put our eggs.

Who would not be happy with a competitive FCS level team, and a basketball driven approach where the basketball team becomes the focus of the budget?

I would say this stadium upgrade is the last gasp approach to this putrid football program outlook. If we cant create a fan friendly environment, win more then 1 game a year, and not be a place where families want to be on a saturday evening, then I think UTEP football is a candidate to eventually make that move. Will it happen in the next few years, I doubt it, but I cannot see this continuing another 15 to 20 years.

Can anyone see us going another 3 or 4 coaches down the road, 10-15 k in the stands a game, with all this money invested and us staying at the FBS level?

Can anyone see us going another 3 or 4 coaches down the road, 10-15 k in the stands a game, with all this money invested and us staying at the FBS level?

No way. Once Dismel is fired, UTEP has 1 shot to get it right. Fans are not going to stand for this shit anymore. Most of us have found other things to do on Saturdays 6 times a year. UTEP cannot afford to hire another bum.

FAU has only been FBS since 2005. They have 1 shared Sun Belt title and 2 outright CUSA titles. They are also 4-0 in Bowl games. UTEP hasn’t won a bowl game since 1967 and never won outside of El Paso. They have 1 shared WAC title in 2000. Having said that, FAU is lucky to average as many fans as UTEP does. Imagine if UTEP accomplished FAU’s achievements on the football field?

UTEP football sucks and they should join NMSU as an Independent. They can earn money as a P5s tune up in November. We don’t make Bowl games or win conference titles, so being in a conference doesn’t matter.

UTEP won 31 games from 2010-2019. FAU won 30 the last 3 years.

No way. Once Dismel is fired, UTEP has 1 shot to get it right. Fans are not going to stand for this shit anymore. Most of us have found other things to do on Saturdays 6 times a year. UTEP cannot afford to hire another bum.

FAU has only been FBS since 2005. They have 1 shared Sun Belt title and 2 outright CUSA titles. They are also 4-0 in Bowl games. UTEP hasn’t won a bowl game since 1967 and never won outside of El Paso. They have 1 shared WAC title in 2000. Having said that, FAU is lucky to average as many fans as UTEP does. Imagine if UTEP accomplished FAU’s achievements on the football field?

UTEP football sucks and they should join NMSU as an Independent. They can earn money as a P5s tune up in November. We don’t make Bowl games or win conference titles, so being in a conference doesn’t matter.

UTEP won 31 games from 2010-2019. FAU won 30 the last 3 years.

The WAC would be the end of UTEP athletics. FCS would be a bigger loss financially than fbs. FBS is the only option.

The WAC would be the end of UTEP athletics. FCS would be a bigger loss financially than fbs. FBS is the only option.

Because UTEP has prospered so much in CUSA???? NMSU seems to be doing just fine in the WAC. We always had a leg up on them conference wise, so how have they managed to survive? I eagerly await your answer.

Because UTEP has prospered so much in CUSA???? NMSU seems to be doing just fine in the WAC. We always had a leg up on them conference wise, so how have they managed to survive? I eagerly await your answer.

NMSU runs a huge deficit that's not sustainable. They will find a conference or drop football. Football independence works for huge church schools with peep pockets ( BYU and Liberty and Notre Dame) or the military academies. That's it's not a long term solution for any one else.

The WAC is always on life support it may not even live very much longer. If Boise leaves the MWC NMSU could very well get the call up. One day GCU will play up to their potential and bolt. This is why I've always said playing NMSU and proping up a non existent rivalry is bad for UTEP. You're two far in the forest to see the trees. NMSU and the WAC is not a good situation.

Reactions: EastCoastMiner17
That's my curiosity. Would we take a financial hit moving to FCS? If we won more games would we average more fans. Possibly allowing us to keep prices down both ticket wise and concessions?

Maybe the loss would be from not taking the paid pounding at the hands of Texas and Oklahoma?

Would I rather be a 7 win team in FBS, then a team that can make the FCS playoffs? Hell ya I would, but are we literally gonna turn into that school with 10k in the stands for a football game on saturday nights? Also I could see it being fun being competitive. At the same time the program would probably be disbanded before any move to FCS.

The idea of Independent is not the worst idea. Then again I dont think we would be willing to that risk and chance lol. So conference affiliation we will probably stay.

That's my curiosity. Would we take a financial hit moving to FCS? If we won more games would we average more fans. Possibly allowing us to keep prices down both ticket wise and concessions?

Maybe the loss would be from not taking the paid pounding at the hands of Texas and Oklahoma?

Would I rather be a 7 win team in FBS, then a team that can make the FCS playoffs? Hell ya I would, but are we literally gonna turn into that school with 10k in the stands for a football game on saturday nights? Also I could see it being fun being competitive. At the same time the program would probably be disbanded before any move to FCS.

The idea of Independent is not the worst idea. Then again I dont think we would be willing to that risk and chance lol. So conference affiliation we will probably stay.

FCS makes are situation worse. CUSA's tv contract is bad. However, it infinitely better than Southland who has little to no revenue. Drop to FCS you lose half of the boosters who are pissed and wont come back. The sponsorship dollars drop at least half probably closer to 60-70%. Its not worth as much as fbs program.

Dropping takes all of UTEP's problems and magnifies them. It's hard to get kids to El Paso for an FBS program try for and FCS school. It wont work. Try getting football and basketball recruits when you are no longer paying COA. Most fcs conferences are bus leagues. We would still be isolated but instead 35 million dollar budget we probably be running on 15 million dollar budget. A lot of fun bus rides for our olympic and basketball teams to nacogdoches, lake charles , Beaumont etc. Basketball is is a one bid league forever. Football plays in a big stadium they can no longer afford the up keep on. FCS is not an option.

NMSU runs a huge deficit that's not sustainable. They will find a conference or drop football. Football independence works for huge church schools with peep pockets ( BYU and Liberty and Notre Dame) or the military academies. That's it's not a long term solution for any one else.

The WAC is always on life support it may not even live very much longer. If Boise leaves the MWC NMSU could very well get the call up. One day GCU will play up to their potential and bolt. This is why I've always said playing NMSU and proping up a non existent rivalry is bad for UTEP. You're two far in the forest to see the trees. NMSU and the WAC is not a good situation.

Boise isn’t leaving the MWC, so NMSU isn’t getting called up anytime soon. NMSU is UTEP’s only real rival. NMSU is also usually UTEP’s most attended basketball and football game.

The WAC isn’t on life support and keeps adding teams. NMSU, Grand Canyon, and Cal Baptist have nicer arenas than everyone in CUSA except for maybe us and ODU. Chicago St has a better arena than FIU, FAU, and UTSA. Once Seattle’s arena is renovated, it will be nicer than anything CUSA has to offer.

The WAC plays their conference tournament in Las Vegas at the same arena that the WCC does. CUSA plays inside of a practice football facility, with curtain dividers like AAU and Y gyms have. If UTEP joined the WAC, they would be on the same level as they are now. We barely beat NMSU every now and then, we would be lucky to finish in 2nd place over there.

Look at NMSU’s football schedule. It is no better or worse than UTEP’s. Going Independent would see more big name teams on UTEP’s football schedule. And like I said, UTEP doesn’t win anyway, so a conference isn’t important.

Boise isn’t leaving the MWC, so NMSU isn’t getting called up anytime soon. NMSU is UTEP’s only real rival. NMSU is also usually UTEP’s most attended basketball and football game.

The WAC isn’t on life support and keeps adding teams. NMSU, Grand Canyon, and Cal Baptist have nicer arenas than everyone in CUSA except for maybe us and ODU. Chicago St has a better arena than FIU, FAU, and UTSA. Once Seattle’s arena is renovated, it will be nicer than anything CUSA has to offer.

The WAC plays their conference tournament in Las Vegas at the same arena that the WCC does. CUSA plays inside of a practice football facility, with curtain dividers like AAU and Y gyms have. If UTEP joined the WAC, they would be on the same level as they are now. We barely beat NMSU every now and then, we would be lucky to finish in 2nd place over there.

Look at NMSU’s football schedule. It is no better or worse than UTEP’s. Going Independent would see more big name teams on UTEP’s football schedule. And like I said, UTEP doesn’t win anyway, so a conference isn’t important.

You obviously dont understand college athletics. NMSU gets five to six body bags games a year. In upcoming seasons they only have four games.

Bragging about Seattle U's arena is hilarious. I live in Seattle not a few blocks from seattle U. Seattle U basketball ranks below seawolves rugby. They will be a secondary tenant in the seattle center arena. They will still have to play some games at their on campus arena ( capacity 900) and a few games at the Showare center in Kent.

Nobody cares about basketball arenas. FAU FIU UTSA have 100 times more name recognition than california baptist umkc chicago st etc.

NMSU and GCU will both will eventually bolt.

You obviously dont understand college athletics. NMSU gets five to six body bags games a year. In upcoming seasons they only have four games.

Bragging about Seattle U's arena is hilarious. I live in Seattle not a few blocks from seattle U. Seattle U basketball ranks below seawolves rugby. They will be a secondary tenant in the seattle center arena. They will still have to play some games at their on campus arena ( capacity 900) and a few games at the Showare center in Kent.

Nobody cares about basketball arenas. FAU FIU UTSA have 100 times more name recognition than california baptist umkc chicago st etc.

NMSU and GCU will both will eventually bolt.

I understand college athletics just fine, you obviously don’t since you think NMSU could replace Boise in the MWC. Body bag games are good for exposure. NMSU played Bama on the SEC Network this year and that game was probably seen by 100x the TV audience than any UTEP game last year. Nobody is covering and watching CUSA games. Playing 4 body bag games is better than what UTEP does now.

Who cares if Seattle plays a few games on campus or in other cities? They can tell recruits most of their games will be in a new arena, not a hunk of shit like CUSA has.

Who do FIU, FAU, and UTSA have more name recognition with? They have football teams, that’s the only difference between them and those WAC teams you mentioned. Most ACC fans probably couldn’t tell you which conference FIU is in. Every school that sucks is the same as the others. You think the attendance to tomorrow’s game would be worse if we were playing Cal Baptist instead of Western Kentucky???

Nobody cares about basketball arenas? Yeah only the fans, media, and the players playing in them.

I understand college athletics just fine, you obviously don’t since you think NMSU could replace Boise in the MWC. Body bag games are good for exposure. NMSU played Bama on the SEC Network this year and that game was probably seen by 100x the TV audience than any UTEP game last year. Nobody is covering and watching CUSA games. Playing 4 body bag games is better than what UTEP does now.

Who cares if Seattle plays a few games on campus or in other cities? They can tell recruits most of their games will be in a new arena, not a hunk of shit like CUSA has.

Who do FIU, FAU, and UTSA have more name recognition with? They have football teams, that’s the only difference between them and those WAC teams you mentioned. Most ACC fans probably couldn’t tell you which conference FIU is in. Every school that sucks is the same as the others. You think the attendance to tomorrow’s game would be worse if we were playing Cal Baptist instead of Western Kentucky???

Nobody cares about basketball arenas? Yeah only the fans, media, and the players playing in them.

That may litterally be the dumbest thing I've ever read. NMSU is going to get a lot publicity being the new Savannah state. CUSA isnt a great league but to suggest the WAC schools have anywhere near the name recognition of C-USA is utterly ridiculous. Great players are flocking in droves to play in the world class arena of the WAC. Chicago State probably has the second nicest arena in the WAC on behing grand
Canyon. In a good night they get 100 fans. Nobody recruits or fans (except of GCU which has a tremendous fanbase and atmosphere) are flocking to WAC games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT