ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Football Recruiting based on 247sports rankings.

I did not say the WAC schools had the same recognition as CUSA. I said it does not matter, as a Duke or Michigan fan does not know the difference between their basketball team playing FIU or Chicago St. They’re just two buy game teams which they expect to beat.

Again, no UTEP fan is buying tickets to see Western Kentucky. If we were playing Cal Baptist tomorrow, the attendance would be the same. As both teams are not name teams and the average fan doesn’t know or care about either one.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I did not say the WAC schools had the same recognition as CUSA. I said it does not matter, as a Duke or Michigan fan does not know the difference between their basketball team playing FIU or Chicago St. They’re just two buy game teams which they expect to beat.

Again, no UTEP fan is buying tickets to see Western Kentucky. If we were playing Cal Baptist tomorrow, the attendance would be the same. As both teams are not name teams and the average fan doesn’t know or care about either one.

If we were in the WAC people would be resigned to the fact that UTEP had given up on athletics. There would be 500 people in the Haskins Center for a game against California Baptist.

Reactions: minerfan_14
If we were in the WAC people would be resigned to the fact that UTEP had given up on athletics. There would be 500 people in the Haskins Center for a game against California Baptist.

Like I said, most fans wouldn’t care. If UTEP gets around 4K for ENMU and NM Highlands, they’re not going to only have “500” for a conference game against Cal Baptist.

The fact that Dismel is still football coach after going 2-22 and the football team going 2-34 the last 3 years, screams athletic superiority. If going 2-34 isn’t “giving up”, I don’t know what is.

Like I said, most fans wouldn’t care. If UTEP gets around 4K for ENMU and NM Highlands, they’re not going to only have “500” for a conference game against Cal Baptist.

The fact that Dismel is still football coach after going 2-22 and the football team going 2-34 the last 3 years, screams athletic superiority. If going 2-34 isn’t “giving up”, I don’t know what is.

Dropping to fcs or being and independent in the WAC would be giving up. It would be the administration saying we cant compete with North Texas, UNT and Rice. That would be the end of UTEP athletics I would never another dime of my money to UTEP. Senter and Dimel are the worst ad coach combination in the history of fbs football. I have hope the next ad will hire a coach who will get us back on track. The last three coaches before Dimel all had winning seasons and bowl games. We just need new leadership ASAP. A new AD would bring alot fresh air and optimism back to athletic department.

Look for UTEP to lose recruits to UTPB in Odessa in the coming years. I just took a tour of their new football locker rooms, weight rooms and film rooms and they are light years ahead of UTEP's. They will open this summer.

"Look for UTEP to lose recruits to UTPB in Odessa in the coming years. I just took a tour of their new football locker rooms, weight rooms and film rooms and they are light years ahead of UTEP's. They will open this summer."

Nothing like UTEP Athletics to depress the hell out of you before a long four day weekend!

Dropping to fcs or being and independent in the WAC would be giving up. It would be the administration saying we cant compete with North Texas, UNT and Rice. That would be the end of UTEP athletics I would never another dime of my money to UTEP. Senter and Dimel are the worst ad coach combination in the history of fbs football. I have hope the next ad will hire a coach who will get us back on track. The last three coaches before Dimel all had winning seasons and bowl games. We just need new leadership ASAP. A new AD would bring alot fresh air and optimism back to athletic department.

We will just agree to disagree. UTEP is already not competing with those schools, even though you listed UNT twice. Rice is a pathetic program and UTEP doesn’t even own them. UNT is already heads and shoulders above UTEP. UTSA is on its way, if not for their awful basketball arena and mediocre results, they would be ahead of us too.

Reactions: utep-piggy
We will just agree to disagree. UTEP is already not competing with those schools, even though you listed UNT twice. Rice is a pathetic program and UTEP doesn’t even own them. UNT is already heads and shoulders above UTEP. UTSA is on its way, if not for their awful basketball arena and mediocre results, they would be ahead of us too.

I' meant to put UTSA not UNT twice. UTSA is already past us 3 in a row on football and I believe they've won 7 of the last 8 in hoops. I dont understand you fascination with basketball arenas.

"Look for UTEP to lose recruits to UTPB in Odessa in the coming years. I just took a tour of their new football locker rooms, weight rooms and film rooms and they are light years ahead of UTEP's. They will open this summer."

Nothing like UTEP Athletics to depress the hell out of you before a long four day weekend!
I mean this with respect, but can you give something concrete?

Second, UTEP has better facilities (weight room bigger than some NFL teams) than some major programs and, well [shoulders shrug], facts are facts.

UTEP should leave CUSA. Join the WAC in hoops and go Indy in football. I’m dead serious. I wouldn’t mind them dropping to FCS either.
You are constantly complaining about how much CUSA sucks, should this happen you would just continue to complain about the conference, maybe even more so.

In basketball, you would tell us that fans in EP can't get excited about playing UMKC or CSU Bakersfield just like you do with CUSA schools. At least CUSA schools have a little more brand recognition than most WAC schools.

In football you would tell us there's no sense in watching them get throttled every week as an independent by P5 schools or you would complain about the level of competition in FCS.

Nobody is happy with the state of the athletics right now but I completely disagree with going to the WAC and going independent / FCS. NMSU is trying real hard to get into a conference right now because they are trying to avoid dropping football or going independent

As an independent we would lose a lot of negotiation power. P5 schools aren’t going to pay us what they’re paying us now. They hold all the power. “You don’t want to play us in November for 800,000, no problem go find another game.” Nmsu schedule in future years has them playing four of the first six games and five of the first six games on the road. What kind of shit is that? By the time 0-6 team hosts Dixie St ain’t no one going to show up.

A better idea would be a H&A with a Texas or California g5 and 3 road P5 games every year. At 1.5-1.7 milli a pop that’s almost an extra five million a year.

Army, Liberty, NMSU, and UMASS do not have any direct bowl affiliations or bowl ties. So if UTEP went Independent, we would for sure be on this list as well. CUSA has 5 guaranteed affiliations or ties for bowl games, with a secondary agreement for 2 others. So CUSA has 14 teams and a potential 7 bowl games. A team can go 6-6 in CUSA, not beat a single team with a winning record, and still have a good chance of playing in a bowl game. A 6-6 record in Independent pretty much means your season is over. Why would we want to make it an even steeper uphill battle to turn this crappy program around??? Even Kugler almost made it to 2 consecutive bowl games. It isn't very difficult to make a bowl game in CUSA, but unfortunately UTEP makes it seem like rocket science.

After Kugler left, UTEP needed to have a "win now approach", and they should have gone with a hiring a successful proven HC with baggage approach. 700k is not going to get you a successful proven HC with no baggage to come to UTEP. The 5 year rebuilding plan with a proven loser HC was the worst option with the condition Kugler left this program. Do you think a guy like Hugh Freeze would have only won one game against a mediocre FCS program and gone winless in CUSA play this season??? Hell No. I doubt he would have won 6 games, but he would have probably won at least 3 or 4 and would have shown improvement.

Reactions: picks up
You are constantly complaining about how much CUSA sucks, should this happen you would just continue to complain about the conference, maybe even more so.

In basketball, you would tell us that fans in EP can't get excited about playing UMKC or CSU Bakersfield just like you do with CUSA schools. At least CUSA schools have a little more brand recognition than most WAC schools.

In football you would tell us there's no sense in watching them get throttled every week as an independent by P5 schools or you would complain about the level of competition in FCS.

Nobody is happy with the state of the athletics right now but I completely disagree with going to the WAC and going independent / FCS. NMSU is trying real hard to get into a conference right now because they are trying to avoid dropping football or going independent

CUSA sucks because it’s far flung and UTEP does not belong in a conference with schools from Virginia, West Virginia, and Florida. It doesn’t help that it is a 1 bid, 14 team league. It’s too big in both teams and miles apart. Their on the field, court performance isn’t that much better! UTEP fans will go and watch any team play, if UTEP is good.

CUSA doesn’t have Memphis or any name team any longer. It’s just a bunch of UTEPesque schools. I would be okay if we left CUSA, that’s all I am saying. It can’t get much worse.

Army, Liberty, NMSU, and UMASS do not have any direct bowl affiliations or bowl ties. So if UTEP went Independent, we would for sure be on this list as well. CUSA has 5 guaranteed affiliations or ties for bowl games, with a secondary agreement for 2 others. So CUSA has 14 teams and a potential 7 bowl games. A team can go 6-6 in CUSA, not beat a single team with a winning record, and still have a good chance of playing in a bowl game. A 6-6 record in Independent pretty much means your season is over. Why would we want to make it an even steeper uphill battle to turn this crappy program around??? Even Kugler almost made it to 2 consecutive bowl games. It isn't very difficult to make a bowl game in CUSA, but unfortunately UTEP makes it seem like rocket science.

After Kugler left, UTEP needed to have a "win now approach", and they should have gone with a hiring a successful proven HC with baggage approach. 700k is not going to get you a successful proven HC with no baggage to come to UTEP. The 5 year rebuilding plan with a proven loser HC was the worst option with the condition Kugler left this program. Do you think a guy like Hugh Freeze would have only won one game against a mediocre FCS program and gone winless in CUSA play this season??? Hell No. I doubt he would have won 6 games, but he would have probably won at least 3 or 4 and would have shown improvement.

Again, bowl ties don’t make any difference unless you’re bowl eligible. UTEP has gone to 6 bowls in 50 plus years. Army has bowl tie ins, as do Liberty and NMSU. Liberty and NMSUs are secondary, but they still have them. Oh and guess what, Liberty went to a bowl this past season, and they won. Just like NMSU did a few years ago.

Liberty and NMSU won bowl games before UTEP has recently on their first attempts.

Dismel might be the worst hire in the history of college sports. We are stuck with him for 2020 and we just have to deal with it.

Liberty was begging CUSA to let them in. Even offered to buy their way in. And they are loaded with cash. Buying home opponents isn’t a problem for them. They’re paying ODU 1.2 million to go Liberty. We play ODU for free. Even they know independence is not the way to sustain a program.

Liberty was begging CUSA to let them in. Even offered to buy their way in. And they are loaded with cash. Buying home opponents isn’t a problem for them. They’re paying ODU 1.2 million to go Liberty. We play ODU for free. Even they know independence is not the way to sustain a program.

Sure, it’s better for a school with aspirations like Liberty to be in a conference. Being in CUSA would be beneficial to them for their other sports. Their olympic sports are parked in the Big South. I’m sure they would rather play ODU, UAB, and Mashall over Presbyterian and Campbell in basketball.

UTEP has been unsuccessful at football since 1967 and has been left behind by countless ex-conference mates. Liberty is trying to better themselves, because they have a commitment to winning.

CUSA sucks because it’s far flung and UTEP does not belong in a conference with schools from Virginia, West Virginia, and Florida. It doesn’t help that it is a 1 bid, 14 team league. It’s too big in both teams and miles apart. Their on the field, court performance isn’t that much better! UTEP fans will go and watch any team play, if UTEP is good.

CUSA doesn’t have Memphis or any name team any longer. It’s just a bunch of UTEPesque schools. I would be okay if we left CUSA, that’s all I am saying. It can’t get much worse.
The WAC is just as far flung as CUSA is but with less to offer. Does UTEP belong in a conference with teams in Chicago, Seattle, Missouri, and California? The distance is very comparable to CUSA, the only difference is that we would be more centrally located in another spread out conference

Reactions: JCorona
The WAC is just as far flung as CUSA is but with less to offer. Does UTEP belong in a conference with teams in Chicago, Seattle, Missouri, and California? The distance is very comparable to CUSA, the only difference is that we would be more centrally located in another spread out conference
Right. “wE DoNt BelOng iN a CoNfeRenCE with FlOrIdA aNd ViRginIA.” But let’s be independent like NMSU and have games scheduled all across the country from Hawaii and California to Florida and Massachusetts.

Being in conference is 99% the way to go. UMass has money but it's just not sustainable. NMSU is in the same boat; they either get into a conference eventually or drop down. But this is not a fraternity of colleges in collegiate athletics; it's a "what have you done for me lately" industry.

Right. “wE DoNt BelOng iN a CoNfeRenCE with FlOrIdA aNd ViRginIA.” But let’s be independent like NMSU and have games scheduled all across the country from Hawaii and California to Florida and Massachusetts.
Corona, NMSU would give the farm (no pun intended) to be in a conference and I have heard them on the radio making no bones about it.

I can live with CUSA.

Football is different. It’s the Olympic sports. NMSU isn’t flying their volleyball and basketball teams out to Florida every year. Football only has 5 to 7 road games each year and there’s a good chance all of them won’t be all on the east coast

Football is different. It’s the Olympic sports. NMSU isn’t flying their volleyball and basketball teams out to Florida every year. Football only has 5 to 7 road games each year and there’s a good chance all of them won’t be all on the east coast
Have you looked at a map? Same distance going from El Paso to Florida as El Paso to Seattle. Same distance to go from El Paso to Virginia as El Paso to Chicago.

Have you looked at a map? Same distance going from El Paso to Florida as El Paso to Seattle. Same distance to go from El Paso to Virginia as El Paso to Chicago.

All the flights I looked at for EP to Virginia were 6 hours + because there’s no non-stops. Imagine that. EP to Chicago is only 3 hours non stop. EP to Seattle is 3 hours non stop. There are no direct flights from El Paso to Miami, so you’re looking at 6 hours again.

I am not sure how the team flies, but as a fan, it’s worse. You would rather see the Miners play at 5pm Mountain on Thursday than 8pm? Not to mention, there’s only 1 hour time zone changes with Chicago and Seattle, not 2 hours like the East coast CUSA teams. I’m sure the players don’t like it. Probably one of the reasons why UTEP has never won over there in football

Last edited:

For what it's worth (like, nothing) my thought about UTEP returning to the WAC was only in the sense that we could learn to win again and maybe even taste the NCAA tournament again. It would be to become pretty again so that maybe, just maybe we would be attractive to those meanies in the MWC or some new, geographically aligned conference where we could have natural rivals that we could get excited about.

I watch the Miners against the east coast teams. But I sit there completely, and I mean ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY UNENTHUSIASTIC about watching our team. I just don't give one single, solitary flying **** about watching our guys play against ODWherever they are and Western McConnell ****face U.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
All the flights I looked at for EP to Virginia were 6 hours + because there’s no non-stops. Imagine that. EP to Chicago is only 3 hours non stop. EP to Seattle is 3 hours non stop. There are no direct flights from El Paso to Miami, so you’re looking at 6 hours again.

I am not sure how the team flies, but as a fan, it’s worse. You would rather see the Miners play at 5pm Mountain on Thursday than 8pm? Not to mention, there’s only 1 hour time zone changes with Chicago and Seattle, not 2 hours like the East coast CUSA teams. I’m sure the players don’t like it. Probably one of the reasons why UTEP has never won over there in football

I'd watch them at 4 in the morning if it meant that they won once in a while.

Ok so now it’s not the distance it’s the travel time! Ok. Let’s take for example a road trip. El Paso to Miami (6hr flight) Miami to Boca Raton (45 minute drive).

Let’s compare it with the WAC road trip. El Paso to Salt Lake City (4-5 hr flight) plus 45 minute drive to Orem. 45 minute drive back to Salt Lake City and then jump on a 3 hour flight to Seattle.

You want me to calculate the Kansas City/Chicago road trip next?

I’m sure the players hate going to Miami/Ft Lauderdale. They much rather go to Orem Utah.

For what it's worth (like, nothing) my thought about UTEP returning to the WAC was only in the sense that we could learn to win again and maybe even taste the NCAA tournament again. It would be to become pretty again so that maybe, just maybe we would be attractive to those meanies in the MWC or some new, geographically aligned conference where we could have natural rivals that we could get excited about.

I watch the Miners against the east coast teams. But I sit there completely, and I mean ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY UNENTHUSIASTIC about watching our team. I just don't give one single, solitary flying **** about watching our guys play against ODWherever they are and Western McConnell ****face U.
So instead of playing respected programs like WKU and ODU you rather watch them play Utah Valley, UTRGV, and UMKC?

How do you explain to the fan base and donors all over Texas that they can’t see their team live in DFW, Houston and San Antonio anymore? I would be pissed. I wait all year for those road trips.

So instead of playing respected programs like WKU and ODU you rather watch them play Utah Valley, UTRGV, and UMKC?

How do you explain to the fan base and donors all over Texas that they can’t see their team live in DFW, Houston and San Antonio anymore? I would be pissed. I wait all year for those road trips.

I'm not excited about them either but if they help us learn to win again I can live with it. Read the entirety of my post. The goal is NOT to simply play those schools forever. It's to play them and learn to win again so that we can get into a conference that makes better sense than either the CUSA or the WAC.

Which conference would that be? Well, as I also said in my post, the MWC. Or a new conference that could include some of mix of MWC and Texas schools in locations like, oh, I dunno. DFW, Houston, San Antonio.

Read the entirety of my post, friend. Don't stop partway through and then act like I said that I want to play ****ing UTRGV forever.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

Respected? Lol. ODU has one tournament appearance the last 8 years and it was last year. They’ve only won 3 Tournament games in their entire history. Exactly who respects them?

WKU hasn’t been since 2013. I guess that 1971 Final Four is still holding weight. Lol

Texas Alums can still see UTEP play against Tarleton St and UTRGV. I’m sure any CUSA Texas team would play UTEP non-conference

Ok so now it’s not the distance it’s the travel time! Ok. Let’s take for example a road trip. El Paso to Miami (6hr flight) Miami to Boca Raton (45 minute drive).

Let’s compare it with the WAC road trip. El Paso to Salt Lake City (4-5 hr flight) plus 45 minute drive to Orem. 45 minute drive back to Salt Lake City and then jump on a 3 hour flight to Seattle.

You want me to calculate the Kansas City/Chicago road trip next?

I’m sure the players hate going to Miami/Ft Lauderdale. They much rather go to Orem Utah.

Kansas City is leaving the WAC this year and as soon as the WAC can get another member, they will give Chicago State the boot. CSU is on a year to year deal with the WAC.

I’m sure the players love Miami over Orem. Most people would. That’s not the point. UTEP doesn’t belong in a conference with FIU and FAU. When was the last time you got excited about playing them? How bout never? Same with UVU, except they’re in the same damn time zone and UTEP fans can watch the game in Orem at 7pm and not 5pm. Or as in FIUs case this year, 12pm Thursday.

I'm not excited about them either but if they help us learn to win again I can live with it. Read the entirety of my post. The goal is NOT to simply play those schools forever. It's to play them and learn to win again so that we can get into a conference that makes better sense than either the CUSA or the WAC.

Which conference would that be? Well, as I also said in my post, the MWC. Or a new conference that could include some of mix of MWC and Texas schools in locations like, oh, I dunno. DFW, Houston, San Antonio.

Read the entirety of my post, friend. Don't stop partway through and then act like I said that I want to play ****ing UTRGV forever.

Agree. The MWC ain’t happening, especially with the shit performances our football and basketball teams have been turning in. UTEP is an outlier in CUSA and the WAC is a much better fit.

I think what you and I are saying, is that some fans on here talk shit about the WAC, but it’s no better or worse than CUSA. And UTEP isn’t even competitive in CUSA.

I read the entire post. The MWC isn’t adding anymore mouths to feed no matter how many NCAAT in a row we make. Look at nmsu.

Why can’t we learn to win against the shitty teams in CUSA? There’s plenty of them here.

NMSU has been pretty in the WAC for a long time and hasn't been able to get out of the WAC despite openly lobbying to get into CUSA, MWC, and Sun Belt

Respected? Lol. ODU has one tournament appearance the last 8 years and it was last year. They’ve only won 3 Tournament games in their entire history. Exactly who respects them?

WKU hasn’t been since 2013. I guess that 1971 Final Four is still holding weight. Lol

Texas Alums can still see UTEP play against Tarleton St and UTRGV. I’m sure any CUSA Texas team would play UTEP non-conference
WKU is ranked #15 in total wins in the history of NCAA basketball. WKU and ODU are both ranked in the top 40 teams with the best overall winning percentage ever. Along with UAB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT