ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Football Recruiting based on 247sports rankings.

WKU is ranked #15 in total wins in the history of NCAA basketball. WKU and ODU are both ranked in the top 40 teams with the best overall winning percentage ever. Along with UAB.

If you want to argue those teams are the best CUSA has to offer, I will agree. If you want to argue those are good programs, I will agree. If you’re gonna tell me those are programs UTEP “should” be with and that they are “needle movers” I won’t agree with that.

I would rather be in the WAC/Independent than CUSA. That’s it.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I used to think each year we would be good and than reality would set in the first ten minutes of the game. I gave that up now and just hope we get better! But I doubt it. And this is from someone that went to every football and basketball game for 28 seasons. No wonder I have no hair on the top of my head!

I read the entire post. The MWC isn’t adding anymore mouths to feed no matter how many NCAAT in a row we make. Look at nmsu.

Why can’t we learn to win against the shitty teams in CUSA? There’s plenty of them here.

Learn to win against teams we can get excited about. Get some fans back in the stands against the school up the road in Albuquerque or Denver or Tucson or Lubbock. Not Podunk, WV. or Poontang, TN. There's NO excitement in that.

NMSU has been pretty in the WAC for a long time and hasn't been able to get out of the WAC despite openly lobbying to get into CUSA, MWC, and Sun Belt

Agree. But at the risk of alienating the good peeps from Lost Causes, El Paso has more to offer. Much larger population base, a beautiful mountain encased Sun Bowl, etc. And I'm not talking about the Sun Bowl game that is not run by UTEP. I just mean the facilities in which we play.

What other school in the country (or in Texas for that matter) has the base facilities, a starving fan base and 25000+ students in a city of nearly 1 million and is a perennial loser? AND there is no other pro sport or school to compete with?

The answer is to find a way up, not down. We need wins on the field, not rebuilds. Other schools do it. We have done it on occasion. It is possible with the right leaders and coaches. It's up to Heather Wilson now. All inquiries and concerns should be directed towards her.

I mean this with respect, but can you give something concrete?

Second, UTEP has better facilities (weight room bigger than some NFL teams) than some major programs and, well [shoulders shrug], facts are facts.
The new UTPB facility is over 163000 as feet and cost over 37 million. Their new weight room is comparable in size to UTEP's. Their locker room is better. Each locker is individually vented and each locker has a place to lock up valuables and charge their electronic devices. Their training room is better than the Durham Center and the 150 seat film room puts UTEP's to shame.

What other school in the country (or in Texas for that matter) has the base facilities, a starving fan base and 25000+ students in a city of nearly 1 million and is a perennial loser? AND there is no other pro sport or school to compete with?

Probably none, which makes UTEP Athletics even more pathetic. Guess we can blame Juarez cartels, fans for “not supporting”, and KVIA for showing NMSU highlights, right?

D2 schools like UTPB can only offer 36 football scholarships. FCS schools can offer up to 63 football scholarships. D2 and FCS are not even close to being the same.

UTPB is two levels lower than UTEP and play schools like Wayland Baptist. To think that kids would rather choose UTPB, play in a high school stadium, and bus to conference games in places like Portales, NM and Silver City, NM is utterly ridiculous.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
The new UTPB facility is over 163000 as feet and cost over 37 million. Their new weight room is comparable in size to UTEP's. Their locker room is better. Each locker is individually vented and each locker has a place to lock up valuables and charge their electronic devices. Their training room is better than the Durham Center and the 150 seat film room puts UTEP's to shame.
We need donors like that. Unfortunately our big donor chose to tie up his money in minor league sports and now Liga MX, and he is doing very well. I think he was our big opportunity and can still be in the future. In the meantime Wilson needs to figure this debacle out.

Reactions: Lil_Train

The answer is to find a way up, not down. We need wins on the field, not rebuilds. Other schools do it. We have done it on occasion. It is possible with the right leaders and coaches. It's up to Heather Wilson now. All inquiries and concerns should be directed towards her.

You're probably right, Mr. Fools. And I should have just stayed out of the fray this time around. I had stopped talking about it a few months ago after saying my piece so everything I've said in this thread is redundant and, as such, wholly unnecessary.

I'll see myself out.

For what it's worth (like, nothing) my thought about UTEP returning to the WAC was only in the sense that we could learn to win again and maybe even taste the NCAA tournament again. It would be to become pretty again so that maybe, just maybe we would be attractive to those meanies in the MWC or some new, geographically aligned conference where we could have natural rivals that we could get excited about.

I watch the Miners against the east coast teams. But I sit there completely, and I mean ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY UNENTHUSIASTIC about watching our team. I just don't give one single, solitary flying **** about watching our guys play against ODWherever they are and Western McConnell ****face U.
If they were winning you would care. It’s our crappy coaches, AD, and marketing that is killing UTEP.
President Wilson wake up!

Reactions: axingfools1
If they were winning you would care. It’s our crappy coaches, AD, and marketing that is killing UTEP.
President Wilson wake up!

Actually, no, I wouldn't, Mr. Dman. I cared a little when SMU and Houston were conference mates. I truly don't give a rat's ass about this conference. We've been relegated to playing in a conference made up of schools that a few years ago were div 1-AA or div 2.

And they're kicking our asses anyway. So we have already dropped down to division 2, we just haven't been told and we're still living in a world where we think we can compete with the best of the best.

Somebody wake me up. Please.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT