MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011
Assuming there is a season:
Who is our starting QB?
Who are our top 5 players?
Which new guys could make a big impact?
Question spots?

I'm gonna say Hardison at QB.

Top 5 are Wadley, Cowing, Amaewhule, Van Hook and Lowe.

Knight and Wilson need to step up at LB. Byers at RT and Stewart/Moss/Brown along the D-line.

TE is a big question mark

I also wonder if Hankins or Eldridge can take over the backup RB spot from Fields.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Who is our starting QB?
Question spots?

Knight and Wilson need to step up at LB. Byers at RT and Stewart/Moss/Brown along the D-line.

I also wonder if Hankins or Eldridge can take over the backup RB spot from Fields.

How about Bryson Williams at TE?

Who is our starting QB?
Question spots?

I think the O-line will be pretty strong, RBs will be better than average, WR will be good with Cowing and Garrett, but two things bother me about the offense. 1) QB, we desperately need one or two of them to step up and play like a legit div 1 QB. I hope Goodwin or Hardison fit the bill. 2) Coaching philosophy. We really need some good play calling or the offense is in trouble.

On defense there are a number of questions but the influx of new JC players at least gives some hope that the D will be better.

We don't have to be Alabama or Ohio St to win in this conference. I think we probably have enough decent players to be competitive in all the conference games but do we have the coaching? Time will tell.

I hate to be a downer but I can’t get hyped with this information. Goodwin is suppose to be the man to change the culture at UTEP. No disrespect to Hardison but this isn’t a good sign for the future of the program.

At the same time if Goodwin can’t win the job outright what are you going to do? On paper he probably has the highest ceiling but unfortunately he’s a RS Freshman, it might be asking a lot of someone that young to take the reigns so early.

At the same time if Goodwin can’t win the job outright what are you going to do? On paper he probably has the highest ceiling but unfortunately he’s a RS Freshman, it might be asking a lot of someone that young to take the reigns so early.
Unlike last season, if we actually have games this year, both of them will play. If Hardison is the man as an EP sports reporter thought he was going to be, then fine. As long as he is good enough to get the job done. But I expect Goodwin to come of age this year and eventually be the starter.

Reactions: picks up
Unlike last season, if we actually have games this year, both of them will play. If Hardison is the man as an EP sports reporter thought he was going to be, then fine. As long as he is good enough to get the job done. But I expect Goodwin to come of age this year and eventually be the starter.

Dimel needs to pick on of them and stay with them. No more musical chairs. I think it's got to be Goodwin.

Recruit better players.

We brought in Locksley the NCJAA offensive player of the year. Who led his team to an 11-1 record while amassing 3000 yards of offense and 40 touchdowns. We beat one FBS team.

You’re gonna tell me a backup qb of a 3 win team who had 400 yards and 4 tds is the solution.

I see recruiting and the entire team going backwards.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Recruit better players.

We brought in Locksley the NCJAA offensive player of the year. Who led his team to an 11-1 record while amassing 3000 yards of offense and 40 touchdowns. We beat one FBS team.

You’re gonna tell me a backup qb of a 3 win team who had 400 yards and 4 tds is the solution.

I don’t know how much further back this team can go compared to the last three years, but I get what your saying.

I don’t know how much further back this team can go compared to the last three years, but I get what your saying.
Kugler averaged 3.6 wins per season in his time here. I’m not sure Dimel will have 3 fbs wins by then end of his year 3 non the less beat 3 teams in one year. Until he at least gets us there, this program keeps going backwards. We’re not asking him to take us to a bowl, have a winning season, or produce nfl talent. Can he at least produce half the results Kugler did?

Wadley was a 180lb speedster when he came to UTEP. He is now 220lbs. If we can get some good run blocking/play calling, we will have a decent run game. Big if though.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Wadley was a 180lb speedster when he came to UTEP. He is now 220lbs. If we can get some good run blocking/play calling, we will have a decent run game. Big if though.
Agree. I also think Hankins can be a solid power running option when he returns. The line has to improve as you mentioned, but the biggest need in my opinion is a competent passing game. Garrett and Cowing are decent receivers, but I think the defections at that position will hurt. I still find it mind boggling that Dimel didn't give any game time to Goodwin last year. It is tough to envision either one of these two inexperienced guys coming in being effective.

Reactions: axingfools1
Agree. I also think Hankins can be a solid power running option when he returns. The line has to improve as you mentioned, but the biggest need in my opinion is a competent passing game. Garrett and Cowing are decent receivers, but I think the defections at that position will hurt. I still find it mind boggling that Dimel didn't give any game time to Goodwin last year. It is tough to envision either one of these two inexperienced guys coming in being effective.
Either Goodwin sucks (Hence not playing last year on a crappy team) or Dimel is about to release a nice suprise. Hopefully its the latter. I dont see much middle ground

Reactions: Lil_Train
Either Goodwin sucks (Hence not playing last year on a crappy team) or Dimel is about to release a nice suprise. Hopefully its the latter. I dont see much middle ground

Talent wise I think hes the best UTEP QBs since Vittatoe which isn't saying alot. His mechanics are very good. He throws a nice. You never really know how these guys will do until the lights come on. Can they read defenses and through their progressions? Can they lead the lead the team? Last year we should have let him start the lat four games. I hope hes good we're about to find out. I don't have alot of hope for any of the other qbs. Hardison didn't show alot last year. His accuracy really concerns me. You can fix alot of issues with a QBs accuracy is not one of them.

Talent wise I think hes the best UTEP QBs since Vittatoe which isn't saying alot. His mechanics are very good. He throws a nice. You never really know how these guys will do until the lights come on. Can they read defenses and through their progressions? Can they lead the lead the team? Last year we should have let him start the lat four games. I hope hes good we're about to find out. I don't have alot of hope for any of the other qbs. Hardison didn't show alot last year. His accuracy really concerns me. You can fix alot of issues with a QBs accuracy is not one of them.
I question also if Dimel and staff are going to just run our QB into the ground. If they do Goodwin won't last long.

Recruit better players.

What other FBS schools would Locksley started at QB at?

Locksley was much touted when he came to UTEP for his visit. I bought into it like some others due to his stats in JC, as JCorona listed but he either did not have the makings of a div 1 QB or his surrounding cast at UTEP didn't have enough talent to give him a proper opportunity. Either way it did not work out well for him or for UTEP. He may have been better suited to be a WR. Very athletic. I'm hoping Hardison and/or Goodwin will have the ability to play well at QB but it is tough at UTEP. Dual threat QB's can get beat up in this offense, as we have seen.

He was invited to visit Pitt, so there's that.

The lack of weight is what worries me, especially if he’s going to be running that read option offense. He’s one big hit away from getting knocked out.
Yep. One needs a Tim Tebow body to run the pistol/wildcat or whatever and have some durability. Unless the person can throw well, but at 200lbs he probably won't last long.

I think we all know anybody like that isn't coming to UTEP, hence the need for a spread offense like CMP brought. Add a decent defense and the conference is winnable. Not happening under Dimel.

What other school d2, FCS, or whatever you can think of would Hardison start at? He wasn’t even a starter at the school he transferred from. At least Kai was and a successful one too.

What other school d2, FCS, or whatever you can think of would Hardison start at? He wasn’t even a starter at the school he transferred from. At least Kai was and a successful one too.

I’m not saying he’s a savior, but to his defense, Dumb Dimel had him running plays not suited for his abilities last year. Maybe he will this season, at least in some part.

I don’t care what Kai’s stats were, or anyone else in high school or JUCO. They don’t mean squat. Kai was a shit QB and is not an every down QB at any FBS school.

I’m not saying he’s a savior, but to his defense, Dumb Dimel had him running plays not suited for his abilities last year. Maybe he will this season, at least in some part.

I don’t care what Kai’s stats were, or anyone else in high school or JUCO. They don’t mean squat. Kai was a shit QB and is not an every down QB at any FBS school.
Are you agreeing with my post disagreeing with it or what’s the deal. I don’t understand why you even answered to me in the first place asking me what schools would Kai start at.

My point is Kai had betters stats and a better record than Hardison. Kai was a bust since he only beat one FBS team. I don’t see Hardison been any better due to the fact he hasn’t shown the ability to do what Kai did in the juco rounds but somehow he’s going to make a jump to starting FBS qb? Recruiting is going backwards.

What’s your point?

Are you agreeing with my post disagreeing with it or what’s the deal. I don’t understand why you even answered to me in the first place asking me what schools would Kai start at.

My point is Kai had betters stats and a better record than Hardison. Kai was a bust since he only beat one FBS team. I don’t see Hardison been any better due to the fact he hasn’t shown the ability to do what Kai did in the juco rounds but somehow he’s going to make a jump to starting FBS qb? Recruiting is going backwards.

What’s your point?

Kai played on an absolutely loaded juco team. Watching him on tape the thing that stood out which stood out was he never came off his first read. The second thing was that his mechanics were god awful and never improved. His accuracy was terrible. His teammates were so dominant they masked his difiecencies. There is a reason he only had on two fbs offers UTEP and NMSU. When you really broke down his tape it was clear he wasn't a d1 qb. Add to that the character concerns and he wasn't even considered by most.

What’s your point?

Just saying that just because Gavin had shitty stats, doesn’t mean that he’s total trash. Kai had good stats and was total trash. We’re probably going to see how good/bad he is. Sometimes players like Alvin Jones come here and end up good players. Other times we get guys with good stats and they end up sucking.

I like Goodwin because I think he's probably the smartest qb we have had since Palmer. I think he's the future which makes him the present.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Just saying that just because Gavin had shitty stats, doesn’t mean that he’s total trash. Kai had good stats and was total trash. We’re probably going to see how good/bad he is. Sometimes players like Alvin Jones come here and end up good players. Other times we get guys with good stats and they end up sucking.
Cool man. We expect this same energy anytime UTEP signs a player that we beat out mcneese st for. I’m screenshoting this so anytime you shit on one of our recruits we can simply point to your own words.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I agree that both of them will play and predict that they will both start a game. Dimel has shown tendencies to flip-flop QBs rather than sticking to 1 guy. I'm pulling for Goodwin, personally

What’s your point?
I think we need to look past Hardison's 1 year of jc where there was already a starter in place when he got there. Look at his high school senior year at Hobbs. He ended with a qb rating of 137 which is quite high. He threw for over 5000 yds with 59 tds, 9 ints and a completion rate of 68%. He has the makings of a very good qb.

I think we need to look past Hardison's 1 year of jc where there was already a starter in place when he got there. Look at his high school senior year at Hobbs. He ended with a qb rating of 137 which is quite high. He threw for over 5000 yds with 59 tds, 9 ints and a completion rate of 68%. He has the makings of a very good qb.

Meh. Who did he play in high school? 5,000 yards at Hobbs?

Fair point. I think his college stats tell us a better indicator of his talent at this level.

The competition was open for the starting qb. It looks like Frampton won the job. He wasn’t the starter during his freshman year. He had a solid year a qb rating of 131 passing for 1300 yards and 15 tds. He also rushed for 640 and another 10 tds. This was done in only 8 games so not bad. Why do you think we didn’t go for the starting qb of NMMI? Why did we settle for the unproven backup? As far as I can find no else picked up Frampton.

I can’t drink the Kool aid anymore. We’re in for a long season. For a longer rebuild once Dimel is gone.

Maybe they don't want to throw a young red shirt freshman to the mix just yet? Hey nothing wrong with letting a freshman mature rather than crushing him before he's ready.

Maybe they don't want to throw a young red shirt freshman to the mix just yet? Hey nothing wrong with letting a freshman mature rather than crushing him before he's ready.

I agree, but if sh*t goes sideways then what do we lose? Does Dimel have the luxury of waiting for players to mature or does he need to get results?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT