ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Football Roster

I heard from a reputable source that UTEPs offense will be using more spread formations this year in attempt to develop a more effective passing game. whether they succeed remains to be seen.
Heard the same. I wonder if those adjustments are because they don’t have a qb that can run the sets Dimel is known for.

I meant that Hardison isn’t a qb to run their run pass option offense. It’s strange to bring in a qb that’s totally opposite of the offense we run. Does Dimel even know what the hell he’s doing?

After awhile I wondered if our offense was like old street football where you snapped the ball to the fastest guy and he just dodged to find an opening.

Seems like the draw was the play run 80% of the time.

Reactions: picks up
After awhile I wondered if our offense was like old street football where you snapped the ball to the fastest guy and he just dodged to find an opening.

Seems like the draw was the play run 80% of the time.
Now we don’t have a qb that can successfully run a draw. I don’t know what Dimel/Canales are gonna do. They might have to actually put together an offensive game plan.

Our offensive strength lies in a quarterback with a very strong arm, a good running back committee and a very fast and deep set of receivers. Seems like the coaches are playing to our strengths in running more spread formations and keeping defenses honest. A good coach plays to the strength of his players.

There appear to be 3 new departures on the roster. OL Darta Lee, WR Skyler Newsome, and JC QB Marco Badacchino are no longer listed. There was was some positive rumblings about Newsome's potential, so that loss is a concern. Zuri Henry must now stay healthy, since Lee is gone.

JC Wide Receiver Christian Willis who signed with us and a lot of us seemed to like, has also never appeared on the roster.

JC QB Devon Daich is now appearing on the roster. Possibly another JC QB walk-on. Here's is his HUDL link:

https://www.hudl.com/profile/9242903/Devon-Daich

I'm not so down on Hardison. He may be pretty servicable and actually force our coaches to pass the ball more.

I agree. He will probably have some early struggles, but he does have some tools to work with, plus he could have 2, maybe 3 more years as the starter after this season(obviously never a given in today's transfer climate). But my hope is that by the end of this year, we will feel good about the starting QB spot for a few years to come.

However, if Hardison doesn't show that type of potential/improvement through this season, then it's back to square one at QB during Dimel's 4th year, which would almost certainly result in being the final nail in his coffin. So no pressure...

There appear to be 3 new departures on the roster. OL Darta Lee, WR Skyler Newsome, and JC QB Marco Badacchino are no longer listed. There was was some positive rumblings about Newsome's potential, so that loss is a concern. Zuri Henry must now stay healthy, since Lee is gone.

JC Wide Receiver Christian Willis who signed with us and a lot of us seemed to like, has also never appeared on the roster.

JC QB Devon Daich is now appearing on the roster. Possibly another JC QB walk-on. Here's is his HUDL link:

Lee came in to be a starter, but that never worked out. Next man up.

I agree but a better coach recruits players that fit his offensive philosophy. It’s one thing if a highly recruited qb lands in your arms and you want to adjust your offense to his style. This isn’t the case.

That new QB is a big dude that can motor pretty well. Probably just an insurance policy since he is just arriving.

Damn, Darta Lee can’t seem to stay in one place more than a year or so. That I know of, he has at least committed to UH, Kansas State, Illinois and UTEP. Where next?

Reactions: UTEPDefense
A lot of underclassmen starting.

Moss, Stewart and Knight all starting up the middle on defense. Look out for Moss since he took Simpsons spot.

Keep an eye on Wilson at LB. I think he might break into the starting lineup quick with VanHook so injury prone.

Cooper behind Cowing

Looks like our transfer TE is not in the top 2.

And remember any of these guys could return next year

Reactions: kickballpro
A lot of underclassmen starting.

Moss, Stewart and Knight all starting up the middle on defense. Look out for Moss since he took Simpsons spot.

Keep an eye on Wilson at LB. I think he might break into the starting lineup quick with VanHook so injury prone.

Cooper behind Cowing

Looks like our transfer TE is not in the top 2.

And remember any of these guys could return next year

It’s still too early, but we may get our answer soon enough. Did they knock it out of the park recruiting wise or are we devoid of talent on both sides of the ball?

Darta Lee is on that depth chart
Yes, he is back on there. Last week, he was not listed and Dimel also did not even mention him during his radio show last week when he was previewing the O-linemen.

There are also a few more new additions that have been added since last week, including: JC WR Darrell Benjamin, LB Breon Hayward, JC DB Deshaun Trotter.

Reactions: Lil_Train
It’s still too early, but we may get our answer soon enough. Did they knock it out of the park recruiting wise or are we devoid of talent on both sides of the ball?
Definitely not a tremendous influx, but starting 2 new DTs, MLB and whole right side of the OL and center is a start.

Deylan Williams is supposed to be a baller so we might not see to much of a dropoff if Praise Amahuele??? comes out for a few plays.

Deylan Williams is supposed to be a baller so we might not see to much of a dropoff if Praise Amahuele??? comes out for a few plays.
Saw his juco tape on UTEP site and he can fight off blocks and laser lock focus and if qb or rb is within his wing span he locks up on tackles.

But this is the unknown from Dimel's heavy JUCO recruiting on defensive side as they transition to FBS.

My understanding is that the 4 Long Snappers(all Freshman) are all preferred Walk-Ons and the one who wins the job will be placed on scholarship.

The 4 of them are paying their own way trying to earn the 1 scholarship spot for that position. This is a safer philosophy, than just signing 1 Long Snapper and hoping that he works out. Our Long Snapper from last year(Boston) left after last season.

Does anyone know about the new defensive players? There seems to be a lot of JC guys and not too many Freshmen. Is the plan to just turn over the D every 2 years?

I think the plan is to check their pulse and temp and then give them a scholarship. Honestly, recruiting freshman has paid little benefit to the program, maybe going jc or transfer route will.

Reactions: JCorona
Now we don’t have a qb that can successfully run a draw. I don’t know what Dimel/Canales are gonna do. They might have to actually put together an offensive game plan.

Hardison can’t run?

Hardison can’t run?
If he can, through his career he hasn’t really been used as a running type qb.

As Miner in two games he has 14 carries for -7 yards. He has attempted 61 passes.

At NMMI in five games he had 18 for 88 yards. 1 TD. Attempted 67 passes.

In 23 HS games he had 38 rushes for 296 yards. He attempted 922 passes.

From his stats he looks to be a drop back passer.

If he can, through his career he hasn’t really been used as a running type qb.

As Miner in two games he has 14 carries for -7 yards. He has attempted 61 passes.

At NMMI in five games he had 18 for 88 yards. 1 TD. Attempted 67 passes.

In 23 HS games he had 38 rushes for 296 yards. He attempted 922 passes.

From his stats he looks to be a drop back passer.

Snyder liked tall, tough QBs who could tuck it and run.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I think the plan is to check their pulse and temp and then give them a scholarship. Honestly, recruiting freshman has paid little benefit to the program, maybe going jc or transfer route will.

It looks like Cowing got some of his HS teammates to join him. Hopefully, they'll have the same kind of impact as he did!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT