ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP football season W/L predictions

What were UTEP's recruiting rankings under Kugler?

By what measure are you concluding that UTEP ALWAYS had good talent? Surely not by their on-field results or recruiting rankings.
He is just a homer and cheerleader. UTEP consistently has the worst talent and coaches.

At NMSU -A win here, and Miners will win more... A loss, and they win 2 games. Thinking they squeak out a win.
BCU - W
At Boise - L
UNM - L
ODU - W
At USM - L
LaTech - L
At FAU - L
UTSA - W
At UNT - L
Rice - W
At UAB - L

3-5 wins, max... Dana Dimel, is still the shot caller... 2 wins is a disaster... Does 6 save his job? Let's find out this season lol

I've seen a few people pick us to beat UTSA. They completely shut us down in the second half. Ending the game on a 35-0 run. They're trending upwards and will compete for the West title. I don't think we beat them.

I've seen a few people pick us to beat UTSA. They completely shut us down in the second half. Ending the game on a 35-0 run. They're trending upwards and will compete for the West title. I don't think we beat them.
Yeah, it’s UTSA. They’re not Notre Dame. It’s being played here in El Paso. Beating UTSA at home isn’t out of the question. To me Boise St is the only “non winnable” game. That doesn’t mean I think the Miners will go 11-1 though.

Yeah, it’s UTSA. They’re not Notre Dame. It’s being played here in El Paso. Beating UTSA at home isn’t out of the question. To me Boise St is the only “non winnable” game. That doesn’t mean I think the Miners will go 11-1 though.
We've never beat utsa at home. They just pulled in the #1 recruiting class in the conference. They're the only G5 team to completely dominate us last year. Their coach has been there one year and has already won more than double the games Dimel has in 3 years.

I feel like UAB and UTSA are two sure losses in the West.

We've never beat utsa at home. They just pulled in the #1 recruiting class in the conference. They're the only G5 team to completely dominate us last year. Their coach has been there one year and has already won more than double the games Dimel has in 3 years.

I feel like UAB and UTSA are two sure losses in the West.
They might be “for sure losses”, but they can beat UTSA.

An expectation is what you would accept as minimal results. If you sell cars, your boss might give you an expectation of selling 2 cars a week. He wants you to sell 10.

I don’t think you understand the word, expectation. As any UTEP football fan expecting to compete for something they’ve never accomplished, is utterly rid

At NMSU -A win here, and Miners will win more... A loss, and they win 2 games. Thinking they squeak out a win.
BCU - W
At Boise - L
UNM - L
ODU - W
At USM - L
LaTech - L
At FAU - L
UTSA - W
At UNT - L
Rice - W
At UAB - L

3-5 wins, max... Dana Dimel, is still the shot caller... 2 wins is a disaster... Does 6 save his job? Let's find out this season lol
What am I missing on why every thinks UNM will be a loss?

At this point, the UNM game is a toss up. Both teams are some of the worst in college football.

What am I missing on why every thinks UNM will be a loss?
I guess cuz their coach has already beat the same amount of FBS teams in a shortened Covid season than Dimel has in 3 years us our coach.

The only positive sign of improvement from last year is that we trounced the worst FBS team. We followed that up by losing every game remaining on our schedule.

This coach still has alot to prove before any FBS game can be chalked up as W in pre season predictions.

I guess cuz their coach has already beat the same amount of FBS teams in a shortened Covid season than Dimel has in 3 years us our coach.

The only positive sign of improvement from last year is that we trounced the worst FBS team. We followed that up by losing every game remaining on our schedule.

This coach still has alot to prove before any FBS game can be chalked up as W in pre season predictions.
It really is incredible how long Dimel has been given.

It really is incredible how long Dimel has been given.
It only feels that way. This is year 4. I think most coaches should get a “break” on 2020. Had he lost to one of the FCS teams and Monroe, you could have argued to fire him.

This is a big year for him and I believe if he loses to NMSU or BCU, he will likely be fired. The real question is, does Senter bring him back if he wins 4-6 games?

Senter really lucked out with Terry leaving, so the heat isn’t on him as bad. We will see what happens.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin

I think it's a 50/50 game and I give us the edge at home so I'll take Miners.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
It only feels that way. This is year 4. I think most coaches should get a “break” on 2020. Had he lost to one of the FCS teams and Monroe, you could have argued to fire him.

This is a big year for him and I believe if he loses to NMSU or BCU, he will likely be fired. The real question is, does Senter bring him back if he wins 4-6 games?

Senter really lucked out with Terry leaving, so the heat isn’t on him as bad. We will see what happens.
Pretty sure Dimel knows he is on the hot seat. Also pretty sure he thinks he has the program built up and should have a good season.

Phil Steele mag, highly respected, thinks Dimel started this job with a hot mess on his hands but now in his 4th year he expects 5 wins and just one upset would send UTEP to a bowl. We are less than 4 weeks to the must win Aggie game. While a win would be encouraging, it would only be a good start with lots more to prove.

Pretty sure Dimel knows he is on the hot seat. Also pretty sure he thinks he has the program built up and should have a good season.

Phil Steele mag, highly respected, thinks Dimel started this job with a hot mess on his hands but now in his 4th year he expects 5 wins and just one upset would send UTEP to a bowl. We are less than 4 weeks to the must win Aggie game. While a win would be encouraging, it would only be a good start with lots more to prove.
No matter what happens, Dimel got a more than fair shot.

No matter what happens, Dimel got a more than fair shot.
Agree. 4 seasons is enough to prove yourself. If he is right that he has built the program up to where it competes for the division title then UTEP made a good investment. This team only has 10 seniors and most starters can return again next season. So a good team this year should mean an even better team next year. On the other hand if he fails this season then UTEP threw 4 years down the drain.

Agree. 4 seasons is enough to prove yourself. If he is right that he has built the program up to where it competes for the division title then UTEP made a good investment. This team only has 10 seniors and most starters can return again next season. So a good team this year should mean an even better team next year. On the other hand if he fails this season then UTEP threw 4 years down the drain.
And he’ll retire.

Honestly this is the easiest schedule Dimel could hope for. They are playing three schools who didn't play last year: NMSU, Bethune Cookman and ODU. There is no excuse for losing those games. We are probably the only FBS school playing three teams that didn't play last year. That means to get to bowl eligibility all Dimel has to do is go 3-6 vs everyone else. In year four absolutely no excuse for anything less than seven wins. UTSA is the best team on our schedule. I think Boise will be the toughest game because it's on the road. They will be good but not vintage Boise under Petersen. Very managable schedule. You couldn't come up with a better schedule for a coach trying to save his job if you tried. Anything less than six wins should cost Dimel his job. Six wins shouldn't get him an extension, just get him his fifth and final year of his contract.

Honestly this is the easiest schedule Dimel could hope for. They are playing three schools who didn't play last year: NMSU, Bethune Cookman and ODU. There is no excuse for losing those games. We are probably the only FBS school playing three teams that didn't play last year. That means to get to bowl eligibility all Dimel has to do is go 3-6 vs everyone else. In year four absolutely no excuse for anything less than seven wins. UTSA is the best team on our schedule. I think Boise will be the toughest game because it's on the road. They will be good but not vintage Boise under Petersen. Very managable schedule. You couldn't come up with a better schedule for a coach trying to save his job if you tried. Anything less than six wins should cost Dimel his job. Six wins shouldn't get him an extension, just get him his fifth and final year of his contract.
You should apply for the AD job.

Like I've said and will say again UTEP will win a minimum of 5 games. Many of you are basing your predictions on UTEP always disappointing, not the actual talent coming back. I can understand that. However all those who want to bet me $20-$100 lmk I have zelle Venmo and Cash App. The people saying 1-11 aren't paying attention, don't care or are just being silly.
I think UTEP would’ve won five games last season had it not been cut short.

Does Bethune Cookman count toward bowl eligibility ? Aren’t they FCS?

You don’t give him a 5th year without a contract extension. Recruiting will be minimal and very few players will commit to a staff that probably won’t be there next year. You should just fire him if you’re not handing out an extension.

You don’t give him a 5th year without a contract extension. Recruiting will be minimal and very few players will commit to a staff that probably won’t be there next year. You should just fire him if you’re not handing out an extension.
Not like he’s recruiting that well anyway.

Dimel blew it last year, big time. FBS are allowed one FCS win every three years towards eligibility. He was granted two last year because of Covid and cancelled games. He just had to win the final at UNT.

The clock is now set back to pre covid qualifying is my understanding, so a win against BC and 5 FBS opponents is bowl qualifying but not a guarantee.

As I stated to no wins previously, I was surprised he didn't get canned after the UNT loss because UTEP needed even the bottom barrel lowest tier bowl money (proceeds after net expenses if they were to have made a bowl. Every dime mattered). He didn't get fired so here we are; I will give him a chance. He has the best backfield in CUSA and sports media claim the receiving Corp looks good. His UTEP and overall HC tenure coaching history is against him, not for him. NMSU is win on paper this year, and it ends there.

I'm not posting any bulletin board material for BC to read. Frankly, none of us should. NAU kicked our butt (game could have been uglier if not for Hotchkins putting on a one man clinic) and ACU and SFA were hard fought battles under Dimel.

I expect 6 wins but 4 is realistic. Prove me wrong Coach Dimel.

Dimel blew it last year, big time. FBS are allowed one FCS win every three years towards eligibility. He was granted two last year because of Covid and cancelled games. He just had to win the final at UNT.

The clock is now set back to pre covid qualifying is my understanding, so a win against BC and 5 FBS opponents is bowl qualifying but not a guarantee.

As I stated to no wins previously, I was surprised he didn't get canned after the UNT loss because UTEP needed even the bottom barrel lowest tier bowl money (proceeds after net expenses if they were to have made a bowl. Every dime mattered). He didn't get fired so here we are; I will give him a chance. He has the best backfield in CUSA and sports media claim the receiving Corp looks good. His UTEP and overall HC tenure coaching history is against him, not for him. NMSU is win on paper this year, and it ends there.

I'm not posting any bulletin board material for BC to read. Frankly, none of us should. NAU kicked our butt (game could have been uglier if not for Hotchkins putting on a one man clinic) and ACU and SFA were hard fought battles under Dimel.

I expect 6 wins but 4 is realistic. Prove me wrong Coach Dimel.
Thank you for that explanation sir

As per usual 2Step is wrong. It not once every 3 years.

“This week the NCAA Football Oversight Committee recommended a waiver to allow Football Bowl Subdivision teams to count two wins against Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) teams toward bowl eligibility this season.

An uptick from the usual one game that is permitted to count towards bowl eligibility.”

BCU - W
At Boise - L
UNM - L
ODU - W
At USM - L
LaTech - L
At FAU - L
UTSA - W
At UNT - L
Rice - W
At UAB - L

UNM is terrible. If UTEP loses to UNM at home I wonder if they'll win another game all season.

Reactions: utep-piggy
Since we are currently discussing our pre-season predictions, I'll bump this thread.

My prediction of 10-2 was somewhat tongue in cheek and also due to my orange colored glasses. I did expect UTEP to have a winning season but 10 wins is a little overboard. If they make it to 8 wins I will only be 20% off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT