ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Football Spring Game

The UTEP football team finished its spring season with the “Spring Showcase” in front of over 1,000 fans on a clear and cool Friday night in the Sun Bowl.

The Miners ran through multiple drills as “The Voice of the Miners” Jon Teicher and UTEP Head Coach Dana Dimel narrated the action over a wireless microphone on the field.

“We had a nice workout today. We couldn’t have had a more beautiful night for the fans and players,” Dimel said. “We got a lot of work done and it’s fun for fans to get out and see the mechanics of how we work and what we’re trying to get done at practice. I feel like there’s a lot more to watch to this than a spring game. We did a lot of different things and our big thrust was to get the new guys some work. I feel like they all improved a great deal from the reps they got. I feel like they’ll take it in, digest it and take it into the summer and fall camp. I noticed how our older guys have worked at a higher level which was really impressive for me as football coach. It’s important for me to see them take their games to the next level.”

A few of the midyear transfers who have made immediate impacts during the month of March are DB Josiah Allen, WR Kelly Akharaiyi, WR Marcus Bellon, DB Kobe Hylton and DE Maurice Westmoreland.

UTEP is returning a slew of key players from the 7-6 team last season. The Miners are projected to return seven on starters on offense – RB Ronald Awatt, RT Jeremiah Byers, QB Gavin Hardison, RG Elijah Klein, C Andrew Meyer, WR Tyrin Smith and TE Trent Thompson. The defense is also projected to return seven starts – DE Praise Amaewhule, S Dennis Barnes, LB Tyrice Knight, DT Kelton Moss, S Justin Prince, DT Keenan Steward and DE Jadrian Taylor.

The Miners open the 2022 campaign at home against Conference USA foe North Texas on Aug. 27 in the Sun Bowl. It’s the earliest the Miners will start a season in program history, while it’s the first time since 1992 (vs. BYU) that UTEP will commence a new season against a league opponent at home.

UTEP will travel to Oklahoma on Sept. 3 and return home for the Battle of I-10 against NM State on Sept. 10. The Miners will then travel up I-25 to battle New Mexico, and then return home for a Sept. 24 game versus Boise State.

The Miners will continue league play with back-to-back road games at Charlotte (Oct. 1) and at LA Tech (Oct. 8). UTEP will host FAU (Oct. 22) and Middle Tennessee (Oct. 29) before taking the road to Rice (Nov. 5). The final home game will come against FIU (Nov. 19), while the regular season will conclude at UTSA (Nov. 26).

Season tickets are available by visiting www.UTEPMiners.com/tickets, calling (915) 747-UTEP, and at the Eisenberg Family Ticket Office (hours of operation M-F 8am-5pm).

Gallery by Ruben R. Ramirez – El Paso Herald Post

So are they gonna officially release the 915 era commercial? It was pretty dope during the Spring showcase. just wondering.

Point is this, bruh......it doesn't hurt TRYING to sell season tickets to potential fans. Stop being an a hole. I know it's tough.....but TRY
Well apparently there was a work involved.

They may have not been selling tickets to those in line But....

Everyone that purchased an item was entered into a raffle to win a helmet. And everyone that entered the raffle in now on a UTEP season ticket call list

Reactions: denverutep

Rebuilt receiving corps shows out in UTEP Miners football spring showcase​

Bret Bloomquist
El Paso Times

Heading into the rarest of UTEP football springs, one where the Miners are working to build on success with large numbers of returners, they had a dream script at the biggest area of need, receiver.

The hope was that Tyrin Smith would make the leap from No. 3 target to No. 1, transfer Kelly Akharaiyi would be the latest junior college revelation and more names behind them would emerge as depth possibilities.

UTEP's Kelly Akharaiyi (4) at the UTEP Spring Football Showcase on Friday, April 8, 2022, at the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas.'s Kelly Akharaiyi (4) at the UTEP Spring Football Showcase on Friday, April 8, 2022, at the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas.

In the promoted “Spring Showcase” practice that ended the 15 workouts of spring, that dream script looked like it could become a reality.

Smith reeled in a bomb to kickstart the team portion of the workout, Akharaiyi had his typically productive day and the Miners will head to their next offseason confident they have the material to make up for their big losses.

“At times I think they exceeded expectations,” coach Dana Dimel said of his receiving corps. “Some of the guys raised their game to a level that was more than I expected.

“The depth we have at receiver is showing itself.”

That will stand as the biggest takeaway of what UTEP certainly will consider a productive spring. The Miners seemed to settle on a starting group and depth rotation at every position and received big springs from a group of early-arrival junior college transfers.

Looking at the roster I see a new wr, a transfer from Houston and position change. Deshuan Trotter former saftey, is now a wr.

https://utepminers.com/sports/football/roster/jaylen-davis/10305

looking at the roster again. Its always changing.

-Deshaun Trotter is now a CB not a WR he use to be a safety.

2022 (Athlete recruits)
-SAMUEL MIKAELE was listed as a WR during the spring but now he is a TE. I like this move he has TE size.
-AMIER BOYD-MATTHEWS is listed as a corner

i have to agree with Dimel he does have a lot of good depth.

looking at the roster again. Its always changing.

-Deshaun Trotter is now a CB not a WR he use to be a safety.

2022 (Athlete recruits)
-SAMUEL MIKAELE was listed as a WR during the spring but now he is a TE. I like this move he has TE size.
-AMIER BOYD-MATTHEWS is listed as a corner

i have to agree with Dimel he does have a lot of good depth.
Depth is one thing but can they play? Tyrin Smith is a playmaker but is there anyone else on the receiving corps who has proven anything? I don't see anyone. We lost a lot of playmakers from last year in the receiving corps.

Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT