ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Football - Way too Early Predictions

Tribalwarriorx

All Star
Mar 20, 2013
We've been talking about the upcoming season, so I thought it would be a good time to do a way-too early prediction. I generally don't like doing scores, but for the sake of keeping it light hearted, I dropped a few in there. Some games I didn't use a score and just said "Too Close to Call" or TCC.

at Arkansas: 24-20 Ark. I think UTEP makes a good show but their bigs wear our bigs down in the end.
at Texas Tech: 21-16 UTEP's DB's make a case for "No-Fly Zone Best in the Nation" status. Shocker in Lub
at New Mexico State: 27-17 UTEP. Both sides of the ball come together for a complete game.
vs. Incarnate Word: I have no idea what to expect.
vs. UTSA: 31-20 UTEPs Air Raid performance shocks the conference - and sends a message.
at Florida International: TCC - depends on that humidity.
vs. Florida Atlantic: 28-10 UTEP.
at Southern Miss: 31-17 UTEP.
vs. Rice 35-31 Rice: UTEP hasn't beaten them in at least five years. Come close this time.
at Old Dominion: TCC (slug fest last year)
vs. Louisiana Tech: 35-21 UTEP. I think of this game as James Brown's song, "The Big Payback."
at North Texas: 30-13. UTEP.

UTEP can end up 10-2 or 9-3, or?

Reactions: Minerforlife
Im not worried about qb. We are replacing a guy who threw for 1800 yds and 12 tds. Its not hard to replace that production. I will be shocked if the qb this year doesn throw for 2500 yds and 20 tds. We are much better off at qb and reciever than most believe.

I agree with most of tribalwarriorx predictions. I also see us at 3-1 in non conference. Our conference schedule sets up great with Rice and La Tech coming to the Sun Bowl. I think the most difficult game will be at USM, I expect USM to have a big bounce back year. Honestly, after Arkansas there is not a game we shouldnt win. I will say we go 9-3 but 10 wins wouldnt be a suprise.

We've been talking about the upcoming season, so I thought it would be a good time to do a way-too early prediction. I generally don't like doing scores, but for the sake of keeping it light hearted, I dropped a few in there. Some games I didn't use a score and just said "Too Close to Call" or TCC.

at Arkansas: 24-20 Ark. I think UTEP makes a good show but their bigs wear our bigs down in the end.
at Texas Tech: 21-16 UTEP's DB's make a case for "No-Fly Zone Best in the Nation" status. Shocker in Lub
at New Mexico State: 27-17 UTEP. Both sides of the ball come together for a complete game.
vs. Incarnate Word: I have no idea what to expect.
vs. UTSA: 31-20 UTEPs Air Raid performance shocks the conference - and sends a message.
at Florida International: TCC - depends on that humidity.
vs. Florida Atlantic: 28-10 UTEP.
at Southern Miss: 31-17 UTEP.
vs. Rice 35-31 Rice: UTEP hasn't beaten them in at least five years. Come close this time.
at Old Dominion: TCC (slug fest last year)
vs. Louisiana Tech: 35-21 UTEP. I think of this game as James Brown's song, "The Big Payback."
at North Texas: 30-13. UTEP.

UTEP can end up 10-2 or 9-3, or?

Im not worried about qb. We are replacing a guy who threw for 1800 yds and 12 tds. Its not hard to replace that production. I will be shocked if the qb this year doesn throw for 2500 yds and 20 tds. We are much better off at qb and reciever than most believe.

Well he didn't really have the chance to throw for much more since we ran 80% of the time. I'd say that our QB production is largely based on Coach Kug's offensive philosophy this year. His philosophy will probably be based on the new talent he see's at WR.

My guess is we'll still heavily rely on the run all year and focus on clock management.

I will say 8 & 4 with a Bowl win.
The big question is the QB and receivers.

GO Miners...

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how both groups do. I wish they had a warm up game before Arkansas. But Simpson, Metz and Leftwich will be battling this August and we should know more then as to which has been putting in the work.

As far as the WRs go, UTEP has a nice group. Walker was generating lots of raves this spring. Batson, Moss, Juniel, and Golden (out for the spring) and several more should make a great core. I can't see how Kugler goes back to a 90% run game scheme, but you never know!

Well he didn't really have the chance to throw for much more since we ran 80% of the time. I'd say that our QB production is largely based on Coach Kug's offensive philosophy this year. His philosophy will probably be based on the new talent he see's at WR.

My guess is we'll still heavily rely on the run all year and focus on clock management.

Agree, but let's hope not. After all you don't stock that many WRs with no expectation of using them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT