ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP gets 4 star TCU transfer

If you start paying players then you will immediately take a free education away from tens of thousands of kids every year. First, what amount are you going to pay them? Of course it will have to be over the poverty line for each state, so let’s say it’s something small like $24,000 a year. You will be required to pay every athlete equally, so this means that lady volleyball has to get paid the same amount as mens basketball. I believe that UTEP has over 200 student athletes, which at $24,000/each means that UTEP would have to come up with an extra $5 million per year just to pay the new athlete payroll. There is no way that UTEP or any other mid-major school could come up with that extra $5 million every single year. Look at both NMSU and UNM, which have both just dropped more sports because they can’t afford them under the current rules. Now you’re going to start adding a payroll on top of these current expenses that they already can’t afford? If paying players were to ever happen, then almost every mid-major school in the US would immediately start dropping a lot of sports. UTEP would likely be forced to drop all sports except for maybe mens and womens basketball. So say goodbye to our 85 scholarship football team. This means that roughly 180 student athletes at UTEP every year just lost their free education. Then multiply 180 times most of the mid-major schools in the country and you just took away a free education away from tens of thousands of kids every single year.

Oh and now that you are paying these kids, they will have to pay taxes on their income. This means that even though you are paying them $24,000/year, they are only receiving a net of roughly $1,300/month after taxes. So you just took away tens of thousands of kids free educations in exchange so that some kids can make just $1,300/month. Most student athletes already receive that amount anyway through their stipends. Not to mention that some schools in certain states would immediately gain a recruiting advantage over other states, simply depending on if their state has a state income tax or not. For instance a kid coming to UTEP is going to get paid more than a kid going to NMSU, simply because Texas does not have a state income tax taking additional money out of their $24,000, while New Mexico does.

The system is very fair right now. It is up to the athlete to take advantage of it and I will give you an example of this. A couple of years ago, UTEP was recruiting a kid by the name of Caylin Parker. Parker was only a 2 star prospect and according to 247sports, he was ranked as the 3,074 best player in the nation. His only D1 offers were from UTEP, Dartmouth, and Columbia. The Ivy League now has certain ways to get their athletes financial aid scholarships with some recent initiatives and Caylin committed to Dartmouth and he is still playing for them today. In the link below, you will see that cost of an education at Dartmouth is $73,836 per year and that does not even include the free health insurance and professional training that Caylin is receiving by being a student athlete. So Caylin is getting roughly a total value of $80,000 per year, simply in exchange for playing football. This means that in four years, he will leave Dartmouth with a total $320,000 compensation in exchange for playing football. If the 3,074th ranked football player in the nation can work the current system to get $320,000 in compensation just for playing a sport, then I don’t want to hear about how the system is not fair or how athletes are not being compensated properly. Tulane is going to sign a bunch of 2 star athletes this year and the cost of an education at Tulane is $74,806 per year(verified in the link below). Add the free health insurance and professional training on top of that and a bunch of 2 star Tulane athletes are going to be compensated at roughly $80,000 per year under the current system. I read an article about how Harvard basketball is now also finding ways to recruit with the recent changes and they would certainly take a 5 star recruit. If you are a 5 star recruit and you are choosing not to go take a free $75,000/year free education at Harvard, then that is your fault, that is not the systems fault.

https://financialaid.dartmouth.edu/cost-attendance/cost-attendance

https://admission.tulane.edu/tuition-aid/cost

Last edited:
I would suggest you follow an athlete around for a day while they are in season and see how many hours a day they put in towards their sport. When you add film study and time spent in the training room and lifting weights it is staggering. Then add the injuries that they have and play through and you would begin to understand why players want to be paid. Lastly, players scholarships are ONE YEAR deals. This creates the fact that players feel the need to play even when they are not 100% healthy. They hide injuries and play through the pain to insure they will stay on scholarship. Yes they can graduate without student loan debt but being a college athlete is far from the rosy picture that most people see. This is especially true for non major sports and at the D2 level.

No one is FORCING these kids to play... they are getting to follow their dream... of thier dream is to play basketball they are having to put the work in just like if you want to be a chemist .... a friend of mine who did that put an in a huge amount of hours studying and doing things outside of class to get his degree .... all scholarships are one year deals if you don’t hold your end of the bargain up and don’t keep your grades up you lose them... it’s not any different

Reactions: axingfools1
Ya no one is forcing them to play and they are getting a scholarship to play something they love to do. But the NCAA is making hundreds of millions of dollars from these kids. The schools and coaches are making millions from these kids as well. The kids are the ones putting in all the hard work and sacrifices for other people to make a lot of money from them, while they just make pennies compared to what the NCAA, schools, and coaches make from them. The kids deserve a bigger piece of the pie.

Reactions: Stanman915
I would suggest you follow an athlete around for a day while they are in season and see how many hours a day they put in towards their sport. When you add film study and time spent in the training room and lifting weights it is staggering. Then add the injuries that they have and play through and you would begin to understand why players want to be paid. Lastly, players scholarships are ONE YEAR deals. This creates the fact that players feel the need to play even when they are not 100% healthy. They hide injuries and play through the pain to insure they will stay on scholarship. Yes they can graduate without student loan debt but being a college athlete is far from the rosy picture that most people see. This is especially true for non major sports and at the D2 level.
Did you follow Toraino Singleton around? :)(I'm kidding, I'm kidding). Dude was a bad ass at UTEP.

If the players want to get paid to play sports then skip college and try out for a minor league team. Once they realize they won’t be making the big leagues they are left with limited employment options and low salaries.

As oppose to playing college sports earning their degree and having a bright future ahead of them once their sports career ends.

Ya no one is forcing them to play and they are getting a scholarship to play something they love to do. But the NCAA is making hundreds of millions of dollars from these kids. The schools and coaches are making millions from these kids as well. The kids are the ones putting in all the hard work and sacrifices for other people to make a lot of money from them, while they just make pennies compared to what the NCAA, schools, and coaches make from them. The kids deserve a bigger piece of the pie.
While I agree the universities and the NCAA is making a shit ton of money based off the performances of the kids, the kids in turn ARE getting compensated in the form of a free education. Are you saying give the kids free school AND pay them? That's nuts. What was the stat I read a while back? Like 2% of all college athletes go pro. Therefore they are playing the game they love in order to pay for college. If they choose to bolt to pros before finishing their degree, that's on them.
Paying the students would cripple college athletics as the major schools are the ones getting the lion's share of the revenue generated. If we allowed kids to be paid, the big schools would pay them even more than they already do to steal the best talent. It would be so easy to funnel more money to the kids, but schools like UTEP would be screwed.
Amateur student athletes.

Reactions: Rot and axingfools1
How many of you are stating opinions from experience? Are they based off of a limited understanding, or what you think you know?

Do you think a kid who puts in 70-80 hours a week for your entertainment deserves a little extra money to take his girlfriend out to dinner and a movie? Cuz they can’t go get a job. Maybe in the summer.

Some of you say they are doing what they love. A game lasts a few hours 12-14 weeks out of the year. That’s what they love. You think they love watching hours of film, going to 4:45am workouts, a full load of classes, practice, hours of position meetings then offense meetings then whole team meetings, mandatory study hall to top it off? And that’s not even all of it.

I used to think an education was compensation enough. Then we experienced it. I am eternally grateful to the two universities who provided my son with the opportunity and experience, however most people are largely unaware of the demands placed on the athlete.

My son was fortunate in that we could send him an extra few hundred bucks a month. Many, maybe even most, of his teammates didn’t have that luxury. All those things I pointed out above are not to invite sympathy from you towards college athletes BUT they are the reality. They are not exaggerations...at least as far as football goes.

My son has graduated, so it’s not even about him, but an increase in stipend should not be out of the question. And perhaps it should be based upon time put in, because not all sports are equally demanding. A kid should be able to afford to go blow off some steam at the bowling alley or TopGolf, or wherever, on occasion. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
And how does this compare to other businesses? Its all relative. There are too many road blocks and detriments to paying players. I think a small stipend is sufficient since the kids can't work like most other students. If players only care about making 'money', and they are good enough, then they should go pro overseas or try the G-league. They can always go back to school if things don't work out.

A student athlete at UTEP is already receiving nearly a $300/monthly payment from their Cost of Attendance Stipend per the article below. An athlete at Texas A&M is already getting an extra $525 per month. So they already have all of their food and housing and tuition and books and medical insurance paid for, plus they get an extra $525 per month payment on top of that. I played one year at a D2 school and we got no stipend payment. I then spent 1 1/2 years of my college years working the grave yard shift and then going to school early in the mornings when I would get off of work. I know that there were some months when I did not have an extra $300 or $525 left over after paying my rent, tuition, books, and all of my expenses. I would not be opposed to raising the stipend payment a little bit higher, but there is a current compensation structure for student athletes that almost every other college student would love to have.

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/...st-of-attendance-stipends-paying-13132632.php

This doesn't apply to UTEP, because they don't have much of a selection of uniforms of players, but what about schools that sell stuff with a kids number or name on it. That stuff is only in demand because the player is good. In those cases the kids should get 1/2 of the money from the sale of merchandise. That money should be put into a trust for the player until he/she graduates or signs a professional contract.

Reactions: Dmanminer
This doesn't apply to UTEP, because they don't have much of a selection of uniforms of players, but what about schools that sell stuff with a kids number or name on it. That stuff is only in demand because the player is good. In those cases the kids should get 1/2 of the money from the sale of merchandise. That money should be put into a trust for the player until he/she graduates or signs a professional contract.

I guess, but what would stop a rich OU Booster club from promising to buy $1 million dollars worth of jereys for any 5 star recruit that signs with them, which would promise a $500,000 pay day to that athlete. Then Ohio State wants that same 5 star receuit, so their Booster Club raises funds and promises a $2 million dollar jeresy purchase($1 million pay day to the player). Now you have a problem as schools are competing with higher payments for players during recruiting wars.

Reactions: Rot and UTEPfan1966
Anyone else have that slight worry in the back of thier minds we are building up this incoming class too much and they won’t be able to meet our expectations? I am honestly thinking it will be two years until we get what we want.... a big thing in my opinion will be just how good these can shoot.....

From what I see really like the idea villa can shoot the 3 !!
Soooo many possible lineups .... ahhhh can’t next season get here already?

Reactions: MINER.JAY
It’s tough to stay who leaves, but I don’t know if anyone’s spot is safe but I may say Efe and Eze need to stay just because bigs don’t grow on trees and another year will benefit both greatly. Laython and Hawkins are young and should improve as well. So I may take a wild guess and say Gillyard and Kobe are goners, just because they’re Floyd guys. But that’s just me.
That’s what I think.

What's this talk about Gilyard leaving? He's our leading scorer, a scoring machine. He's a starter and he's going to be a starter next year. He was brought in by Floyd, but Terry is definitely using him. Why would he want to leave?
To me, ever since we received the news about Archie, Gilyard hasn’t played as well, missed a whole half due to disciplinary issue, and has been on the bench during crunch times during games.

To me it wouldn’t make sense for gilyard to be forced out he is one of our better players.... he just be added to the incoming not subtracted— he would thrive in a 6 man role

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT