ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP is a BIG step for Joe Golding

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
If ACU doesnt beat Texas does he get the UTEP job?? He got 1 big win and got the UTEP job.

ACU hasnt had any other big wins since beating Texas. If that big man doesnt make those free throws for ACU Joe Golding isnt the head coach at UTEP.

but now that he is.

Where is he going to recruit?? Where does he get his players?? He now has to recruit high end players not players that play at the Southland Conference.

no matter what you guys think of Floyd and Terry but they recruited high major players.

It will be interesting how Joe does it..

First off I am always for up n' comer's. On the football side of UTEP this has been a thorn. Now I did sign the "Hire Mike Price" petition on here that Nineteenrabbit started after 02 season and still have no regrets but that is in the history vault.

There was postings on here about his assistant was the brains of his defense. Umm, isn't that what a head coach is supposed to do? Get solid assistants around them?

Second, that win over UT on a national stage did help get him the job, it shined a light on his resume.

Floyd rolled the dice on risky recruits and it blew up in his face and come mid to late February to March he couldn't win when need be. Terry rolled the dice on transfers and did not develop high school recruits. Plus, he had good talent but there was infighting. Covid year three brought new really good faces but helter/skelter play. He kept covid at bay like a top 25 coach but lost to a bad USM team, twice, and an embarrassing loss to Rice on UTEP's floor. So yes, Terry had good talent in Y3 and it showed up at Kansas, but he couldn't keep it together to hold on.

There is some "lightning in a bottle" for Golding hire but all we have is his history and development of players and I favor it. He has some of Terry's players staying and they are good players so that is a good sign.

Reactions: Prospero915
First off I am always for up n' comer's. On the football side of UTEP this has been a thorn. Now I did sign the "Hire Mike Price" petition on here that Nineteenrabbit started after 02 season and still have no regrets but that is in the history vault.

There was postings on here about his assistant was the brains of his defense. Umm, isn't that what a head coach is supposed to do? Get solid assistants around them?

Second, that win over UT on a national stage did help get him the job, it shined a light on his resume.

Floyd rolled the dice on risky recruits and it blew up in his face and come mid to late February to March he couldn't win when need be. Terry rolled the dice on transfers and did not develop high school recruits. Plus, he had good talent but there was infighting. Covid year three brought new really good faces but helter/skelter play. He kept covid at bay like a top 25 coach but lost to a bad USM team, twice, and an embarrassing loss to Rice on UTEP's floor. So yes, Terry had good talent in Y3 and it showed up at Kansas, but he couldn't keep it together to hold on.

There is some "lightning in a bottle" for Golding hire but all we have is his history and development of players and I favor it. He has some of Terry's players staying and they are good players so that is a good sign.

To be honest Terrys resume is better than Goldings . Golding is still young in this coaching business. I looked at Goldings history and its not that impressive. He doesnt even have mentor to get help from. Barbee had coach Cal, Billie Gillespie had Self, Terry had his Texas connections. Golding wasnt a hot asst from a major college and i dont even know how he got the job at ACU?? Utep is not going to give him 5 years or 6 years like ACU gave him. He looks like a cool guy but the Texas win helped him get this job.

Golding will need to hire an experience assistant. Maybe he should give Tim Hardaway a call??

Reactions: utep2step
Or bring in Doc. Find a way to pay him. Doc was demoted to special assistant to the coach... that could be a helluva team, but maybe not. Should we be worried, on the lack of Noise on any recruiting?

well looking at his twitter

Kimani Young and Brain Burton is following him. Idk if Burton was following him before he got the job?? So maybe he is staying?? Kimani young as and assistant would be good. I dont think he was following him before.

Reactions: shyminer81
i was trying to see if any players was following him but i dont see anyone..

I’m sure he is setting up his staff and working on recruiting. Stay calm Fili. I have a good feeling about this hire. Wanted Tang but he was a 1B. Utep is going to come out a winner with Golding. As for has recruiting from Floyd and Terry does it do any good if you are not going to or unable to coach them to higher levels.

Reactions: kickballpro
I’m sure he is setting up his staff and working on recruiting. Stay calm Fili. I have a good feeling about this hire. Wanted Tang but he was a 1B. Utep is going to come out a winner with Golding. As for has recruiting from Floyd and Terry does it do any good if you are not going to or unable to coach them to higher levels.

I dont have problem with the hire. I didn't have a problem with Floyd or Terry. Floyd did win here but it wasnt enough . This Utep job for some reason is a very high pressure job. People here want a winner right away. There is no patience here. CUSA is a very tough conference to win.

Goldhing has his work cut out for him. If he doesn't win right away people will turn on him quick.

To be honest Terrys resume is better than Goldings . Golding is still young in this coaching business. I looked at Goldings history and its not that impressive. He doesnt even have mentor to get help from. Barbee had coach Cal, Billie Gillespie had Self, Terry had his Texas connections. Golding wasnt a hot asst from a major college and i dont even know how he got the job at ACU?? Utep is not going to give him 5 years or 6 years like ACU gave him. He looks like a cool guy but the Texas win helped him get this job.

Golding will need to hire an experience assistant. Maybe he should give Tim Hardaway a call??
I hear your points.

I am weighing heavily on the current players. The critical components are staying. Parents are behind Golding and you can't bullshat players' parents/family. Verhoeven has made soooooo much improvement, I pray he comes back.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about Golding struggling at this level. Some coaches all they need is an opportunity to prove themselves. Sometimes it's not always an easy road to D1. Beard was the HC of a semi pro team in South Carolina where he also participated in the half time shows. He would literally take his coaching suit off and throw on those inflatable sumo wrestling suits on. They grind.

If you look at Golding's record after leading the program from d2 to d1 and once the probation period ended he's 87-39. 2020 didn't have a post season or else there's a good chance he would have made four straight post seasons.

If you listened to sportstalk when they had Kevin Sweeney on, he mentioned that Golding was being looked at for other D1 jobs before they beat Texas. Clearly, this guy had a good reputation even before that big win. If they don't beat Texas, maybe he doesn't get the UTEP job but he definitely would've been hired by another higher mid major. Sure, he has his work cutout for him, but he's a guy coaches will want to work for and players want to play for. Also, I trust Billy G and other D1 coaches who are raving about this hire. If he had the attention of these D1 coaches before the Texas win, then I think we got a good one.

I just think we are gonna have another opening in three - four years as he jumps ship to a power 5 team .... it’s aooo frustrating we are a stepping stone... some say it’s ok but it’s far from ok... can’t build consistency that way at all but I might be getting a bit ahead of myself....

I just think we are gonna have another opening in three - four years as he jumps ship to a power 5 team .... it’s aooo frustrating we are a stepping stone... some say it’s ok but it’s far from ok... can’t build consistency that way at all but I might be getting a bit ahead of myself....

I hope so. That would mean we won.

Being great for a year or 2 is underrated.

Dimel looks willing to stay here? I'm kidding.

There is no reason why UTEP athletics can't use winning as a springboard. We could of done with Price and Barbee, but Stull let Price's shine wear off and he messed up by letting Barbee go and/or following Barbee with Floyd (even though most of us thought it was a great hire at the time).

I agree with Kickballpro that we just need a few good seasons to feel the winning again and get people back involved. If Golding can do that then likely he will move on, but then UTEP must take the next jump and springboard that success with the new coach.

There is no reason why UTEP athletics can't use winning as a springboard. We could of done with Price and Barbee, but Stull let Price's shine wear off and he messed up by letting Barbee go and/or following Barbee with Floyd (even though most of us thought it was a great hire at the time).

I agree with Kickballpro that we just need a few good seasons to feel the winning again and get people back involved. If Golding can do that then likely he will move on, but then UTEP must take the next jump and springboard that success with the new coach.

I doubt it would happen here but it would be nice to find another Mark Few. That would take money, of course, but maybe not as much as some might think. Few has been at Gonzaga 20 years and still makes under 2mm per year. Calipari at Kentucky makes 9mm. What did Beard get at UT, 5mm?

Can UTEP get to where it can pay 1.5 - 2mm for a basketball coach?

Where is he going to recruit?? Where does he get his players?? He now has to recruit high end players not players that play at the Southland Conference.
As long as he recruits the types of players who can beat Texas, I don't really care.

I’ll take him for 4 years if it means some true success (big dance) many programs lose coaches, especially at this level. The alternative has been, still losing coaches and not doing a dang thing in post season... Let’s just enjoy it, and hope he has success.

If we consistently act as a spring board for P5 schools to get a coach from, then we will consistently get hot shot, up and coming coaches through our door. If we are a coaching fine tuning shop, then recruits and coaches will want to come here. That streak of Gillespie, Saddler, and Barbee in 8 years; with 2 conference titles, 3 tournament appearances, 160-102, all poached by P5 schools is pretty respectable. I would have like to kept the streak going but Floyd really set us back, even with a winning record.

As long as he recruits the types of players who can beat Texas, I don't really care.

I remember reading that that Brad Stevens did not recruit 1 and done players, or 5 star prospects at Butler. He looked for winners, players that were part of state championship winning teams, and had a team mentality. Those are the players UTEP needs. I know Boise St. had that same recruiting philosophy when their program started skyrocketing up the ranks, and left us behind. They recruited heavily out of California, but not the kids every P5 school was drooling over.

I know those kids are tough to find, but Taurean Prince and Marcus Keene are some players a lot of scouts overlooked, but they had incredible work ethic and had success at the NCAA level, and in Prince's case made it all the way to the NBA.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Spriggs has only been with Golding this past season. Has a JC history though.

Last edited:
He says he's going to get it done. I kind of cringe when I hear stuff like this.

Why? That’s what he was hired to do. Do you want him to say it’s impossible to resurrect this program?
Floyd and Terry. I personally don't remember them saying those words but Terry said he would bring in Big XII talent and there was Ode's of Joy and return to top 25 and beyond by former Miner greats when Floyd was hired.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I met Terry when he first came, and he said be patient this will take time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT