ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Men’s Hoops to Host Our Lady of the Lake Dec. 28

MistaBinks

MI VIP
Jan 13, 2008
El Paso, Texas
The UTEP men’s basketball program announced it will host Our Lady of the Lake on Monday, Dec. 28 to finalize the nonconference slate. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. in the Haskins Center.

A determination on whether fans will be permitted at the game will be made at a later date. The Miners and Saints can be heard on 600 ESPN El Paso with “The Voice of the Miners” Jon Teicher calling the action. The contest will also be streamed on CUSA.tv.

Following its final tune up, UTEP will open Conference USA action at Southern Miss on Jan. 1 & 2, while its conference home opener will be on Jan. 8 & 9 against Rice.

OLLU is 1-1 after defeating Texas State, 61-58, on Dec. 12. The Saints fell in their season opener to Incarnate Word, 84-71, on Nov. 29. Our Lady of the Lake has also played three exhibition games against quality Division I opponents. The Saints fell to C-USA program Rice, 103-64, on Nov. 28, while losing to UTRGV, 91-68, on Dec. 4, and New Mexico, 104-65, on Dec. 15.

The Saints have a trio of El Paso players on their roster. Colby Borak (Franklin HS), Elijah Davis (Pebble Hills HS) and Diego Torres (Socorro HS) are on the reserve roster for head coach Chris Dial.

I went to look up the EP kids on the school's website and noticed that the school has 37 guys on their roster, why? They are an NAIA school. It surprised me to see that they played Incarnate Word and Texas State close this year

It’s fair to say no D1 school wants to visit El Paso because of the Covid issues. If we can’t get a decent road game I would prefer we skip these types of games. How much does it costs to pad up Terry’s resume?

It’s fair to say no D1 school wants to visit El Paso because of the Covid issues. If we can’t get a decent road game I would prefer we skip these types of games. How much does it costs to pad up Terry’s resume?
Honestly sounds more like Terry and Senter are dodging NMSU and that is super WEAK.

There should be no excuse not to play NMSU twice, once here and once in Arizona where ever NMSU is posting shop this season.

If this team doesn't play NMSU and gets waxed in CUSA play and in the CUSA tourney, Senter should be shown the door ASAP. The hell does playing OLLU help a team with actual talent????

We were already in Arizona twice why not have stayed an extra day or two and played nmsu? It’s not like either of us are doing anything better.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
“Well, New Mexico State’s been shut down twice, so I don’t know how you play them,” UTEP coach Rodney Terry told KTSM Sports in El Paso. “… There was a lot of conversation and dialogue about that, but there’s always been an open invitation to come here (to El Paso) and play here.”

I hate to say it but it does look like we were scared to play them

Not at all. They were invited to come play in El Paso.

They paused their program twice.

Jans said. “I don’t have a feel for exactly the importance for other programs, and I don’t like to talk about those type of matters. But this pause has certainly made it more difficult, because everybody’s got to do their thing, you know? Everybody’s gotta schedule their games and you can’t sit back and wait and hold dates going, ‘Well, if they get off pause, we can play it here.’ You can’t work like that. And then conference play, obviously, is beginning, so it’s more difficult.”

This falls on nmsu.

I agree pretty hard to schedule a team that is on and off. Glad this Covid thing is like 4 months away from being over.

Not at all. They were invited to come play in El Paso.

They paused their program twice.

Jans said. “I don’t have a feel for exactly the importance for other programs, and I don’t like to talk about those type of matters. But this pause has certainly made it more difficult, because everybody’s got to do their thing, you know? Everybody’s gotta schedule their games and you can’t sit back and wait and hold dates going, ‘Well, if they get off pause, we can play it here.’ You can’t work like that. And then conference play, obviously, is beginning, so it’s more difficult.”

This falls on nmsu.
I am surprised the NM Governor hasn't shut down NMSUBB for the remainder of the year. They were supposed to be in a lock down bubble venue.

I thing NMSU just came off of quarantine a day or 2 before we scheduled our lady of Mother Teresa Arizona for tomorrow. They could have come here this weekend or before CUSA started. I suspect they will be playing some cupcakes too because of all the pauses.

I thing NMSU just came off of quarantine a day or 2 before we scheduled our lady of Mother Teresa Arizona for tomorrow. They could have come here this weekend or before CUSA started. I suspect they will be playing some cupcakes too because of all the pauses.

That game was in the works long before it was announced.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT