ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP must add Men's Soccer...

There was also a senior high school game...El Paso vs Texas high school all star game, that game ended 9-0.. Who do you think won?

Like 3 years ago I went to a HS state final in Georgetown. It was between San Eli vs Midlothian. San Eli had as many fans as the other school did. Both sides were almost full.

It felt so good to beat that rich snotty team.

Reactions: Randaddy Miner
More than track and field or cross country. Easy over 2k
Track and field brings in International students. A men’s soccer team would just give scholarships to local players who have no pro soccer dream. Outside of a few players, a college soccer players beat hope is becoming a bench guy in MLS. Which they still could get while working a real job, playing in USL 1 as a teenager or some other low level league.

Track and field brings in International students. A men’s soccer team would just give scholarships to local players who have no pro soccer dream. Outside of a few players, a college soccer players beat hope is becoming a bench guy in MLS. Which they still could get while working a real job, playing in USL 1 as a teenager or some other low level league.
Not arguing that. That is why I said that UTEP missed the boat when it came to soccer. Nobody cares about NCAA soccer now.... 35 years ago, though, universities from several countries would play soccer in El Paso. And it still wasn't a big thing.

Is it? 16 home home games x the current average of 6,172 = 98,752 total attendance. (Not including playoff games)

UTEP has 6 home games and would need to average the pathetic attendance of 16,458 per game to match Locomotive.

They'll need crowds of at least 20k over the next 2 home games to catch up. Even larger crowds if Locomotive goes on a playoff run.
It's a good bet that a UTEP men's soccer team would only bring in 1000 fans maximum per game since the soccer field on campus has a capacity of 1000.

Reactions: kickballpro
It's a good bet that a UTEP men's soccer team would only bring in 1000 fans maximum per game since the soccer field on campus has a capacity of 1000.
I think the idea by those proposing to dump football in favor of men's soccer is to play in the Sun Bowl, thinking they'll outdraw what football is currently bringing in now. :rolleyes: 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Cube Jack
That's true.

I'm neutral in this discussion. I only injected myself to correct the statement that UTEP has higher attendance than Locomotive.

They don't.

In 2019 Locomotive drew 111,930
UTEP had 102,558

We'll skip 2020 cuz of Covid and only two home games for UTEP.

In 2021 Locomotive has 86,412
UTEP is at 59,116

We'll revist and update the number when the season is complete.

Since Locomotive started playing, UTEP has been unable to outdraw them.

I think the idea by those proposing to dump football in favor of men's soccer is to play in the Sun Bowl, thinking they'll outdraw what football is currently bringing in now. :rolleyes: 😂
Literally, no one has proposed that.

You can actually put a team together with the second tier of local players and win the NCAA soccer championship
That is exactly why we don't need to add a mens soccer team. NCAA mens soccer sucks and nobody gives a sh** about it. UTEP can win 10 championships and it would put us in to better position to join another desirable conference and get us out of CUSA. UTEP needs to get consistently good at the sports teams they already have before they add more teams. So what money pit woman's sports are we going to add to comply with Title 9?

I recently attended a Longhorns, men's soccer game. They have a club team, so no scholarships, no existing budget. They fill in their schedule with games against UPSL teams. I see more people attending CYO soccer games than the amount of people I saw in Austin. I would consider Austin a soccer savvy, passionate city, and with free admission there were more people on the sidelines cheering for the visiting team than the Longhorns. The ref was late to the game!

Really good soccer players with the talent to play pro, never make it to the college level. They are snatched up by academies long before.

Hmmm... the Sul Ross mens soccer team is loaded with former high school players from El Paso. They're currently 3-7 on a 7 game losing streak.
Ummm if they are going to Sul Ross to play soccer, they aren't even second tier players. Lets put it this way.... The UTEP club team would dominate Sul Ross. UTEP missed the boat when it comes to soccer. The local players aren't gonna play NCAA anymore. NCAA division 1 soccer is pretty much 5th division of soccer in the US.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT