ADVERTISEMENT

Utep needs new game announcers.

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Teicher and other guy are annoying. How about having some former players do them. For football how about Q.Demps and lee mays.

Basketball
Antonio Davis and cj cooper??

Or just have some younger people do the games. It just seems that teicher and other dont like each other. Does anyone else get that???

Teicher is knowledgeable, but a dick. If they’re going to keep him longer, they might as well just let him do the games alone, because he doesn’t partner with another announcer.

Reactions: miner1liner
UTEP's older supporters love him and he has an agent that is good, really good. When Bob Stull first got here he literally cleaned house as this is of historical record. No one was safe, rumors inside said not even Teicher. He survived. Folks inside the AD were floored. Not only he survived, he got a renegotiated brand new contract. I shat you not. No sense sending a FOIA to Senter, that thing is probably buried deed in crap on a Stull's CD buried in his closet next to his old golf clubs.

Now I will say Teicher is not as "rah! rah!" on the radio for opponents as he used to be. I am for respecting the opponent as the next guy but sometimes I thought I was listening to their play by play guy.

In conclusion, this is brought up every year. Let it be. The sports media in El Paso is very, very fraternal and very loyal to each other (as is national level). Continuous public calling them out will get a very strong rebuke. Upside, El Paso market is growing and sports media coverage is getting very competitive so that means more new faces and networking of this sub market.

The reality is that Teischer is entrenched at UTEP until he retires. I can take his style. Yellen can be good when he's on his game but he bounces off the walls when he's not. But UTEP can still bring in some fresh voices to groom to take over when Teisch and Yellen do retire.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Yellen and his wife do a ton of good civic work for El Paso and are good souls. I will say that. Lastly, he would take a bullet for UTEP, Teicher would negotiate with the assailant.

I agree. I met Yellen through a mutual friend. He’s a good guy. We talked Miner bb without taking a breath for over an hour. He’s actually more knowledgeable than he appears during the broadcast...considering some of the outlandish things he says. I still poke fun at how over zealous he gets during games, though.

being an ex-player does not make you a good broadcaster. This is especially true in calling play by play in basketball because of the pace of the game. You have to be able to keep up. This is why the ex-players are usually the color analyst rather than the play-by-play. On top of that, a lot of people aren't ready for the schedule of going out of town constantly for months. do any of those guys even live in El Paso?

Reactions: Lil_Train
Interesting topic to me and I've had opinions for many, many years. I think I posted my sentiments previously, but here goes again.
1. I think Teich is a top caliber announcer in both FB and BB and we are lucky to have him. He is knowledgeable in both sports and is unbiased in his comments and opinions. He doesn't hesitate to share his emotions whether they be highs or lows.
2. My personal opinion of him is quite the opposite. I have had opportunities to engage him over the years and was only glared at like I had poisoned his dog. He truly had to be the rudest person I have ever encountered. I have since just looked the other way.
3. Yellen is a genuine unaffected guy who drives me and I guess almost everyone crazy. He is blind to anything sub par about performances by any Miner player or coach while he shows ultimate rah rah emotions at what sometimes seem to be a mediocre
performance. I get embarrassed for him when he carries on like that, but last night I thoroughly enjoyed his hyper reaction to the dramatic conclusion of the miracle.

being an ex-player does not make you a good broadcaster. This is especially true in calling play by play in basketball because of the pace of the game. You have to be able to keep up. This is why the ex-players are usually the color analyst rather than the play-by-play. On top of that, a lot of people aren't ready for the schedule of going out of town constantly for months. do any of those guys even live in El Paso?

All other schools have ex players calling games. It only makes sense. It doesnt make sense that tiecher and yellen do football and basketball. I just think Utep needs to go younger.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Teicher is one of the best in the business but as stated before, not a personable guy. My guess is he's hard to get along with. Yellen is a good dude but I am not a fan of his style. It's too over the top upbeat. Its superfan like.

I would like to Teich with Coach Price in the football booth. Or a former player like Trevor Vittatoe.

Teicher is one of the best in the business but as stated before, not a personable guy. My guess is he's hard to get along with. Yellen is a good dude but I am not a fan of his style. It's too over the top upbeat. Its superfan like.

I would like to Teich with Coach Price in the football booth. Or a former player like Trevor Vittatoe.

Price would be a good get for FB games.

Reactions: miner1liner
Could we get two sets of announcers, one for football and one for basketball? Just brainstorming. Didn't Coach Price call a Sun Bowl game for a radio network a while back?

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Weird. I've known Jon Teicher for 25 years and always found him to be a really easy guy to talk to even when I was a student myself. I guess everyone has their days though. Enough people out there will probably tell you I'm a major jerk too

Teich is a great play by play announcer. When I watch a game and listen to his commentary, he's right there with every detail. I think he's one of the best in the league.
I agree with the rest of you about Yellen, but Teich can endure him. When Fred Reynolds did color, it was painful to listen to. Teich can't endure those he thinks are fools.

Yellen played for UTEP in the late 70s. He did not play much until his senior year if I remember correctly.

I think Yellen barely ever got off the bench, if I remember correctly. The big plus to having him is his ability to be available for every game, home or away. Isn't he an insurance agent or something? I agree with rest of you guys, he's very annoying.

For football, I think the perfect sidekick would be Ed Stansbury. He played football at Irvin and UCLA. Has made El Paso his home and does a lot of work with KTSM.

Reactions: FiliUTEP
Yellen averaged 6 minutes per game his senior year (80-81), however his most productive years were his soph and junior years where he averaged 2.5 points/game.

Eh, what difference does it make? It's J.B.'s (no relation to the former topless bar in east central EP) for the next few years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT