ADVERTISEMENT

Utep Observations and Some Advice

MinerMambo

Starter
Sep 19, 2001
I am a long-term Miner fan and I get a lot of my information from this site and other online sources. The newspaper simply does not cut it anymore.

As for the football game yesterday, what gets under my skin are the inexcusables. The special teams penalty was probably Natkin's fault, but ultimately, this is Kugler's team. It seems like every game there are one or two inexcusables. This goes to coaching.

As for basketball (I watched football and basketball), if Artis is ineligible then it is hard to imagine a successful season. A declaration of ineligibility would also be inexcusable. I hope it all comes together, but as of now, I am very concerned. Bill Knight gently treated this as a side note in today's paper, but I think it is a major deal.

As for the advice, my experience on this board has been so much better since I have "ignored" the trolls. To do so, simply sign in and click on the troll's graphic and then click on the ignore tab. Some people, I actually feel sorry for them, get off from being obnoxiously contrarian.

Go Miners!

Last edited:
I am a long-term Miner fan and I get a lot of my information from this site and other online sources. The newspaper simply does not cut it anymore.

As for the football game yesterday, what gets under my skin are the inexcusables. The special teams penalty was probably Natkin's fault, but ultimately, this is Kugler's team. It seems like every game there are one or two inexcusables. This goes to coaching.

As for basketball (I watched football and basketball), if Artis is ineligible then it is hard to imagine a successful season. A declaration of ineligibility would also be inexcusable. I hope it all comes together, but as of now, I am very concerned. Bill Knight gently treated this as a side note in today's paper, but I think it is a major deal.

As for the advice, my experience on this board has been so much better since I have "ignored" the trolls. To do so, simply sign in and click on the troll's graphic and then click on the ignore tab. Some people, I actually feel sorry for them, get off from being obnoxiously contrarian.

Go Miners!
Good post! Regarding football, I realize you only mentioned the special teams, but I did get from that statement there are other inexcusables. Correct? On basketball, I agree that if Artis is ineligible that does unfortunately change things. Based on the statements I've read, it does appear to be a minor technicality, but we'll see. I put the two (or one) troll(s) on ignore and I will say it again, things are much better. They will never stop with their ignorant comments, so I'd rather ignore them.

Three things doomed us in the football game. The last 38 seconds of the second quarter when we missed the field goal and gave up a quick td completely flipped momentum. The penalty for too many men on the field on the punt gave usm new life and they scored a td. On offense we had several drops including a few that would have been tds. Once again we left about 130 of offense yds on the field because of drops.

As for basketball, I thinks its way to early to even attempt to gauge how good the team is. I do think they will struggle on the boards. I think the expectations are a little high. The Artis situation os dostressing because its the middle of the semester and he hasnt been declared eligible.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
The football game went as I expected, this team for whatever reason seems to have too many miscues, lost opportunities etc. to win on a consistent basis and coaching is a part of this situation. I will give football a mulligan this year as injury issues and a stupid schedule which prevented us from getting any momentum for the season. (schedule 5 home, 7 road games and first 3 on the road as we did this year). As for basketball as a observing fan I have to conclude every year we encounter some kind of turmoil with the team we have issues in the program which are much deeper the just a run of "BAD LUCK". If we go through this season once again with a patchwork of players, academic issues, disgruntled players and suspensions and play down to weak competition as we did yesterday and as we have done many times the past five seasons, coaches and the management of our athletic programs need to be highly scrutinized. This is not about winning and losing a football or basketball game but as overall athletic program we seem to be "spinning" more than accomplishing or making progress.

Not worried about Artis situation, yet. No way in heck football should get a pass for this year. Nord and Price had injuries by their third year but they got no pass for that. I'll never forget the meltdown fans had during Price's third year....and he had UTEP in the conference hunt late in the season but had a devastating loss to give Kragthorpe's Tulsa team the western conference crown.

Reactions: Firstdowndash
Not worried about Artis situation, yet. No way in heck football should get a pass for this year. Nord and Price had injuries by their third year but they got no pass for that. I'll never forget the meltdown fans had during Price's third year....and he had UTEP in the conference hunt late in the season but had a devastating loss to give Kragthorpe's Tulsa team the western conference crown.

We were 5-7 in price's third year. We ended the season by being crushed at home by a 1-10 Memphis team. We were not in contention for a conference title. The injuries are not an excuse. Even if Jones could have miraculously stayed healthy the entire season our record would be the same. There is no reason we shouldnt finish this season 6-6. With declining attendance next year is make or break for Kugler.

It would be nice if we actually heard anything on Artis. They thought this would be cleared up before the game yesterday afternoon. And now it's 24 hours later and still nothing. That's what concerning, at least for me.

Wow - a thread with some intelligent posts and good points...novel (the troll(s) may be around but I'd never know it).

The local media knows not to push UTEP too hard for information or they'll get the silent treatment - just ask Darren Hunt. I agree with STex that Artis story is huge but is getting scant attention. With Artis this is potentially a top 2 CUSA team that may be on the bubble - without Artis, we're middle of the league.

Reactions: mikesarabia
I am shocked Golden has been such a non factor this season. Too many small things, led to their demise last night. For basketball, I too hope Artis is eligible, nobody comes close to what he will bring. Without him, it should be a decent season. If he can play, then it will have the potential for special. I really liked Moore. Fair to say, he could be better than Hunter? I also think Thomas will be a stud in the future. Vint looks stronger.

Golden doesn't seem to have the explosive speed he demonstrated last year. His play is also a victim of our offensive line, which although not playing really bad is not performing as expected. Our QB and backs at times have little or no place to run. But like yesterdays game stats show, we are not giving up many sacks or holding calls. Golden has great speed but he takes time to accelerate and a line needs to give him room to do that. This year is really strange in one play we look like a power team which could dominate and then the next we look way overmatched. The inconsistence of this team is what is frustrating about this year. I would not be surprised if we beat Rice or lose to them by fifty.

Wow - a thread with some intelligent posts and good points...novel (the troll(s) may be around but I'd never know it).

The local media knows not to push UTEP too hard for information or they'll get the silent treatment - just ask Darren Hunt. I agree with STex that Artis story is huge but is getting scant attention. With Artis this is potentially a top 2 CUSA team that may be on the bubble - without Artis, we're middle of the league.
Top 2 CUSA team based on what? ?? Artist ...A guy who averaged 6 points at Oregon. Let's see the guy play first before we hype him up. Old Dominion and UAB will be the top 2 teams.

Hunter would have benefitted tremendously from playing with a guy like Artis.

"Ignored Member", Sorry, something must be wrong...I can't see your post.

Reactions: mikesarabia
"The injuries are not an excuse. Even if Jones could have miraculously stayed healthy the entire season our record would be the same"
I don't buy this, injury to star players, team leaders greatly effect teams ability to win and lose. Jone's injury hurt this team in may ways not just as a tailback, he was a core component of the team, it's leader. We all like to believe that coaching a team and winning is just the assembly of talented components, all fine tuned by a coach who prepares and plans for every contingency (insert tab A into slot A). It just is not that simple. Players are people and they contribute (or detract in some cases) in ways that no coach or fan can begin to comprehend or predict. I think the Joneses bring more to this team than we know, he and his brother are full of heart and their play is inspirational , you can't say his loss this season should not effect the team, it did as their play clearly shows. We can blame coach for all of this of course, because he is the head coach and that comes with being head coach, however if we are going place blame for all this teams misfortunes as you said no excuses, we must also give him entire credit when it goes right because there are no excuses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT