ADVERTISEMENT

Utep only team in Texas

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
to win a NCAA Championship in Texas

is that really a big deal?? Are UTEP fans the only ones that bring that up??

Reactions: FarWestTexas

I know some pretty hardcore cbb fans, and not a single one of them was aware of that fact until I mention it. Same with people I did a bracket with at work. Nobody is aware of that fact...or very few are anyway.

Everybody gives me that quizzical look. You can tell they go through the catalogue of memory, squinty eyes and furrowed brow, and then nod with a hmm. I also have to remind people what was Texas Western is now UTEP.

Reactions: develman

No. Nobody cares. 55 years ago. Nobody cares who won the Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, or NBA Finals in 1966 either.

Baylor, A&M, TCU, Houston, and Texas fans don’t care that we won either.

It’s a great accomplishment and nice story. Will never happen here again.

Reactions: FedupMiner
No. Nobody cares. 55 years ago. Nobody cares who won the Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, or NBA Finals in 1966 either.

Baylor, A&M, TCU, Houston, and Texas fans don’t care that we won either.

It’s a great accomplishment and nice story. Will never happen here again.

Will NMSU ever win a NCAA tourney game again??

I know some pretty hardcore cbb fans, and not a single one of them was aware of that fact until I mention it. Same with people I did a bracket with at work. Nobody is aware of that fact...or very few are anyway.

Everybody gives me that quizzical look. You can tell they go through the catalogue of memory, squinty eyes and furrowed brow, and then nod with a hmm. I also have to remind people what was Texas Western is now UTEP.

Like would it really matter if Houston or Baylor win??

Like would it really matter if Houston or Baylor win??
Ten years ago it might’ve. But I can only speak for myself, and I’d say not so much now. The distinction has worn thin. That might be heresy on this board though, so don’t tell anyone I said that.

I’m all for UH winning it, but I don’t think they quite have the horses.

I thought Villanova would make it to the finals but Baylor shut that down.

I have Creighton as a sleeper, but Gonzaga is tough.

Baylor hitting its stride.

PAC XII is flexing its muscle. Oregon State has the MOJO going.

'Bama and Razorbacks are having a "hold my beer" for the SEC moment in the tourney.

Ten years ago it might’ve. But I can only speak for myself, and I’d say not so much now. The distinction has worn thin. That might be heresy on this board though, so don’t tell anyone I said that.

I’m all for UH winning it, but I don’t think they quite have the horses.
I hate Baylor, so I hope they never win it. I don't have anything in particular against Houston (I know you support them), but if another Texas team besides UTEP is going to win it all, I hope it's Texas Tech. I grew a lot of respect for them when they came here to play UTEP in that charity game after the shooting.

I hate Baylor, so I hope they never win it. I don't have anything in particular against Houston (I know you support them), but if another Texas team besides UTEP is going to win it all, I hope it's Texas Tech. I grew a lot of respect for them when they came here to play UTEP in that charity game after the shooting.

Wasn't that game already scheduled? I think all that changed was fans being allowed. It went from a closed scrimmage to a public event.

It might not be said much but I bet every single college coach in Texas knows and wants to be the first one to win it.

the only people that bring it up is posters here and maybe the local media. Im just saying maybe we over hype it too much.
If I was a new news reporter who got to walk around the catacombs and touch the relics of the great saints and martyers under Saint Peters Basilica (the Vatican Necropolis) I'd be tweeting and IG'ing away too. Our local sports media are transplants and getting to walk the halls and speak directly to those who had beers with Haskins is a big deal.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
the only people that bring it up is posters here and maybe the local media. Im just saying maybe we over hype it too much.
If UTEP was more successful, we wouldn't have to hype it up. It is really all we have to hang on to. If you think about it, that is sad.

We have had so little success since 1992, and the national media banged the point that we were the only team in Texas to win over and over when we made the Sweet 16. So obviously it does still hold water. I would bet that they mention it if Baylor or Houston make the finals.

Again it is sad that this is really our holy grail.

It’s more than just the only team in Texas piece. It’s about breaking barriers.

The NCAA sometimes highlights UTEP’s achievement in the NCAA Tournament program. A major film was made about it, and many books/articles have been written about it.

I care, and think y’all are undervaluing our history.

It’s more than just the only team in Texas piece. It’s about breaking barriers.

The NCAA sometimes highlights UTEP’s achievement in the NCAA Tournament program. A major film was made about it, and many books/articles have been written about it.

I care, and think y’all are undervaluing our history.

You’re a UTEP fan though. The rest of the country does not. History is constantly undervalued. The black athletes at Kentucky and the other SEC schools don’t seem to mind how they would have been treated 50 years ago.

If people cared about history, UTEP should have the best black players wanting to play here. We don’t even get the best Hispanic players here. Facilities, coaches, and everything else matters more than history.

Reactions: Rocketsr
You’re a UTEP fan though. The rest of the country does not. History is constantly undervalued. The black athletes at Kentucky and the other SEC schools don’t seem to mind how they would have been treated 50 years ago.

If people cared about history, UTEP should have the best black players wanting to play here. We don’t even get the best Hispanic players here. Facilities, coaches, and everything else matters more than history.

That wasn’t OP’s question.

If UTEP was more successful, we wouldn't have to hype it up. It is really all we have to hang on to. If you think about it, that is sad.

We have had so little success since 1992, and the national media banged the point that we were the only team in Texas to win over and over when we made the Sweet 16. So obviously it does still hold water. I would bet that they mention it if Baylor or Houston make the finals.

Again it is sad that this is really our holy grail.

Why do we talk about the first black President, the first women Vice President the first anything. Because the first of anything is important.
It also goes to show how hard it is to win the dance.
It’s just an injustice that UTEP let it athletic department fall into disarray. Poor AD’s, poor coaches, no marketing and School presidents who don’t care, or realize the the money that good sports programs bring into the school.

The game still has to be played, but I think Baylor beats Arkansas. UH still has to close it out against Oregon State, but I’m feeling confident about that one. Looks like a Texas team is gonna have another opportunity to win it all. Not saying it’ll happen, for the 2nd time in as many opportunities, looks like a Texas team will get their chance.

Reactions: Lil_Train
The game still has to be played, but I think Baylor beats Arkansas. UH still has to close it out against Oregon State, but I’m feeling confident about that one. Looks like a Texas team is gonna have another opportunity to win it all. Not saying it’ll happen, for the 2nd time in as many opportunities, looks like a Texas team will get their chance.

I hope Baylor and Houston stumble.

I don’t have proof, but I doubt many of these Houston players could pass a freshman English class.

Houston has had a charmed path. Four games against double-digit seeds, and really should have lost to Buttgers.

(Oregon State turned out to be really good, though.)

I am just amazed how Houston grabs the offensive boards game after game. If UTEP could board like that, then it wouldn't matter so much all the shots they miss. (Houston shot like UTEP today.)

I think Baylor would be a bad matchup for Houston. But I think Houston could take Arkansas, and I think Arkansas has a (slim) chance to take Baylor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT