ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Postpones Start of Football Practice

MistaBinks

MI VIP
Jan 13, 2008
El Paso, Texas
Director of Athletics Jim Senter and head football coach Dana Dimel announced on Sunday that the start of UTEP’s preseason football practice has been postponed.

Out of safety considerations for all parties, the entire football team (student-athletes, coaches and staff) was tested for COVID-19 on Thursday, August 6. Only partial results were available on Saturday, causing Sunday’s practice to be cancelled. The remaining results were obtained on Sunday.

Four members of the football program, all student-athletes, have tested positive for COVID-19. All were asymptomatic. These student-athletes, plus their roommates, have been placed into a 14-day quarantine retroactive to Saturday, Aug. 8. The rest of the team, including student-athletes, coaches and staff, entered a five-day quarantine retroactive to Saturday, August 8 at the recommendation of team medical personnel. They will be retested on Wednesday, Aug. 12.

Once results are received from the retest on Wednesday, a determination will be made on when practices will begin.

Reactions: EP Maximus
I agree with you guys, this season will not happen in my opinion. Every team likely has or will have a handful of asymptomatic players that test positive so even if they give it a go it’s likely many games will be cancelled each week across the country. And with 2 weeks quarantine, forget it. Not only the current week’s game cancelled but the next. Sad to say but it’s our reality.

I agree with you guys, this season will not happen in my opinion. Every team likely has or will have a handful of asymptomatic players that test positive so even if they give it a go it’s likely many games will be cancelled each week across the country. And with 2 weeks quarantine, forget it. Not only the current week’s game cancelled but the next. Sad to say but it’s our reality.

Right. Impossible to have a season. This will be CATASTROPHIC!

NCAAWins, do you think this will doom a lot of football (and/or athletic) programs across the country? I have heard from someone that an option for some athletic programs may be to have funds essentially allocated to them from the academic side to keep things afloat, but this would mean spending cuts in other areas. Tough times!

All sports should be suspended until a vaccine is ready. NCAA should help the colleges with the scholarships. Maybe 50/ 50 split

NCAAWins, do you think this will doom a lot of football (and/or athletic) programs across the country? I have heard from someone that an option for some athletic programs may be to have funds essentially allocated to them from the academic side to keep things afloat, but this would mean spending cuts in other areas. Tough times!

Not just sports, a lot of colleges will be hurting. Sports draw in interest to programs, “free” advertising. Plus, with most colleges going online, who really wants to pay/take out loans for a years worth of UT education to go online in a bedroom?

Pretty sure donations will go down too. This is shitty news for everyone. All these people that complain about football coaching salaries will see how much good the football teams actually did for their school.

Reactions: EMA884
All sports should be suspended until a vaccine is ready. NCAA should help the colleges with the scholarships. Maybe 50/ 50 split

Without NCAA championships, their bankroll won’t last too long. CBS isn’t going to give them money for tournaments and games that don’t happen.

Not just sports, a lot of colleges will be hurting. Sports draw in interest to programs, “free” advertising. Plus, with most colleges going online, who really wants to pay/take out loans for a years worth of UT education to go online in a bedroom?

Pretty sure donations will go down too. This is shitty news for everyone. All these people that complain about football coaching salaries will see how much good the football teams actually did for their school.

Good points

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Didn’t mean it as a response to you. Just a general statement how we realize a lot of athletes will get sick by playing sports while pretending our kids will be immune to it in school.

I wouldn't say either that A LOT of athletes will get sick by playing sports, but it's just not worth it to take that chance to play a game.

Most Div II schools have already cancelled all fall sports except for cross country. Their intention is to re schedule those contests during the spring semester. Obviously the powers to be have given little thought to the fact that colds and seasonal flu will probably be in addition to the Chinese virus, and all 3 virus could have similar symptoms. Looking for vaccines to be maybe 50% effective, which will be quite helpful, if they build immunities that will last awhile. We could be wearing masks for some time to come, but I hope that I'm wrong about that. I have a healthcare background, so I have a tendency, at times, to be somewhat negative in these situations. Our healthcare system certainly has my respect. We certainly can't shut the majority of small business down again because they are the heart and soul of our country's economic future. Critical, as stated by others, that university sports get back on the field sometime in 2021 too.

I still can’t comprehend how it’s too unsafe for athletes but for our children it’s not.

Yeah, I’ve noticed a couple posters on here who think the football season should be cancelled due to safety concerns yet the same posters are ready for kids and adults to be confined in a closed classroom with re-circulating air. Not sure how that makes sense.

Yeah, I’ve noticed a couple posters on here who think the season should be cancelled due to safety concerns yet the same posters are ready for kids and adults to be confined in a closed classroom with re-circulating air. Not sure how that makes sense.

Who is saying this?

Yeah, I’ve noticed a couple posters on here who think the football season should be cancelled due to safety concerns yet the same posters are ready for kids and adults to be confined in a closed classroom with re-circulating air. Not sure how that makes sense.
Not only at schools but I’ve noticed a lot of people are a little too comfortable being inside buildings with recirculated air surrounded by strangers.

I am nervous about sending my daughter back to school, but also worried about her mental health and education.
Going back to a controlled environment is not the same as playing a contact sport.
I believe the schools can keep the players safe until it comes time for the contact.

This season is not happening. Looking like the Power 5 shutting it down this week. There is talks about not taking a year away from any students eligibility, but the question is what happens for athletes coming in on the next recruitment process. This presents a setback for NFL bound athletes even if the season is played in the spring from any athletes with combine hopes. Financially most schools are going to be hurt in a major way by this. How does this affect UTEP?

Hell, I think the NFL finds a way to get the season started on time. I can't imagine the NFL starting their season later in the fall but then again this is 2020.

This season is not happening. Looking like the Power 5 shutting it down this week. There is talks about not taking a year away from any students eligibility, but the question is what happens for athletes coming in on the next recruitment process. This presents a setback for NFL bound athletes even if the season is played in the spring from any athletes with combine hopes. Financially most schools are going to be hurt in a major way by this. How does this affect UTEP?

Hell, I think the NFL finds a way to get the season started on time. I can't imagine the NFL starting their season later in the fall but then again this is 2020.

Unknown how everything will be impacted.

Only 69 players opted out of the NFL season and there’s at least 1,000 guys ready to take those spots. The NFL will try, we will have to hope they play games, because if not, it’s going to be a super boring winter.

Its amazing how many people get this that are asymptotic. I wonder how many of these athletes who are gifted physically are asymptotic when they get a common cold or flu.

Reactions: jdubb66
I am nervous about sending my daughter back to school, but also worried about her mental health and education.
Going back to a controlled environment is not the same as playing a contact sport.
I believe the schools can keep the players safe until it comes time for the contact.

How old is your daughter if you don’t mind me asking?

I have a teenage son who I trust to do the right things to stay safe. It’s just I don’t trust the little shits who are clout chasing and worried bout their IG or Snap stories who think they can’t be harmed. You know we’re gonna see kids licking toilet seats and opening and drinking juice bottles at Wal-Mart or worse.

The whole pandemic is made worse by having to trust other people to be selfless and put up with all the bullshit in order to be safe.

How old is your daughter if you don’t mind me asking?

I have a teenage son who I trust to do the right things to stay safe. It’s just I don’t trust the little shits who are clout chasing and worried bout their IG or Snap stories who think they can’t be harmed. You know we’re gonna see kids licking toilet seats and opening and drinking juice bottles at Wal-Mart or worse.

The whole pandemic is made worse by having to trust other people to be selfless and put up with all the bullshit in order to be safe.
She in middle school, she waffles back and forth about going to school or doing on line. She doesn’t feel like she learning doing the on line but is scared to go back. I’m in my 60’s and my myself and wife both have health issues. That is her biggest fear is bringing it back home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT