ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP QB Depth Chart

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
im guessing Gavin Hardison is starter

who is #2 and #3??

i say Calvin Brownhotlz is #2 with Kevin Hurley #3.

Jakolby redshirts

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
My hunch is former KSU backup QB Nick Ast was brought in as a change of pace QB to run Dimel’s pistol type offense. He was a capable QB at KSU and he may be UTEPs best QB on the current roster, IMO. At 6’5’’, Ast certainly has the size to take the hits required for Dimel’s offense, unlike Hardison.

Last edited:
My hunch is former KSU backup QB Nick Ast was brought in as a change of pace QB to run Dimel’s pistol type offense. He was a capable QB at KSU and he may be UTEPs best QB on the current roster, IMO. At 6’5’’, Ast certainly has the size to take the hits required for Dimel’s offense, unlike Hardison.
That would make sense but he is listed as a wr on UTEP's spring roster. Last season as KSU backup he relieved the starter vs Iowa St in a blowout loss and completed 6 of 10 for only 44 yards.

Why do you think Ast might be our best QB? I'm no fan of Hardison as a player, so I hope you're right. I've just never heard anything about Ast being anything more than just another body in the room.

I would really like if the coaching staff a gave the job to a true freshman. Whens last time Utep had a true freshman start?? Was Trevor Vittatoe a true freshman??

I would really like if the coaching staff a gave the job to a true freshman. Whens last time Utep had a true freshman start?? Was Trevor Vittatoe a true freshman??
For a freshman to win the starting job I would imagine he’d have to win the job by a mile. Would you give up a 5th year Jakolby to have a True Freshman Jakolby who is possibly just as good or a little better than Hardison?

I just think if I was a new coach and trying to build a program. I would look to recruit high school QB and give him the keys. Start him right away. But that has to happen when you get the job right away. Dimel cant afford to start a freshman now .

Hopefully, the best player will get the job, regardless of grade. I don't think the freshman is going to win the job, but they have to do a better job getting the backups prepared this season. Hardison was never going to be the long term answer.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Hopefully, the best player will get the job, regardless of grade. I don't think the freshman is going to win the job, but they have to do a better job getting the backups prepared this season. Hardison was never going to be the long term answer.
According to Bloomquist, Hardison is the future of this program. He has 3 more years to play but if he doesn't get the job done early in this season with several winnable games then Brownholtz and/or Hurley or maybe Longino should take over. Brownholtz and Hurley also have 3 years left. And your absolutely right that the coaching staff needs to have backups ready to play. Could be one reason we have a new OC/QB coach.

Why do you think Ast might be our best QB? I'm no fan of Hardison as a player, so I hope you're right. I've just never heard anything about Ast being anything more than just another body in the room.
Hardison has a gun of an arm and better mechanics. Brownholtz has cajones that can come in and light a fire under the team. Those are easily my top 2.

I just think if I was a new coach and trying to build a program. I would look to recruit high school QB and give him the keys. Start him right away. But that has to happen when you get the job right away. Dimel cant afford to start a freshman now .
Dimel is on his 4th year and doesn't have time for that

Reactions: utep-piggy
Trevor Vittatoe started every game his entire career at UTEP. Forty-nine games. Four seasons plus a bowl game. It is very unlikely that that record will be broken.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT