ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP should hire Briles immediately

WestTxNA3

Four-star recruit
Oct 7, 2015
UTEP should hire Briles immediately. The coaching and recruiting that he would bring to UTEP would outweigh any PR nightmare of hiring him.

Nah. Let him and his wife drive around the country in an RV for a year until this blows over. Then hire him.

For Baylor to fire Briles the report has to be absolutely terrible. Briles made hundreds of millions of dollars for Baylor, was the architect of the greatest college football rebuild in history. Not to mention he is a god among the Texas high school coaches. Having said all that you know this report has to be absolutely damming to Briles and his complicity in covering up sexual assaults. This may well be Penn State bad. He may well be too radioactive for any school to ever touch again. I bet he ends up coaching high school football again, i wouldnt be suprised at all to see him return to Stephenville.

Last edited:
This is who you want for your coach?

Capture_zpsm2ekcgbp.jpg

Reactions: MineroFanatico
For Baylor to fire Briles the report has to be absolutely terrible. Briles made hundreds of millions of dollars for Baylor, was the architect of the greatest college football rebuild in history. Not to mention he is a god among the Texas high school coaches. Having said all that you know this report has to be absolutely damming to Briles and his complicity in covering up sexual assaults. This may well be Penn State bad. He may well be too radioactive for any school to ever touch again. I bet he ends up coaching high school football again, i wouldnt be suprised at all to see him return to Stephenville.

1) Rape is crime. Briles didn't report it

2) He basically formed his own internal police department to deal with the complaints

3) He covered up his horrible deeds

You're daughter went to a party, got sexually assaulted by a football player. Parent goes to Briles (and maybe police). Daughter gets forced out or nothing is done. I hate to sound cliché, but Briles is a direct offspring of Texas's over obsession with American football.

Here's the report:

http://www.baylor.edu/rtsv/doc.php/266596.pdf

1) Rape is crime. Briles didn't report it

2) He basically formed his own internal police department to deal with the complaints

3) He covered up his horrible deeds

You're daughter went to a party, got sexually assaulted by a football player. Parent goes to Briles (and maybe police). Daughter gets forced out or nothing is done. I hate to sound cliché, but Briles is a direct offspring of Texas's over obsession with American football.

I dont know the point of your post. Nobody is disputing this, and I didnt defend briles in my post.

43295178.jpg
I dont know the point of your post. Nobody is disputing this, and I didnt defend briles in my post.

I am sorry. However, Baylor needs the Big XII, not the other way around. Baylor has spent national war chest type money and all they got out of this ordeal is a new stadium with the help of Foster? Remember, when the conference started way back when, Baylor was left out along with SMU and TCU. Baylor state politicos threatened UT to get them in or they will remember this come appropriations.

Last edited:
I am sorry. However, Baylor needs the Big XII, not the other way around. Baylor has spent national war chest type money and all they got out of this ordeal is a new stadium with the help of Foster? Remember, when the conference started way back when, Baylor was left out along with SMU and TCU. Baylor state politicos threatened UT to get them in or they will remember this come appropriations.

Ann Richards was governor at the time and an alumn of Baylor. She is why they got in originally.

Reactions: liebestraum
Total collapse at BU ain't going to happen. Remember the little episode their B-Ball program had a few years back? They came through that and their program actually was stronger after a few years of probation. They will reload and I expect in 2-3 years nobody will care and it will be bidness as usual.

Reactions: miner661
Unfortunately my stance on a coach is to COACH the football team ON THE FIELD and nothing else matters off the field. The police and local authorities should handle anything that happens off the field (sexual abuse, etc. not the coach.) I appreciate the stories of coaches helping young men get their lives straight off the field but that is not in the job description when they sign their name on the contract. If Briles himself was acting inappropriately with a student or something else then yes he or any coach should be relieved of duty immediately but losing your job because the local authorities are crooked, is not right.

P.s. I hate Baylor and no way have ever liked Briles. That is my opinion on the job of a coach of any sport at any school.

Unfortunately my stance on a coach is to COACH the football team ON THE FIELD and nothing else matters off the field. The police and local authorities should handle anything that happens off the field (sexual abuse, etc. not the coach.) I appreciate the stories of coaches helping young men get their lives straight off the field but that is not in the job description when they sign their name on the contract. If Briles himself was acting inappropriately with a student or something else then yes he or any coach should be relieved of duty immediately but losing your job because the local authorities are crooked, is not right.

P.s. I hate Baylor and no way have ever liked Briles. That is my opinion on the job of a coach of any sport at any school.

I agree that the coach is not in control of what happens off the field. But when he knows criminal activity is taking place and he covers it up so that he 'doesn't lose a star,' thats when it becomes the problem that it became.

If you worked at McDonalds and a co-worker rapes a fellow employee in a walk in refrigerator and you don't report it because you like the way he makes fries, you're an asshole.

You have a mother, but do you have a sister, or a daughter?

To wait for the cops/courts to get involved takes too long, might never happen, and is negligent.

Your argument is idiotic.

Reactions: JeepJackson22
Unfortunately my stance on a coach is to COACH the football team ON THE FIELD and nothing else matters off the field.

Yes that IS unfortunate and NO, it doesn't work that way these days. Your players, your program, 24/7. That's the deal. And when a parent or other student of the university complains to you about potentially illegal behavior by your players, you don't try to talk them out of it or otherwise ignore the complaint.

None for football coaches but there is an opening for "SCUMBAGS".

And speaking of scumbags, what's the deal with former Baylor Prez. Ken Starr new job title: Director of Fund Raising & Religious Liberty? The guy that oversaw the university - responsible for the entire debacle gets moved to a different "parish". These Baptists took a page from a Cardinal's playbook! Where/When does the hypocrisy end?

Reactions: develman

And speaking of scumbags, what's the deal with former Baylor Prez. Ken Starr new job title: Director of Fund Raising & Religious Liberty? The guy that oversaw the university - responsible for the entire debacle gets moved to a different "parish". These Baptists took a page from a Cardinal's playbook! Where/When does the hypocrisy end?

And the irony of the whole thing is Starr being the former special prosecutor involved investigating President Clinton's sex scandal.

lieb

Reactions: develman
This is terrible news for Baylor. I wouldn't be surprised if they received the "death penalty" for several years from the NCAA. Briles career is cooked. Whomever coaches there is going to have a lot of talking to do.
The sad fact is that no one's going to get the death penalty any more. The NCAA tried it once and it didn't go all that well. If Penn St., after harboring a child molester for more than 30 years, didn't get the death penalty, I don't know who will.

I'd guess Baylor is going to get something similar. A drastic penalty to make it look like they give a crap. Then people will start to whine about how oh these poor kids didn't come to a school understanding what the sanctions are like and it's just not fair to them not to be able to play in a bowl game, and then the sanctions will get lifted in a couple of years.

Last edited:
Yep, and in two or three years from now all this will be forgotten and we will all shift our attention to another scandal infested program never willing to admit that money and power have corrupted college athletics to the point that no matter what crime is committed, how much cheating is conducted and corrupt the system is, winning is everything.

Hypocrisy and religion go hand in hand.

Reactions: JCorona
UTEP should hire Briles immediately. The coaching and recruiting that he would bring to UTEP would outweigh any PR nightmare of hiring him.
I will take Kugler over Briles. I am all for giving coaches second chances for certain things, but Briles doesn't deserve a second chance for what he did.

This is the typical win at all cost mentality that rules over some of the top college programs in the country. They will cheat, lie, and allow criminal activity involving their top athletes. There was no regard for the victims and the only thing that mattered was winning on the filed.

This is terrible news for Baylor. I wouldn't be surprised if they received the "death penalty" for several years from the NCAA. Briles career is cooked. Whomever coaches there is going to have a lot of talking to do.

As bad as it is, the NCAA isn't going to give them the death penalty, much less anything remotely severe. Having said that, whatever the NCAA does will be predicated on how many parents/students come with a lawsuit against the school. That's what Baylor needs to worry about next. That report is pretty damning. The smartest thing they did was letting Briles go, followed by removing Ken "I'm still jonesing over Monica" Starr from office (but he should be gone completely). Lastly with the AD resigning, that's all pluses in their favor. Won't stop those lawsuits (that'll be settled out of court), but it will lesson whatever hand slap the NCAA would give them.

As for Briles, I would guesstimate he'll be coaching again soon. Some alumni at some school will push their AD to hire him. It won't be next season, but they'll be some discussions about it. I don't have that type of faith in a lot of AD's to completely wash their hands of him. They all want those W's and will explore hiring Briles a year from now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT