ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP @ So. Miss Prediction Thread

Dec 22, 2016
So Miss. opened as a -26.5 favorite.

Miners are reeling at QB, they are improving, but this will be a tough road game.

So. Miss 34 UTEP 12

There are members in the secondary that are playing lights out and others who are getting torched and our opponents know it, it's that obvious.

I will give Dimel time but if you have to throw in a first year freshman to get senior qb's to stop throwing into double and triple coverage, do it.

O line looked much better Saturday but Nevada D line is their biggest weakness, and that is Nevada's own admission.

I don't know what UTEP is putting in Fields huevos in the morning, but keep it up. Total 180 from last year. Gives Hughes much needed breathers.

UTEP has FBS caliber WR's! Woohoo!! We just don't have good QB's who can see them open. Our boy TV was mentioning it during the game.

I'm saying it right now, USM IS going to win CUSA. They just hit a national buzz saw Saturday and CUSA football is extremely inconsistent right now but USM has the best backs in the league and good line:

This. Will. Be. Another. Blood. Bath. At the hands of USM

UTEP 10
USM 65

There are members in the secondary that are playing lights out and others who are getting torched and our opponents know it, it's that obvious.

I will give Dimel time but if you have to throw in a first year freshman to get senior qb's to stop throwing into double and triple coverage, do it.

O line looked much better Saturday but Nevada D line is their biggest weakness, and that is Nevada's own admission.

I don't know what UTEP is putting in Fields huevos in the morning, but keep it up. Total 180 from last year. Gives Hughes much needed breathers.

UTEP has FBS caliber WR's! Woohoo!! We just don't have good QB's who can see them open. Our boy TV was mentioning it during the game.

I'm saying it right now, USM IS going to win CUSA. They just hit a national buzz saw Saturday and CUSA football is extremely inconsistent right now but USM has the best backs in the league and good line:

This. Will. Be. Another. Blood. Bath. At the hands of USM

UTEP 10
USM 65
If you're being serious if like to take that bet for a cool $100 that UTEP won't lose by 55 pts lol

USM. A LOT
UTEP. VERY LITTLE

Game plan. A
1st down. Run
2nd down. Run
3rd down Run
4th down Punt

Game plan B
Variation of Plan A
3rd down incomplete pass or interception
4th down If no interception; punt

Overall philosophy...load up running plays and keep the clock moving. Keeps the score
down. Incomplete passes stop the clock.

UTEP is bad we all get that, but why does everyone on here seem to think S. Miss is even better than TT???

If you're being serious if like to take that bet for a cool $100 that UTEP won't lose by 55 pts lol
I'm tempted. I was impressed with USM in some areas. UTEP is still too one dimensional and KL and Jones are good for at least 2 turnovers.

UTEP is bad we all get that, but why does everyone on here seem to think S. Miss is even better than TT???
We don’t match up well against Southern Miss. They could very well shut us out. In the last three meetings they have outscored us 97-14 and one of those touchdowns we scored was in garbage time after being down 39-0.

Last edited:

Texas Tech is a really bad power 5 school this year. They are headed for 2-10 this year. They will get better but it's going to be a rough year. USM would beat them by 21.

Reactions: utep-piggy
Unless Dimel pulls a Houdini out of his fanny, this secondary is going to get prepped and smoked southern style. They are 23rd in the country in passing. Ross is playing horribly and got picked on by Nevada badly.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Texas Tech is a really bad power 5 school this year. They are headed for 2-10 this year. They will get better but it's going to be a rough year. USM would beat them by 21.
I don't agree that S. Miss would beat them by 21 at all. S. Miss hasn't been all that impressive. They are not the same team that won 11 games some years back. I mean we're gonna lose, but 65-10 is ridiculous I think.

Hardison may see some action. He has a great arm. KL and Jones to be one two on depth chart for USM.

USM-35
UTEP-10

As much as I would like to travel to this game, my non rev options (2 flights on AA) don’t bode well as far as back ups, etc to make it to work on time after the game.

"Kai will play on a feel basis" I've never known a coach who feels like his team needs to go three and out or commit a game changing turnover.

What can ultimately happen is a loss of confidence among players in the coaching staff if they are continuously put in situations that are proven to be detrimental to the flow and outcome of the game. Things were moving pretty well for UTEP early on in the Nevada game when Locks was thrown in apparently on a feeling Dimel had at that time. In a single, unnecessary play the momentum seemed to completely shift. The head coach obviously is free to make his own game-time decisions, play-calling as he sees fit, substitutions of personnel, etc., but when a gut feeling to switch out arguably the most critical piece on offense leads to one turnover after another, game after game, players will take note. It does not inspire any kind of confidence. I think some of the guys who have expressed concern with the head coach on here and on various broadcasts over particular game management decisions are justified in their thinking.

"Kai will play on a feel basis" I've never known a coach who feels like his team needs to go three and out or commit a game changing turnover.
From the EP Times article.

“Kai Locksley completed two passes to his team and two passes to the wrong team, and whatever feel Dimel had when he inserted Locksley after two possessions from Jones — a run-based touchdown drive and a penalty-killed three-and-out — only to see Locksley throw a first-play interception, was not the right one.”

From the EP Times article.

“Kai Locksley completed two passes to his team and two passes to the wrong team, and whatever feel Dimel had when he inserted Locksley after two possessions from Jones — a run-based touchdown drive and a penalty-killed three-and-out — only to see Locksley throw a first-play interception, was not the right one.”
673182b774103c7d7867085338c579c7f64c3c1bbc9615a67724a131738566cd.jpg

Apparently the best way to have a shot at beating USM is the one part of the game that has been missing from the UTEP arsenal for years, thru the air. According to the SunHearld.com, they have been fried through the air.

"Considering the Eagles lost their best running back, Trivinskey Mosley earlier in their opener and were missing talented receiver Quez Watkins for two of the first four, the offense has performed well. Surprisingly, the defense, a huge strength last year, has been torched."https://www.sunherald.com/sports/college/sec/mississippi-state-university/article235422162.html

It would be nice to see UTEP qb's discover the air....

"A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I"
[Pink Floyd; "Learning to Fly", 1987]

The coach who we passed in order to hire Dimel, Sterlin Gilbert, knew from the beginning that Kai was not a college QB when they were at UT. The guy who we hired over Gilbert, cannot see what Gilbert saw years ago, and keeps getting burned by Kai, but keeps giving him chance after chance. It is very difficult to have any confidence in Dimel.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
From Coach Dimel's thoughts on the Nevada game UTEP coulda won by 4 TD's if they clean things up lol. So Dimel's prediction...... UTEP 38 S. Miss 17 if they clean some things up.... S. Miss 49 UTEP 13 if they don't clean it up hahahaha!!! Must be a lot to clean up Coach!

Reactions: Lil_Train
From Coach Dimel's thoughts on the Nevada game UTEP coulda won by 4 TD's if they clean things up lol. So Dimel's prediction...... UTEP 38 S. Miss 17 if they clean some things up.... S. Miss 49 UTEP 13 if they don't clean it up hahahaha!!! Must be a lot to clean up Coach!
In all fairness, UTEP did look good on both sides. Nevada went thru 3 qb's because they too are up and down at that position. UTEP went with two and both caused critical inside UTEP territory turnovers and Nevada swung the game to their favor.

USM has holes in their D but UTEP wants to slug it out on the ground with Fields and Hughes but USM will torch Ross all day, I guarantee it, with multiple 1:30 drives. USM is top 25 passing among all FBS schools.

So Miss. opened as a -26.5 favorite.

Miners are reeling at QB, they are improving, but this will be a tough road game.

So. Miss 34 UTEP 12

The line has not changed much: Southern Miss -26.5, -26 according to vegasinsider.com.
http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

Travel Day/ Walk- Thru Friday Forecast:
93° Sunny (with humidity: 98°)
Game Day Forecast:
92° Sunny (with humidity: 97°)
https://weather.com/weather/today/l/6d3feeeb0c717d90a73807befdcc6e261b69e666b02b84adefb5b2fad3fcb7a9
UTEP flight:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SCX8616/history/20190927/1800Z/KELP/KPIB

UTEP 17
Southern Miss 45

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT