ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Student Athletes Test Positive for COVID-19

A few vaccine developers are starting phase 3 testing this month. There will likely be a vaccine available late Fall or 1st of the year. We can wait that long for sports. Have a shorter football season in the Spring, maybe 8 games. Let the players recoup from that with no organized summer program and then get back to a normal Fall schedule in 2021.

A few vaccine developers are starting phase 3 testing this month. There will likely be a vaccine available late Fall or 1st of the year. We can wait that long for sports. Have a shorter football season in the Spring, maybe 8 games. Let the players recoup from that with no organized summer program and then get back to a normal Fall schedule in 2021.
How about playing football in the Spring? I cant see us playing in 2 months. Let's hope a vaccine is on the way.

Reactions: TXPrepMiner02
How about playing football in the Spring? I cant see us playing in 2 months. Let's hope a vaccine is on the way.
Going thru the thicket and weeds of college football and Covid-19 news, it seems like HC's of FBS level are warming up, not liking, but warming up to playing in the spring semester.

I think there is a zero chance that Texas Tech will play here in 2 months.
Positive tests are happening in everywhere. This changes nothing, this is to be expected and they have a protocol. With that said, whether they were going to play or not, this recent development won't effect it. The quarantine period is 2 weeks not 2 months. Not saying they will play or they won't, but definitely not 0 percent they will.

Positive tests are happening in everywhere. This changes nothing, this is to be expected and they have a protocol. With that said, whether they were going to play or not, this recent development won't effect it. The quarantine period is 2 weeks not 2 months. Not saying they will play or they won't, but definitely not 0 percent they will.

This issue about positive tests can become a big issue very quick. Athletes at major big money programs could argue they’re within their rights to ask for some sort of isolation program a la The NBA, or Top Rank boxing. Plus, if a student refuses to participate due to a concern for their health will their coach uphold their scholarship? These are scenarios that the NCAA needs to think about because they can happen. Although it seems unlikely; what’s going to happen if an athlete is hospitalized, or God forbid they die because of this virus? College football is crazy if they’re going to approach this season saying “it’s the cost of doing business.”

If there’s a spring season, it will be short. There is absolutely no way they play the full season from January through May and then start again in September. If you play 12-13 games in the spring and then make the NFL and play 16 more, that’s almost 30 football games in one year. Fine for kickers, but not everyone else.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
If there’s a spring season, it will be short. There is absolutely no way they play the full season from January through May and then start again in September. If you play 12-13 games in the spring and then make the NFL and play 16 more, that’s almost 30 football games in one year. Fine for kickers, but not everyone else.

Another potential problem might be rescheduling the bowl season. It sounds like a logistical nightmare since every bowl game is their own entity. Getting every NCAA school on board and reshuffling schedules for the spring, and then getting all the bowl games to reschedule is going to be tough. If this is a possibility The NCAA needs to work on this yesterday.

Another potential problem might be rescheduling the bowl season. It sounds like a logistical nightmare since every bowl game is their own entity. Getting every NCAA school on board and reshuffling schedules for the spring, and then getting all the bowl games to reschedule is going to be tough. If this is a possibility The NCAA needs to work on this yesterday.

Imagine playing the Sun Bowl in May?

I know positive tests are happening everywhere. I thought there was a zero percent chance a few weeks ago.

I am saying it's zero percent because players can't practice and coaches can't coach.

You really think 100+ Texas Tech players, coaches, etc. are going to travel to El Paso and play in 2 months?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I know positive tests are happening everywhere. I thought there was a zero percent chance a few weeks ago.

I am saying it's zero percent because players can't practice and coaches can't coach.

You really think 100+ Texas Tech players, coaches, etc. are going to travel to El Paso and play in 2 months?
No I never said I think they'll for sure play. I said I don't believe it's 0 percent. I believe it's about 40 percent they'll play either on time or at a later date.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT