ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP to announce “historic gift” tomorrow

If you were the Ad we be an independent, and no one would donate dime.
We would be independent in football and Basketball. For the first 2 years all football games would be money games. Same with Basketball. UTEP would make so much money , they wouldn't need donors.

We would be independent in football and Basketball. For the first 2 years all football games would be money games. Same with Basketball. UTEP would make so much money , they wouldn't need donors.
I swear I remember a time looooong ago where fili actually was a rational poster. I now swear he spends to much time with Ye.

• Haha
Reactions: T-6 Miner
Does this mean that 30 years from now UTEP will have graduated enough students that went on to become successful that they can donate a chunk of money to the Athletic Department? That would be nice, but the lag time is a bitch.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Why didn't nmsu stay independent then? Or Liberty? Notre Dame is the only independent that does better on its own. Utep is not notre dame.

Why didn't nmsu stay independent then? Or Liberty? Notre Dame is the only independent that does better on its own. Utep is not notre dame.
Several years ago, tv deals were renewed. Conference USA with 12 members at the time got a 24-million-dollar deal. Two million per school. Notre Dame in the same time period got a 22-million-dollar deal by itself. So, Notre Dame must be 11 times better than UTEP at generating revenue. Sounds like what you'd expect.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Because they're stupid they should e played all money games. All road games should've been games against Power 5 teams. Irish only play good teams and big name teams. If UTEP plays all power 5 teams they wont need a TV deal. Those games will already be on national tv . The OU game was on Fox.

Several years ago, tv deals were renewed. Conference USA with 12 members at the time got a 24-million-dollar deal. Two million per school. Notre Dame in the same time period got a 22-million-dollar deal by itself. So, Notre Dame must be 11 times better than UTEP at generating revenue. Sounds like what you'd expect.
And even Liberty. Tons of money, alumni, donors, etc. They thought they would be better off in CUSA. Unless you're notre dame, it's hard to recruit to a place where you don't play for a conference championship.

Navy and Army are also successful as independents, but they both have huge followings/brands.

Reactions: kickballpro
Because they're stupid they should e played all money games. All road games should've been games against Power 5 teams.
You make scheduling sound so easy. You do realize that everyone in G5 wants money games too? And that availability to play those money games isn't possible during conference schedule play for the P5 teams? You're limited to very early in the season or very late. So you schedule maybe 4 big money games... what about the other 8? NMSU and Liberty had to backfill with teams like UCONN and FCS teams.

You also have to remember that Notre Dame puts the schedules together that they do because they are Notre Dame and their media deal gives good payouts to their opponents. That's why they can have such an attractive schedule with the ACC or BIG10 (they have agreements with certain conferences).

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
I dont have time to explain, but my idea is perfect. It's a no brainers. Conferences are stupid .

Let’s face it, some people in this forum are just ingrates. The Hunt family just donated $25 million to UTEP and they are quick to question their intentions. The Hunt family just presented UTEP with the largest monetary donation it‘s received in the school’s 100+ year history. First of all, the Hunt family did not have to donate UTEP one cent, and yet they chose to give UTEP a very generous donation. The Hunt family could have donated their money somewhere else. As a UTEP Alumn and fan I appreciate this great gift by the Hunt family!

Last edited:
Given that Football is a business, can we allocate a couple million to football? Say College of Business 20, UTEP football 4?

Let’s face it, some people in this forum are just ingrates. The Hunt family just donated $24 million to UTEP and they are quick to question their intentions. The Hunt family just presented UTEP with the largest monetary donation it‘s received in the school’s 100+ year history. First of all, the Hunt family did not have to donate UTEP one cent, and yet they chose to give UTEP a very generous donation. The Hunt family could have donated their money somewhere else. As a UTEP Alum and fan I appreciate this great gift by the Hunt family!
This forum and like sites for other schools were meant for sports talk because those sports teams brought visitors here.

Business schools don’t have their own message boards and none of us would tune in to see the class of 2025 take their business exams via some webcast. We’re here to talk about sports.

So if some wish, this could all be going to football, that should be expected on a sports forum. I don’t think it’s being an “ingrate”.

Given that Football is a business, can we allocate a couple million to football? Say College of Business 20, UTEP football 4?
This is the type of accounting I suspect the UTEP athletics department has been doing for decades.

This forum and like sites for other schools were meant for sports talk because those sports teams brought visitors here.

Business schools don’t have their own message boards and none of us would tune in to see the class of 2025 take their business exams via some webcast. We’re here to talk about sports.

So if some wish, this could all be going to football, that should be expected on a sports forum. I don’t think it’s being an “ingrate”.
I get that some people wish that the Athletic Department had received such a gift. But complaining that someone made a generous gift to the University that you support is ridiculous. Complaining that the family's name is going to be on a building after making such a donation is ridiculous. Complaining that the family is receiving kudos for their donation is ridiculous. The Hunt family didn't have to donate a dime. The should receive the praise that many of us have given them. Ingrate is a perfectly fine word to use to describe anyone who belittles the family for their gift.

I get that some people wish that the Athletic Department had received such a gift. But complaining that someone made a generous gift to the University that you support is ridiculous. Complaining that the family's name is going to be on a building after making such a donation is ridiculous. Complaining that the family is receiving kudos for their donation is ridiculous. The Hunt family didn't have to donate a dime. The should receive the praise that many of us have given them. Ingrate is a perfectly fine word to use to describe anyone who belittles the family for their gift.
Very well stated Maniac. That was my point.

Reactions: MinerManiac
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT