ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP @ UAB MBB

groundrounds

MI Regular
Dec 3, 2017
The Mountains of New Mexico
I know it's early but we could use a change of subject. Here comes conference play!

This is the most difficult first game of conference play imaginable against the #1 pick to win the conference. They have a veteran team and we have a first year HC. But, Let's Do It!!

Thursday Dec 30 at 5:50
CUSA TV
https://uabsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster.
UAB
They've got a 260 lb, 7' beast of a transfer from Clemson who starts every game (Trey Jemison ), 3 graduate guards who get another year thanks to the super flu and a bunch of juniors. All of these player have played us before and some have burned us for some serious stats.
Their point guard, Jordan Walker, is 5'11” and averages 16 points per game and 40% from 3 but the rest of their guards are tall like ours so we don't get an advantage there. They are a very experienced team and have been picked by the coaches to win the conference.
The Blazers are 10-3 and have played more cupcakes this year than we have
( https://uabsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule).
They beat New Mexico by 13 on a neutral floor and lost to San Francisco (neutral by 2), West Virginia ( in Morgantown by 6) and South Carolina (Colombia, by 3).
UTEP
The good: We should be able to get the whole band back together again after injuries, super flu, etc. We have had some practice time this past week with the whole group. All players have seen the floor since the season has started and CJG has played more starting combinations that just about any coach in the nation. Our players have seen these Blazers before and I'm sure CJG has debriefed them.
The bad: The Miners lack confidence since they haven't won a big game yet. Evidence shows that the Miners are a long way from gelling. Hopefully that will happen before the CUSA tourney.

The only way we win this game is through a coaching miracle. Can CJG pull it off? Hope so!

Homer Pick:
Miners 77
Blazers 75

Realistic Pick:
UTEP 69
Blazers 82

Last edited:
Should help that we have the squad back, but this is the toughest road game of the season behind Kansas, probably a little tougher than NMSU.
UTEP loses in a valiant effort 72-64 goes for road split again M. Tennessee.

Unlike Terry who had UTEP look like a top 20 team one night and lose to Rice Golding is creating an identity so soon in his first year.

UAB will be locked and loaded for this game. Games like this bring out Boum’s warrior side and the downside is he forces shots that are not there. The flip side is he can’t get into foul trouble. Is Bienemy going to shoot blanks or will he shoot well? UTEP needs that KK we saw the last three weeks. UTEP’s perimeter D needs to react quick because UAB can bury the 3. UAB is beatable but UTEP is not consistent.

UAB 81
UTEP 69

UAB 80
Miners 65

Middle Tennessee will not be an easy game either. They have improved significantly over last year.

Unlike Terry who had UTEP look like a top 20 team one night and lose to Rice Golding is creating an identity so soon in his first year.

UAB will be locked and loaded for this game. Games like this bring out Boum’s warrior side and the downside is he forces shots that are not there. The flip side is he can’t get into foul trouble. Is Bienemy going to shoot blanks or will he shoot well? UTEP needs that KK we saw the last three weeks. UTEP’s perimeter D needs to react quick because UAB can bury the 3. UAB is beatable but UTEP is not consistent.

UAB 81
UTEP 69
Still waiting for that game when Boum, Bienemy, and Kennedy all three have a great game.

Sit down and buckle up Miner fans! This conference is not very good this year as we may see Rice in the top half one week, 49’ers next then UNT. Do not be surprised if MTSU wins the conference, I have them as my sleeper surprise team. However, La Tech and UAB are top dawgs and should be top 2 or three with WKU has March creeps up. UTEP just needs to decide who they want to be. Scrappy is great but the offense needs a shot of B12 every night.

Shouldn't this be a forfeit? It's in the rulebook, I think...

You attached the rule book so I’m sure the answer is “yes”

• Haha
Reactions: JCorona
Tydus is back at practice but Kennedy is not. Just saw an interview with Golding that they thought that they would be all back and healthy to play but they are not.

• Wow
Reactions: groundrounds
Sit down and buckle up Miner fans! This conference is not very good this year as we may see Rice in the top half one week, 49’ers next then UNT. Do not be surprised if MTSU wins the conference, I have them as my sleeper surprise team. However, La Tech and UAB are top dawgs and should be top 2 or three with WKU has March creeps up. UTEP just needs to decide who they want to be. Scrappy is great but the offense needs a shot of B12 every night.
MTSU is not going to win the conference- They are better than their expected last place but not in the top 4

"TEAM LEADERS: UAB's Jordan Walker has averaged 14.7 points and 4.3 assists while Quan Jackson has put up 10.8 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.8 steals. For the Miners, Keonte Kennedy has averaged 13.5 points, 5.9 rebounds and two steals while Souley Boum has put up 13.3 points.JUMPING FOR JORDAN: Through 13 games, UAB's Walker has connected on 40 percent of the 80 3-pointers he's attempted. He's also shooting 87.1 percent from the free throw line this season."

https://www.titusvilleherald.com/sports/article_22e27483-028f-5342-a64a-d5f1e160e14a.html

2 true, 2step. Who's gonna defend Walker? If it's Boum, that could lower both of their score totals. Tydus will be on Jemison. I wonder what the other match ups will be. We're gonna miss little KK. Hopefully Saterfield can roam the perimeter and sink some 3s and we can defend Jackson by committee.

CJG is a poker player. I hope he has some cards up his sleeve.

Beating them at home seems like an impossible task, unless the stripes are honest.

Last edited:
The biggest issue may be keeping turnovers down
Jacksons points tend to come off turnovers as he steals the ball a lot
So do others
Jackson takes far too many 3s despite his 15% accuracy
UABs offense stagnates if they are not getting points off turnovers

Sounds as if KK is indeed out as he posted "Tough times don’t last but Tough ppl do" on twitter yesterday

You can always catch the replay if it turns into an interesting game. Let's hope that happens. Go Miners!!

BTW, speaking of magical winter, we got snow coming up here in the mountains of New Mexico. Might get a foot. The forest is thirsty. Been a dry fall.
Seems like all of NM has been dry this fall/winter. Taos Ski Valley had 6 runs open on Christmas. They usually have about 25-50% of the mountain open on Thanksgiving. I know all the ski resorts in Northern NM are in the same boat.

Hopefully you get that snow.

Sounds like UAB has a couple of guys who just got out of covid protocol and Brown is starting- he normally does not play a lot let alone start

It's my fault, guys. I checked the score and it was 10-11. Watched some TV and checked back a few minutes later, it's 10-22. It never fails...I need to stop checking scores mid-game.

Of course they call the little touch foul on Sibley, but no push off on Jameson under the hoop.

This is gonna be a long night.

uab radio guy former uab coach murry bartow said golding deserved both Techs but he also said one of the refs is quick to give Ts--- that was before the first one

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT