ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP-UTSA Football Game Moved to ESPN2, 8:15 p.m. Kickoff on Nov. 6

MistaBinks

MI VIP
Jan 13, 2008
El Paso, Texas
EL PASO – The UTSA at UTEP football game will be televised on ESPN2 with kickoff being moved to 8:15 p.m. MT on Nov. 6 in Sun Bowl Stadium.

The contest was originally scheduled for a 2 p.m.kick.

“We’re excited to play on ESPN2,” UTEP Head Coach Dana Dimel said. “It’s an honor to play before a national television audience. It’s an opportunity to bring a lot of exposure to our community and football program. We want to encourage Miner Nation to get their tickets, come out and show the rest of the country what an unbelievable environment we have when we’re playing before a packed house in the Sun Bowl.”

This is great, but keep the team focused on a very tough road game at FAU, who is the second beat team we've played this year.

EL PASO – The UTSA at UTEP football game will be televised on ESPN2 with kickoff being moved to 8:15 p.m. MT on Nov. 6 in Sun Bowl Stadium.

“We’re excited to play on ESPN2,” UTEP Head Coach Dana Dimel said. “It’s an honor to play before a national television audience. It’s an opportunity to bring a lot of exposure to our community and football program. We want to encourage Miner Nation to get their tickets, come out and show the rest of the country what an unbelievable environment we have when we’re playing before a packed house in the Sun Bowl.”
Great stuff. Get off your sofas and get out there El Paso and support the miners!!!!

A late kickoff on a night the weather may be colder. With constant TV timeouts, the game will probably end closer to midnight. I know this is for national exposure, but I was really looking forward to the afternoon kickoff time. Hopefully it'll be worth it. Fortunately this will take place on the weekend we fall back our clocks. So we'll be able to sleep in an hour later on Sunday.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
This is a rare opportunity to have a ranked team at home vs a UTEP team with a winning record. I can't remember the last time that happened.

How is it bad business to play on National TV??? Dont we want UTEP to go to better conference??? UTEP will keep getting passed up if they only play on Stadium.
Some where saying playing at 2 was going to result in low ticket sales. Now UTEP will go head to head vs Locomotive, cold weather, Canelo fight and whatever other reason El Pasoans will use. The irony of it all.

A late kickoff on a night the weather may be colder. With constant TV timeouts, the game will probably end closer to midnight. I know this is for national exposure, but I was really looking forward to the afternoon kickoff time. Hopefully it'll be worth it. Fortunately this will take place on the weekend we fall back our clocks. So we'll be able to sleep in an hour later on Sunday.

Typical El Pasoan response. UTEP finally gets something good and people complaining. That's why we never get nice things in El Paso.

How is it bad business to play on National TV??? Dont we want UTEP to go to better conference??? UTEP will keep getting passed up if they only play on Stadium.
Tennessee and Kentucky play at 5. If that game goes long, they will push back the time a bit. If it’s going really long, they will still push it back a bit and put it on ESPNews.

Again, big Canelo fight that night, the game was set for 2pm when they released the schedule, and to a much lesser extent, the Locomotive are hosting a playoff game.

Being on ESPN2 at 10:15 Eastern, and beating a Top 25 team, isn’t getting UTEP in a better conference. Nobody moves conferences based on 1 game. Only an idiot would believe this game makes a difference in that.

Tennessee and Kentucky play at 5. If that game goes long, they will push back the time a bit. If it’s going really long, they will still push it back a bit and put it on ESPNews.

Again, big Canelo fight that night, the game was set for 2pm when they released the schedule, and to a much lesser extent, the Locomotive are hosting a playoff game.

Being on ESPN2 at 10:15 Eastern, and beating a Top 25 team, isn’t getting UTEP in a better conference. Nobody moves conferences based on 1 game. Only an idiot would believe this game makes a difference in that.

There is no pleasing you. UTEP could do everything perfect and you will find something to complain about. You were the one saying 2pm was to early. Now they moved it and you complaining again. Okay tell me when do you want them to play?? Friday night??

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
There is no pleasing you. UTEP could do everything perfect and you will find something to complain about. You were the one saying 2pm was to early. Now they moved it and you complaining again. Okay tell me when do you want them to play?? Friday night??
2pm is too early. Go look at the crowds of previous 2pm kickoffs. Kick it between 5 and 7. That’s what UTEP fans have already told you they expect.

I understand why and I am not “complaining” about it, only that the gate will suffer because of it. I know you barely understand simple concepts, maybe get a 5th grader to explain some of my posts to you.

Reactions: Hot For Keitha
2pm is too early. Go look at the crowds of previous 2pm kickoffs. Kick it between 5 and 7. That’s what UTEP fans have already told you they expect.

I understand why and I am not “complaining” about it, only that the gate will suffer because of it. I know you barely understand simple concepts, maybe get a 5th grader to explain some of my posts to you.
Do you want them to play on National TV or not??? ESPN already has a game during that time?? Take it as and audition to ESPN. If UTEP fans show up then maybe ESPN can help Utep get in a better conference. ESPN/Disney love UTEP they made Glory Road.

• Haha
Fili I'll give credit to NoWins that it wasn't him complaining about the 2pm start time. I believe he complained against it and has every time they move a night game to the afternoon.

Nov 6th does kind of suck for a late night game but it's whatever. Time to show the Locomotive who still runs this town.

Boxing fights have a small impact on attendance cuz boxing is a niche sport. Maybe 1k or less people show up cuz they rather host a ppv boxing party with the UTEP game showing on another TV.

If UTEP breaks the eastern time zone curse it won't matter if Canelo is fighting and if the Mexico soccer teams is playing at the same time.

UTEP fans will show up like its 2004 again.

Do you want them to play on National TV or not??? ESPN already has a game during that time?? Take it as and audition to ESPN. If UTEP fans show up then maybe ESPN can help Utep get in a better conference. ESPN/Disney love UTEP they made Glory Road.
It has nothing to do with “want”. I simply said “it’s bad for business”. An audition? Every game is an audition. The game could be sold out and UTEP could win 87-0, the MWC isn’t going to suddenly whip out an invitation. Our game versus Boise St and other past “football powers” tells conferences all they need to know about UTEP football.

ESPN wasn’t a part of Disney back then and even if they were, it has nothing to do with this game. Glory Road was a whole “$12 million” box office surplus for Disney.

UTEP cannot go on National TV and have 12,000 in attendance. Senter needs a packed house.

No it may not move the needle for getting into the MWC, but a Nationally Televised game with 2 teams playing for a chance in the Conference Championship, if 12,000 are there, MWC will take note.

Its similar to when Santos played in the Sun Bowl and MLS executives showed up. They weren't going to give El Paso an MLS franchise, but they did tell El Paso they weren't ready for a franchise. It was an "I told you so" moment.

Reactions: JCorona
Is it true Utep helped UTSA start its football program?? Someone on Twitter said UTEP gave them uniforms

Reactions: Prospero915
UTEP cannot go on National TV and have 12,000 in attendance. Senter needs a packed house.

No it may not move the needle for getting into the MWC, but a Nationally Televised game with 2 teams playing for a chance in the Conference Championship, if 12,000 are there, MWC will take note.

Its similar to when Santos played in the Sun Bowl and MLS executives showed up. They weren't going to give El Paso an MLS franchise, but they did tell El Paso they weren't ready for a franchise. It was an "I told you so" moment.
It all comes down to winning Saturday. Packed house? Doubtful. 25-30k? Maybe.

That reminded me of the Texas vs the Nation game. Kind of feels like when El Paso needs to show up the most is when they stay home.

Reactions: kickballpro

That’s weird that they invited San Jose St with their 10,000 fans for football games and 1,000 for basketball?

Didn’t know Rice, UNT, UTSA, Charlotte, FAU, and UAB have been setting attendance records either? Only the MWC cares about attendance then?

Not sure how a Santos Laguna game translates to El Paso not being ready for a franchise? Kind of unfair to judge a city based on attendance of a team that is a 10 hour drive away in another country?

Reactions: axingfools1
That reminded me of the Texas vs the Nation game. Kind of feels like when El Paso needs to show up the most is when they stay home.
Texas vs the Nation was trash. Moved to San Antonio, attendance was worse and now the game is out of business. It was trash, end of story.

Is it true Utep helped UTSA start its football program?? Someone on Twitter said UTEP gave them uniforms
I believe the story is, they gave them old equipment and uniforms that they were going to get rid of anyway. They definitely did not provide them with new stuff that UTEP paid for.

That’s weird that they invited San Jose St with their 10,000 fans for football games and 1,000 for basketball?

Didn’t know Rice, UNT, UTSA, Charlotte, FAU, and UAB have been setting attendance records either? Only the MWC cares about attendance then?

Not sure how a Santos Laguna game translates to El Paso not being ready for a franchise? Kind of unfair to judge a city based on attendance of a team that is a 10 hour drive away in another country?
Tv markets. We have to make up our lack of tv market with other factors. Such as strong attendance, facilities, coches pay, etc...

A soccer city will show up to watch professional teams play. A non soccer city won't.

Reactions: utep-piggy

Exactly, it isn't fair.

But the biggest game played in the Sun Bowl in a long time, if its empty, MWC can always use that Ammo against us.

The Analogy with Santos, MountainStar brought Chivas and Santos to El Paso to prove that El Paso was a passionate Soccer Culture that would show up in droves. They even turned the Sun Bowl in a Grass Surface. It was a dud.

Senter Could invite MWC officials to El Paso for this game, and say, "Hey, look at what we bring to the table." That's what I would do if I were Senter.

Tv markets. We have to make up our lack of tv market with other factors. Such as strong attendance, facilities, coches pay, etc...

A soccer city will show up to watch professional teams play. A non soccer city won't.
El Paso isn’t a soccer city because they didn’t turn out for a meaningless friendly?

I believe the story is, they gave them old equipment and uniforms that they were going to get rid of anyway. They definitely did not provide them with new stuff that UTEP paid for.
And this is how UTSA repays us?? Lil brother throws big brother under the bus.

Exactly, it isn't fair.

But the biggest game played in the Sun Bowl in a long time, if its empty, MWC can always use that Ammo against us.

The Analogy with Santos, MountainStar brought Chivas and Santos to El Paso to prove that El Paso was a passionate Soccer Culture that would show up in droves. They even turned the Sun Bowl in a Grass Surface. It was a dud.

Senter Could invite MWC officials to El Paso for this game, and say, "Hey, look at what we bring to the table." That's what I would do if I were Senter.
“Hey look at what we bring to the table, when we’re 6-1 and the other team is undefeated and in the Top 25”. UNM had 15k and Nevada had 10k when they last played here. 1 game doesn’t make up for the last 10 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT