ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP UTSA .... Saturday game

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
Am I being picky? Just read the pregame stuff on the website. All of the key players are mentioned with one glowing exception. Nothing about Keith Frazier! In the typical style of our athletic programs; if there's something uncomfortable or awkward, just don't talk about it. Maybe nobody will notice. Since we didn't see him at all in the last game (because he didn't have his legs back yet after his L.O A.) what does "mum's the word" mean here? Its flat out goofy not to mention your leading scorer. Stull's gone, Floyd's gone so why the drama?

To be fair, no mention of Omega, Gilyard or Touchet either. I think maybe it was just the line of questioning or Johnson's thoughts on Smith being out 2-3 weeks and Osborne gaining more confidence. Hell, Gilyard had a 'freshman of the week' type performance last week, but instead they talk about McGee because its a homecoming for him. If we don't see Frazier on saturday then Johnson should just take a hike.

I'd like to see Gilyard, Frazier, Osborne, Wade and Willms at the same time. Driving, shooting, rebounding, blocking shots, playing defense and making freethrows. Keep the bench short to Omega, Thomas and McGee. See what happens.

To be fair, no mention of Omega, Gilyard or Touchet either. I think maybe it was just the line of questioning or Johnson's thoughts on Smith being out 2-3 weeks and Osborne gaining more confidence. Hell, Gilyard had a 'freshman of the week' type performance last week, but instead they talk about McGee because its a homecoming for him. If we don't see Frazier on saturday then Johnson should just take a hike.

I'd like to see Gilyard, Frazier, Osborne, Wade and Willms at the same time. Driving, shooting, rebounding, blocking shots, playing defense and making freethrows. Keep the bench short to Omega, Thomas and McGee. See what happens.
You are correct sir! I was so preoccupied with the Frazier saga it hadn't occurred to me that Omega, Gilyard and Touchet we're omitted also. I still don't think it's an accident that he isn't mentioned.

Reactions: axingfools1
I'm sitting here looking at The Dallas Morning News college basketball schedule for today and it says, "UTEP AT UTSA...3 PM". Anyone aware of a time change?

I'm sitting here looking at The Dallas Morning News college basketball schedule for today and it says, "UTEP AT UTSA...3 PM". Anyone aware of a time change?

Looked at UTSA's schedule and it's still showing 7:30. Didn't see anything in the SA Express News about a time change, either.

Who knows where and how stuff like this originates. Maybe I should add... who cares?

Not sure why I am asking, since I no longer care to suffer through the miserable game watching experience, but I must admit that I'm always hoping for a reason to change my outlook.
Correction: no game to watch anyhow.

Not sure why I am asking, since I no longer care to suffer through the miserable game watching experience, but I must admit that I'm always hoping for a reason to change my outlook.

Do you have any family in El Paso? Most providers now feature a way to steam your service on the web. I know Spectrum, Dish, and Direct TV offer this.

I can relate. This'll be the first time I've chosen not to go see the Miners when they come to SA.

I have a friend's 60th bday to go to. Typically I'd go to the game and catch the end of the party...you know, when it gets good. Not this time. Gonna be a loooong party!

Reactions: USAFminersfan
Do you have any family in El Paso? Most providers now feature a way to steam your service on the web. I know Spectrum, Dish, and Direct TV offer this.
Appreciate your suggestion. No family, just friends. I wouldn't begin to know how to stream the game from whoever their provider is anyhow. I didn't stream the FIU game last week intentionally although I could have in Miner TV. Maybe if I chose not to watch or listen it'll bring another W.

Wilms out with ankle, Harris had two critical turnovers and Thomas out most of 2nd half and just 25 percent FG.

I thought Omega would lead this team and score 20/pts a game. He has regressed I guess because of his back, the coaching change, being a dad, and the guys around him. His 3 point shooting has fallen off the map compared to his sophmore season. Sad senior year. Thomas and Wilms have regressed as well. We will lose our next 4 games and maybe miss the CUSA tourney. We can only look forward and hope the young core stays with the new staff.

I thought Omega would lead this team and score 20/pts a game. He has regressed I guess because of his back, the coaching change, being a dad, and the guys around him. His 3 point shooting has fallen off the map compared to his sophmore season. Sad senior year. Thomas and Wilms have regressed as well. We will lose our next 4 games and maybe miss the CUSA tourney. We can only look forward and hope the young core stays with the new staff.
It's been a tough year for all of the returners from last year's team. We all expected much more. In retrospect, I think we can see how important Artis was to this team. He was far from perfect, but he really put the team on his back during our late run last year. I think Omega, in particular, really misses his running mate. Magee and Gilyard have been serviceable as freshman, but it has been a huge drop off from Artis. One thing is clear is that this team was no where near good enough to make up for the inexperience at the point, as has been mentioned by Floyd. We already knew Willms would struggle to be healthy, but the continuing losses inside have really hampered the team. However, to me, this team with a guy like Artis would be completely different. Tough season.

It's been a tough year for all of the returners from last year's team. We all expected much more. In retrospect, I think we can see how important Artis was to this team. He was far from perfect, but he really put the team on his back during our late run last year. I think Omega, in particular, really misses his running mate. Magee and Gilyard have been serviceable as freshman, but it has been a huge drop off from Artis. One thing is clear is that this team was no where near good enough to make up for the inexperience at the point, as has been mentioned by Floyd. We already knew Willms would struggle to be healthy, but the continuing losses inside have really hampered the team. However, to me, this team with a guy like Artis would be completely different. Tough season.
You are right. We are always missing one or two players. Year after year same story under Floyd and crew. Last complete team was Barbee's last. That needs to change.

Obviously in a one point game you have to go with Touchet

Last edited:
Even Flaggert and Touchet made a shot or two last year. If they had made two shots between them tonight, we would have won. It is tough when the guys who are supposed to be able to shoot a team out of a zone are so horrific. I would throw Frazier in there as well, who continues to jack up bad shots.

Reactions: El Paso 777
Wow; have we been way off in our evaluation of Coach Johnson. He proved to us tonight why he hasn't been playing Frazier. He stunk it up! A series of 40 ft bricks.

Reactions: MinerJo
The only good thing going on now is that the undercassmen are carrying the team. Question is who will stay?

Reactions: topminer
Disappointing result last night.
RwbMl.gif

Looks like Frazier decided to thro the ball to the rim no matter where he was. Wonder if this is the attitude for not playing. If it is sit his ass, where not going anywhere no matter what.

The only good thing going on now is that the undercassmen are carrying the team. Question is who will stay?
Guessing, I would say Magee, Smith, Thomas, and Touchet; including the upperclassmen.

Last edited:
Can somebody who has watched the last few games shed some light on how Wade is playing? I noticed he had 6 boards in only 15 minutes. Is there any glaring reason why his minutes are so minimal?

I know I've said this before, but I remember Johnson saying, "we need Wade to rebound at this time". That's EXACTLY what he does in his limited time...is rebound. I don't f*#king get it.

Then you have guys like Touchet and Flags. Don't get me wrong because I know they are hard working, loyal kids, but they get nearly as much court time as Wade, Touchet sometimes even more, but with FAR LESS production.

#SMH

Can somebody who has watched the last few games shed some light on how Wade is playing? I noticed he had 6 boards in only 15 minutes. Is there any glaring reason why his minutes are so minimal?

I know I've said this before, but I remember Johnson saying, "we need Wade to rebound at this time". That's EXACTLY what he does in his limited time...is rebound. I don't f*#king get it.

Then you have guys like Touchet and Flags. Don't get me wrong because I know they are hard working, loyal kids, but they get nearly as much court time as Wade, Touchet sometimes even more, but with FAR LESS production.

#SMH
Wade didn't start, then was in foul trouble during the 1st half yesterday. Thomas got most of the minutes and then Flaggert a few when Thomas was in foul trouble 2nd half. Wade needs to move to SF and Osborne to SG IMO. We just have no depth across the front line to do that. When Wade is in at PF he rebounds well and defends the rim well. If Thomas would stop fouling so much maybe he and Wade could play together.

Wade didn't start, then was in foul trouble during the 1st half yesterday. Thomas got most of the minutes and then Flaggert a few when Thomas was in foul trouble 2nd half. Wade needs to move to SF and Osborne to SG IMO. We just have no depth across the front line to do that. When Wade is in at PF he rebounds well and defends the rim well. If Thomas would stop fouling so much maybe he and Wade could play together.

Thanks for the clarification.

I hope the new coaches focuses on retaining Gilyard, Wade, and Osborne.
I hope the team bands together and we can keep all the guys as well as Royster and Ochieng. That would at least give us 4 front line players plus a nice backcourt for the new coach to play with. Add a few more peices maybe and you never know. We will miss Jones again next year, unless we can somehow get an athletic center that can rebound and protect the rim for at least a few small spurts at a time. I guess beggers can't be choosers though. The kids need to do what's best for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: RanDaddyBinks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT