ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs ACU game thread

We get it. You don’t like them. Repeating it over and over again gets repetitive. Just saying

Like is not the right word. Think much of, is what you’re looking for. At least I am aware of Wadley being out for the year. Been on the news, in the paper, and on UTEPs social media. Such a big Miner fan you are!

It helps when we play against two FCS teams! But I'll take it. Many here were predicting an ACU win, so for this week I'll be happy with the upset.

If UTEP is actually any good, ULM is a must-win. ULM is not very good.

Not many. A couple of us. I was going for the reverse psychology bit. You’re welcome. It worked.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
This really sucks. I'm going to have to revise my revised season prediction of 1-11 to 2-10. 😏⛏
large_firstworldproblems.png

It’s hard to predict a win next week but ULM might be just as bad as us. It’s definitely not a guaranteed loss. I would say 40/60 in their favor. Senter set up Dimel for success. Really wish that Dimel takes advantage of it.

Can't give (or take) style points when you are a UTEP football fan, but if I see that jumbo or rugby package or whatever it's called for short yardage again I will lose my mind.....Note to UTEP coaches you do not have the O-line to overpower any team, quit trying. A win is a win.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
It’s hard to predict a win next week but ULM might be just as bad as us. It’s definitely not a guaranteed loss. I would say 40/60 in their favor. Senter set up Dimel for success. Really wish that Dimel takes advantage of it.

Scott Stoker is the DC for ULM. If he hasn’t changed his style Hardison and the WRs should have big games. Let’s see if Dismal and Chico have some balls and air it out next week.

It helps when we play against two FCS teams! But I'll take it. Many here were predicting an ACU win, so for this week I'll be happy with the upset.

If UTEP is actually any good, ULM is a must-win. ULM is not very good.
Not an upset, cause we were favored despite what some on this post said.

A lot of the UTEP administration pushing the 2-1 start on social media.

So the question arises:

If Dimel does not win another game all year, should he be fired? I believe in a normal year, he should have been let go already based on these first 3 games. 2 home games against mediocre (and that is stretching it) FCS opposition, that could have just as easily been losses, and a team that didn't even show up in a game that Texas could have named their score.

The way the team has played, I can't envision another win unless it is a forfeit. So, will Senter use covid as the excuse and keep him another year? Does one more win save his job?

One thing that is also apparent is how boring the team is. There is no excitement. I would take a Hal Mumme team over this because at least there would be some excitement. This team is boring as hell to watch. It would be different if they were winning, the combination of boring, and losing does not sit well anywhere, especially with the donors. I think watching paint dry may bring about more excitement than watching this team.

I would think Dimel’a job is safe for another year. I’m sure the athletic department wasn’t in a position to buy out coaches pre-pandemic let alone now. Plus, we all know an assistant has to be fired first because that’s always the stopgap. Once Cox or Canales get the boot we can officially say that Dimel’s seat is getting warm.

I must admit that the offense is not spectacular but they have shown a willingness to throw the ball downfield this year. They have been successful and I hope they get more confident because they have guys that can get deep.

So the question arises:

If Dimel does not win another game all year, should he be fired? I believe in a normal year, he should have been let go already based on these first 3 games. 2 home games against mediocre (and that is stretching it) FCS opposition, that could have just as easily been losses, and a team that didn't even show up in a game that Texas could have named their score.

The way the team has played, I can't envision another win unless it is a forfeit. So, will Senter use covid as the excuse and keep him another year? Does one more win save his job?

One thing that is also apparent is how boring the team is. There is no excitement. I would take a Hal Mumme team over this because at least there would be some excitement. This team is boring as hell to watch. It would be different if they were winning, the combination of boring, and losing does not sit well anywhere, especially with the donors. I think watching paint dry may bring about more excitement than watching this team.

If the team loses the rest of the way, assuming ULM and LaTech are not the last games, then yes, Dismel should be fired. The ULM game will be telling. If this team gets blown out, then I don’t know how anyone would think it will get better.

This offense is atrocious. Boring. Only when they throw deep, does look okay.

I agree that I can’t pencil in a win against the remaining opponents on our schedule. At the same time a lot of teams on our schedule look bad. USM lost to a team that was down to 6 starters. UNT gave up 65 to SMU. If Dimel wasn’t such a “pussy” we would have beat SFA with a better score than utsa. Rice and FIU haven’t played yet so we don’t know anything about them. Charlotte is another team we don’t know much about. ULM is 0-2 and has dealt with COVID outbreaks and hurricanes.

There’s games to be won. Will we?

Fields probably just won the game.
Yes he did. He did a great job in that last drive to kill the clock. I really liked the way he would hesitate, spot a crease and then take off like a shot and run hard. His running was critical in that drive.

Hardison was cool as a cucumber on his completion for a first down in that drive. I was expecting Dimel to call a run into the middle on 3rd and 9.

So the question arises:

Our offense is boring for the most part. It is really hard to tell at this point if the Miners have played 2 fcs teams that are much better than they were last year. They have to play a few more games to find out. The UTEP defense played well. Holding any team to 13 points, fcs or not, is quite good. ULM will be a reality check though. They are not good and can't stop anyone. But their offense can move the ball via the air. If the Miners lose the rest of the way, I agree Dimel should be let go.

Should Dimel be fired? YES.

Will Dimel be fired? NO.
Exactly Fanaticoog. First, the casual fan doesn't know the difference between an FBS vs. FCS win. Senter/UTEP will spin the two wins as improvement. And there is of course the factoring of Covid, and finances. Dimel will be back next year, despite any sign of true on the field improvement after nearly three years.

Exactly Fanaticoog. First, the casual fan doesn't know the difference between an FBS vs. FCS win.

They may not understand the difference in scholarships and the name, and mistakenly call it Division 2, but I think 95% of “casual” fans know that ACU plays at a lower level than UTEP. Maybe 5% think a win verus ACU equals a win versus SMU or North Texas.

Reactions: Rocketsr
They may not understand the difference in scholarships and the name, and mistakenly call it Division 2, but I think 95% of “casual” fans know that ACU plays at a lower level than UTEP. Maybe 5% think a win verus ACU equals a win versus SMU or North Texas.

I think that’s on the high side. I guess it doesn’t matter, tho. We know the difference. Dimel knows the difference. Senter knows the difference, yet he’ll put a positive spin on it for now. As he should.

If we don’t pick up another win, maybe even if we only get one more, it’ll be emphasized that two of our wins were over sub FBS teams. There won’t be any hiding from it then.

Fields and Awatt did all the ball carrying, except for the QB's of course. Why no Flores or the freshman? Also, how much difference did the absence of Hankins make in our running game? He is strong enough to make yards after contact but if there are no holes or creases created by the offensive line then you aren't running for a lot of yards.

Fields and Awatt did all the ball carrying, except for the QB's of course. Why no Flores or the freshman? Also, how much difference did the absence of Hankins make in our running game? He is strong enough to make yards after contact but if there are no holes or creases created by the offensive line then you aren't running for a lot of yards.

Fields played well last night. Still, I’d like to see more Awatt. He runs hard. Good combo of speed and power. Seems good for 4 yards a carry.

Dimel is not going to resign and forfeit $750k per year. When hired, he admitted in a radio interview with Steve K. that his primary reason for wanting the UTEP coaching was he wanted to get paid.
Blame Senter for giving Dimel a five year GUARANTEED contract. Just think, Dimel could have gone 0-60 over five years and still made 3-4 million. What a disgrace!
If I don’t perform my job to my bosses expectations, he would show me the door faster than you can say “RPO”.

I think we will beat one or two more teams but if we go winless Dimel will be fired.

Senter isn’t as dumb as you think he is. He knows exactly what he’s doing this year. He expects to finish near .500. There’s no way Dimel survives if his only two wins are the guaranteed wins. The 1.4 million buyout won’t be that much of an issue. We have money games lined up for the next few years. Two at OU, four at Texas, one at Nebraska, etc. An exciting hire would also lead to higher ticket sales and donations.

The attendance is 6052. Five more people showed up than for the home opener.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT