ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs OU

Oregon State offense is explosive. Assessment is all f’ed up. Boise State is slobber knocked.

Kudos to you UTEP fans who spent and dedicated a whole afternoon watching this train wreck of a football program called UTEP.

Reactions: develman
This ain’t gonna cut it:

UTEP had minus-19 rushing yards at halftime, with no run longer than five yards. The Miners didn’t have a run of longer than seven yards until the final play of the third quarter.

UTEP finished with 28 yards rushing.

(Of course the sack yards make these #s worse.)

Reactions: axingfools1
Thanks, it was hard. Like every UTEP game.
Yep. Brownholtz had a nice game ending drive, except for his last pass of course. Would have been nice to see the Miners tack on a td at the end of that even if against OU's reserves. 20 seems a lot better than 13.

This may sound condescending - but I think your team is actually well coached. Your starting QB, understanding the situation, did the smartest thing he could do - which was not put the football in harm's way. Yes, we got a lot of coverage sacks, but that's mostly due to your QB not trying to be a hero and put the ball in danger. That score could have gotten out of hand, but your offense made sure that our offense had to drive the length of the field each time, not giving us short fields off turnovers. QB also made a few impressive "arm talent" throws. I recall one against a 3 deep to a guy in the corner for about 25 yards - with perfect touch. I said to myself - wow that's a pretty tough one to make.

That gave your defense time to rally and figure out a few things. You guys got some stops. and kept the score down. Of course I'm an OU guy and I'm happy with the outcome, and this might sound patronizing. But look at some of these other scores, and your QB kept a big number off the board for us by not trying to be a hero needlessly. We're the best team on your schedule, and you guys played 3 quarters of pretty sound fundamental football against us.

I think this team might surprise some of you.

Last edited:
I think we expected a loss to Oklahoma by a bunch, but most of us saw us beating North Texas therefore a lot of us are sour. We lost that game even though we matched them offensively due to missed opportunities in the red zone, bad defense at times and a God Awful 3rd quarter. I'd say if we played them again next week, we'd win by 10. Alot of fans are just fed up with the false promises of a good team and it's understandable. However this team does have the talent to win 6-8 games this year. Actually doing it will depend on if we beat the 2 NM schools and get some momentum going. Good luck the rest of the way with your Sooners.

This may sound condescending - but I think your team is actually well coached. Your starting QB, understanding the situation, did the smartest thing he could do - which was not put the football in harm's way. Yes, we got a lot of coverage sacks, but that's mostly due to your QB not trying to be a hero and put the ball in danger. That score could have gotten out of hand, but your offense made sure that our offense had to drive the length of the field each time, not giving us short fields off turnovers. QB also made a few impressive "arm talent" throws. I recall one against a 3 deep to a guy in the corner for about 25 yards - with perfect touch. I said to myself - wow that's a pretty tough one to make.

That gave your defense time to rally and figure out a few things. You guys got some stops. and kept the score down. Of course I'm an OU guy and I'm happy with the outcome, and this might sound patronizing. But look at some of these other scores, and your QB kept a big number off the board for us by not trying to be a hero needlessly. We're the best team on your schedule, and you guys played 3 quarters of pretty sound fundamental football against us.

Julie Josephson Dimel?

Thanks for your more than fair assessment but UTEP fans have had enough of Dimel (and AD Senter).

Actually, in typical Dana Dimel fashion he took off an additional 6-10 points off the board. One with a few seconds left he could’ve just taken what your zone was giving and picked up 10-15, called timeout and kicked a FG going into the half feeling good because you get it back to start the 2nd half. For some reason it was extremely obvious QB Hardison was going for the whole enchilada for a TD strike and got sacked as time expired. That’s on Hardison and Dimel. Like I said, you had our deep covered but were giving smaller chunks.

Second, earlier in the half our D had OU stymied. UTEP got good field position. Remember, Dimel can’t stand success. Just 20 or so yards and UTEP could have at least got a FG. Nope, had to punt.

Like Gary Nord twenty years ago (former OU assistant under Schnellenberger who you all drank to forget), Dimel is a solid recruiter, lousy head coach. Dimel has brought in good players but he tries so hard to be a “players coach” (words from Jon Teicher; UTEP play by play commentator) he doesn’t play to win the conference. He plays to be liked. Dimel was brought in to rebuild which is true because the previous Coach wanted to play Knute Rockne football in the 21st Century. Take our rival in CUSA La Tech for example?They hire to compete for the conference immediately. Dimel, Kugler, Price, Nord, Bailey, Lee and Stull. Only one was a hardly known assistant but knew the contemporary game at that time to succeed,Bob Stull.

David Lee brought in a dying option offense but was no non-sense disciplinarian who backed up his talk (last UTEP coach to do that). Only two or three FBS teams employ it today

Bailey was a washed up coach who brought an aggressive defense but was better at slick one liners for the local sports media (who ate it up big time) as the losses mounted.

Bailey’s assistant, Gary Nord, was literally a hostage negotiation between the returning (defensive) players and the A.D.. The A.D. lost and do did the fans after year one. Nord was a great recruiter. Took talented under developed, under the radar HS players and bulked them up. Legendary NFL LB Thomas Howard was one (May he rest in perpetual peace).

Mike Price. The ultimate salesman. Took those great Nord recruits/players (some he did transfer out) and went to 2 bowl games. Didn’t do much after that and fans begged to move on from Price. He stayed 7 years as ticket sales went from 35k to 12k to 15k (and those were inflated to meet NCAA home game guidelines) when Kugler took the field.

Kugler brought in Aaron Jones. Nuff said and that’s all to say. Good man, excellent character, disciplinarian, hard nose, tough and straight as an arrow. Vanilla offense and alienated what little fan base was left. Our opponents just put “8 in the box” and chalked up a win. His last year he tried to open the offense and reach out to fans but the damage was done. A once legendary UTEP lineman stepped down, sold his house quickly and went back to the NFL. UTEP was bleeding money and desperate.

Dana Dimel came in with the “best, excited Power Point Presentation to rebuild a program in 4 years” ever seen. Not my words but stated by our then new A.D. Senter. Snyder played a major role, too. Dimel and Senter have now been for over a year, saying it will take “5 years”. “I never said 4” according to Dimel (Radio Show). Anyways, FCS NAU came into town with a chip on their shoulder and bragged of a win for his first game. They delivered. UT sent Jacob Cowing 2 1/2 years ago. A major UT recruit who failed to qualify because of paperwork. UT sent him to UTEP and got us to a bowl last year. He transferred and set a TD record at Arizona in their first game on Saturday. We lost to hapless UNT and OU who was giving a free pass in zone defenses 10-12 yards(your “Cheetah” is good but that was against UTEP).Our WR either dropped the ball or Hardison couldn’t deliver. Dimel abandoned the run soon.

Dimel needs to retire. If we lose to NMSU, shit is going to get ugly, again, like the last 30 years.

Last edited:

Disagree with this assignment of our QB. He missed quite a few open receivers. He has no idea what he is looking at pre snap. Which is why he misses the open receiver more times than not. Only thing he seems to understand is how many guys are in the box. Outside of that he's lost.

Perfect example. This dude is praising him for fitting the ball in between defenders in the second video, but there is a wide receiver at the top of the screen wide open.

Last edited:
Reactions: denverutep
Thanks for your more than fair assessment but UTEP fans have had enough of Dimel (and AD Senter).

Actually, in typical Dana Dimel fashion he took off an additional 6-10 points off the board. One with a few seconds left he could’ve just taken what your zone was giving and picked up 10-15, called timeout and kicked a FG going into the half feeling good because you get it back to start the 2nd half. For some reason it was extremely obvious QB Hardison was going for the whole enchilada for a TD strike and got sacked as time expired. That’s on Hardison and Dimel. Like I said, you had our deep covered but were giving smaller chunks.

Second, earlier in the half our D had OU stymied. UTEP got good field position. Remember, Dimel can’t stand success. Just 20 or so yards and UTEP could have at least got a FG. Nope, had to punt.

Like Gary Nord twenty years ago (former OU assistant under Schnellenberger who you all drank to forget), Dimel is a solid recruiter, lousy head coach. Dimel has brought in good players but he tries so hard to be a “players coach” (words from Jon Teicher; UTEP play by play commentator) he doesn’t play to win the conference. He plays to be liked. Dimel was brought in to rebuild which is true because the previous Coach wanted to play Knute Rockne football in the 21st Century. Take our rival in CUSA La Tech for example?They hire to compete for the conference immediately. Dimel, Kugler, Price, Nord, Bailey, Lee and Stull. Only one was a hardly known assistant but knew the contemporary game at that time to succeed,Bob Stull.

David Lee brought in a dying option offense but was no non-sense disciplinarian who backed up his talk (last UTEP coach to do that). Only two or three FBS teams employ it today

Bailey was a washed up coach who brought an aggressive defense but was better at slick one liners for the local sports media (who ate it up big time) as the losses mounted.

Bailey’s assistant, Gary Nord, was literally a hostage negotiation between the returning (defensive) players and the A.D.. The A.D. lost and do did the fans after year one. Nord was a great recruiter. Took talented under developed, under the radar HS players and bulked them up. Legendary NFL LB Thomas Howard was one (May he rest in perpetual peace).

Mike Price. The ultimate salesman. Took those great Nord recruits/players (some he did transfer out) and went to 2 bowl games. Didn’t do much after that and fans begged to move on from Price. He stayed 7 years as ticket sales went from 35k to 12k to 15k (and those were inflated to meet NCAA home game guidelines) when Kugler took the field.

Kugler brought in Aaron Jones. Nuff said and that’s all to say. Good man, excellent character, disciplinarian, hard nose, tough and straight as an arrow. Vanilla offense and alienated what little fan base was left. Our opponents just put “8 in the box” and chalked up a win. His last year he tried to open the offense and reach out to fans but the damage was done. A once legendary UTEP lineman stepped down, sold his house quickly and went back to the NFL. UTEP was bleeding money and desperate.

Dana Dimel came in with the “best, excited Power Point Presentation to rebuild a program in 4 years” ever seen. Not my words but stated by our then new A.D. Senter. Snyder played a major role, too. Dimel and Senter have now been for over a year, saying it will take “5 years”. “I never said 4” according to Dimel (Radio Show). Anyways, FCS NAU came into town with a chip on their shoulder and bragged of a win for his first game. They delivered. UT sent Jacob Cowing 2 1/2 years ago. A major UT recruit who failed to qualify because of paperwork. UT sent him to UTEP and got us to a bowl last year. He transferred and set a TD record at Arizona in their first game on Saturday. We lost to hapless UNT and OU who was giving a free pass in zone defenses 10-12 yards(your “Cheetah” is good but that was against UTEP).Our WR either dropped the ball or Hardison couldn’t deliver. Dimel abandoned the run soon.

Dimel needs to retire. If we lose to NMSU, shit is going to get ugly, again, like the last 30 years.
We won't lose to NMSU, Period! Book It!

Disagree with this assignment of our QB. He missed quite a few open receivers. He has no idea what he is looking at pre snap. Which is why he misses the open receiver more times than not. Only thing he seems to understand is how many guys are in the box. Outside of that he's lost.

Perfect example. This dude is praising him for fitting the ball in between defenders in the second video, but there is a wide receiver at the top of the screen wide open.

Safeties are reading QB's eyes. You throw that short side and it's picked. Harder to come over the top on the wide side. We just disagree here.

Reactions: kickballpro

I was in school at OU during Schnellenberger. I was sober and present for many of those games. I remember it all, I try not to forget. Keeps things in perspective.

Reactions: kickballpro
I was in school at OU during Schnellenberger. I was sober and present for many of those games. I remember it all, I try not to forget. Keeps things in perspective.
Hard to believe he was such a bad coach there after he built the Miami program into such a machine. When he went to OU he predicted they would write books about him

Safeties are reading QB's eyes. You throw that short side and it's picked. Harder to come over the top on the wide side. We just disagree here.
Naw that was a WR turned lose in the coverage by the corner. The safety was bailing on the snap

Great post!

I mean the book on how to defend UTEP's/Dimel/Hardison's offense is to play zone coverage. Yet we still can't run block with 7 or 8 dropping into coverage. That's the adjustment North Texas made late in the second quarter and they stayed that way for the rest of the game, and we still couldn't run the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT