ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs. Texas

Don't know if UTEP could beat Kansas or not, but comparing what UTEP went through against Texas to someone beating Kansas, is absolutely crazy. Kansas is a terrible football program right now. Les Miles will most likely get them going in a few years, but right now they are basically an FCS team in comparison to Texas. That very well might be better than UTEP still and in no way excuses the terrible defensive progression that UTEP has shown.
They’ve beaten UTEP before 34-7 in 2009. I’m sure they’ll be able to beat su this year too

Silly sportswriters. The Big 12 is fine. On a bad day for the Big 12 as a conference, fate will ensure that someone in the conference has UTEP for lunch or dinner that day. UTEP is the gift that every conference needs on a down day.

We have a few good athletes, players who belong on a college team, what we don’t have are coaches. Dimel shows no leadership and looks to me he probably values loyalty more than success. In life that’s a great attribute, on the football field not so much. It appears Wilson is following in Nag,s footsteps. We have an AD who has made a poor choice, back himself into a corner (giving Dimel 5yr contract) and can’t fight his way out.
El Paso has never been a generous society when it comes to supporting anything outside their families or friends. It may be because of our low pay scale or the culture. We are a loving city, but it always has been why should I give money to something that doesn’t benefit me. I don’t see that changing. Therefore we will always be stuck in mediocrity.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
From reading the comments in this thread it’s going to be interesting to read predictions on the UTEP-ACU game.

It was a shitty game but everyone is over reacting. Even good teams will get the snob beat out of them when going up against an instate powerhouse.

Look at what happened to Cinci last season. They won 11 games, spent the last nine weeks ranked in the top 25, won a division title, won a bowl game, etc

They lost 42-0 to Ohio St and had 40 more yards than we did against Texas.

I’m not upset or think that we should have done better. Some of our best historical football teams have suffered equal losses. Why would I expect one of our historically worst teams to outperform those 1988, 2000, or 2004 Miners?

It kind of went exactly how I expected it would go. Except I did have UTEP scoring at least one TD. Even by my lowest of low standards they underperformed.

It was a shitty game but everyone is over reacting. Even good teams will get the snob beat out of them when going up against an instate powerhouse.

Look at what happened to Cinci last season. They won 11 games, spent the last nine weeks ranked in the top 25, won a division title, won a bowl game, etc

I’m not upset or think that we should have done better. Some of our best historical football teams have suffered equal losses. Why would I expect one of our historically worst teams to outperform those 1988, 2000, or 2004 Miners?

It kind of went exactly how I expected it would go. Except I did have UTEP scoring at least one TD. Even by my lowest of low standards they underperformed.
My problem is that they came out scared. 1st play give up an 80 yard TD, then delay of game, then bubble screen behind the line of scrimmage with Hankins on the bench. Come on. Coaches need to wake the f@#! up and get ready to compete.

We've had competitive games with Tech, Texas, Wisconsin, etc...

We might lose these games by a lot but we didn't compete at all yesterday. There's a big difference.

Except Texas isn’t Ohio St and 42-0 isn’t the same as 59-3.

Except Texas isn’t Ohio St and 42-0 isn’t the same as 59-3.
And UTEP is equal to Cinci? Cincinnati has won 22 games the last two years, we’ve won 2. Getting shutout is unacceptable for a team like that. We’ve played eventual National Champions and runner ups and didn’t get shutout.

My problem is that they came out scared. 1st play give up an 80 yard TD, then delay of game, then bubble screen behind the line of scrimmage with Hankins on the bench. Come on. Coaches need to wake the f@#! up and get ready to compete.

We might lose these games by a lot but we didn't compete at all yesterday. There's a big difference.
I agree. Dimel had zero intentions of even attempting to play competitive. He was strictly there for the check and make sure no one gets hurt. He better win next week and play to win in Monroe.

And UTEP is equal to Cinci? Cincinnati has won 22 games the last two years, we’ve won 2. Getting shutout is unacceptable for a team like that. We’ve played eventual National Champions and runner ups and didn’t get shutout.

Good teams have bad days. We lose to NMSU, Rice, and FIU. Texas could have scored 90 points if they wanted. Cincinnati had a bad 2nd quarter. We’ve had bad everything for 15 years.

It's more than just the "Texas" game, Dana Dimel has shown he is not capable. For the life of me, I don't understand why UTEP goes and out and gets the "good ol boy's" type of coaches.... Dimel wants to talk about his 5 year plan, well halfway through there is NO improvement. It's a scheme for him to get a pass, I hope Wilson does not stand for this nonsense. Hopefully they don't lose to ACU, but if they do, any other program would fire Dimel. Sadly, he will probably be safe. It's disgusting watching this team, do the same thing over and over again. Year after year, and the same bad results. UTEP doesn't have to be the worst team in college football, but there needs to be true vision for the direction of the program. You do not go out and hire a coach with a losing record, because he gave a great presentation. ALL aspects need to be taken into account, not just if they can make your hair stand up....

Good teams have bad days. We lose to NMSU, Rice, and FIU. Texas could have scored 90 points if they wanted. Cincinnati had a bad 2nd quarter. We’ve had bad everything for 15 years.
The point still stands good G5 teams get blown out by good P5 teams. So I don’t expect a team that has beat one FBS team in four years to not get blown out. You predicted the final score would be 66-10 so why act all surprised and upset that they lived up to your prediction? It’s exactly what we expected.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
The point still stands good G5 teams get blown out by good P5 teams. So I don’t expect a team that has beat one FBS team in four years to not get blown out. You predicted the final score would be 66-10 so why act all surprised and upset that they lived up to your prediction? It’s exactly what we expected.

Its not the score, it’s the direction they’re going in. It would be nice not to give up a TD on the first possession every time. It would be nice to be in more games after halftime.

Just like we talked about last week, Texas tried to score up 59-3, while the Miners and their pussy coach took a knee. Texas doesn’t care about other teams feeling, but Dimel apparently does. He is a loser.

Reactions: MineroFanatico

****ING THIS!

You know, I know, UT knew that Hankins was gonna get the ball. When scouting UTEP, #33 would have been well on UT’s radar. Why not come out first play, play action to Hankins and grip it and rip it. BE AGGRESSIVE! He didn’t get in till the third ****ing possession.

#21 shit the bed on the first play. He was there to lay the wood and completely whiffed. Way to set the tone.

So in this morning's EP Times Dimel is quoted as saying that the players had that deer in the headlights look and gave Texas too much respect. Said that the corners played 9 yards off when the coaches wanted wanted them no more than 7. Too much cushion. Isn't it the coaches job to correct that? Dimel said the team is better than they showed vs Texas and getting to 2-1 this week is huge.

So in this morning's EP Times Dimel is quoted as saying that the players had that deer in the headlights look and gave Texas too much respect. Said that the corners played 9 yards off when the coaches wanted wanted them no more than 7. Too much cushion. Isn't it the coaches job to correct that? Dimel said the team is better than they showed vs Texas and getting to 2-1 this week is huge.
That was noticeable from the coin toss. Just look at the players. One looks ready the other looks nervous.

Reactions: jq_miner
Teams are supposed to reflect their coach. Im thinking Dimel's reflection was probably like a deer in the headlights then too. It certainly showed.

Teams are supposed to reflect their coach. Im thinking Dimel's reflection was probably like a deer in the headlights then too. It certainly showed.

I think it was more the assistant coaches than Dimel. He seems to be more of a figure head than a coach that gets down in the muck with the players, kinda like Dabo.

I totally agree with him and hold him totally responsible and in the same token I appreciate Texas sticking with this match up.

I agree with what Mike Price said years ago, "you always respect your opponent (no matter whom), but never fear them". His practices for P5 opponents would mimic all aspects: stadium noise, color schemes (he would have practice squad wear colored helmet covers that matched the opponent), etc..

What a shit leader. Well than ****ing do something about it in game! FIRE EM UP COACH! Getting our asses handed to us and the top of the depth chart is scared...pull em and play the benchwarmers.

Motivate! You stare down that big bad mfer across from you, look em dead in the eye and tell em “WE ****ING RIGHT HERE! IF WE FAIL, WE FAIL BUT WE’RE HERE AND YOU IN FOR A FIGHT!”

GET GONE DISMAL! PUSSY!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT