• 1-1

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 2-0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
I'm feeling good about this series. Not that it has mattered or affected the outcome in the past. I think we're in for a surprise.

If we have learned anything about this team it is never has two quality performances in a row. We follow up a quality win with a dive, so I don't give them much of a chance. Another factor UAB plays defense and rebounds well, these kinda teams have been like kryptonite to our play.

I think we get swept. I’m not watching tonight jcorona...so we at least have a chance to take one of em, tho.

Reactions: develman
Maybe Terry will get one of his coaches to take notes on UAB's alternating zone and pressure defense.

We better be super hot from range or else UAB will tear us a new A-hole.

Reactions: utep-piggy
Miners have a little run going, being aggressive driving to the hoop resulting in some points. Who woulda thought?

How's Efe doing with his concussion protocol?

Sjolund looks like our best big guy right now. He's showing some hustle and I like it.

When Efe eventually returns, why not try playing a bigger lineup? If we can't hit 3s, we should try a lineup designed to score 2s.

Why does Boum always have the ball at the end of the half and end of the game? Isn't that why we have Bieniemy?

Wow, I think Verhouven was mugged. Yeah, he probably walked, but that was while two players were slapping him.

Then on the other end, it looked like Verhouven had a clean block, but was called for a foul.

Our offense is trash. No plan. Too slow. Too hesitant. No aggression. Cant finish. Free throw shooting sucks.

UAB plays good D, but they are not gangbusters. With any decent coach we win this game.

I do think UTEP played good defense today, which kept them within striking distance for most of the game. But we needed that moment in the game where UTEP goes on to make a couple of threes in a row. No shooters.

Bieniemy 0-9 at the moment.

Our offense is trash. No plan. Too slow. Too hesitant. No aggression. Cant finish. Free throw shooting sucks.

UAB plays good D, but they are not gangbusters. With any decent coach we win this game.
Talent wise UAB is better. They aren't a great shooting team, but really good defensively. Terry's coaching has been an issue, but guys need to make open shots.

But even the best coach needs players who can make shots.

Who's going to make the shots? Our leading scorer has missed 10 shots.
If you can't make outside shots then you have to create 2nd or 3rd options. That's our problem. It's all or nothing with outside shooting. That's obviously the way Terry wants it. When we shoot poorly then we put the onus on the players (and off of the coach).

A good coach can prepare better and adjust to put his players in better position to score. He can teach ways to break the press, the zone and attack the rim. He can hold the players accountable and adjust the rotation accordingly. He can tell the players what to do and what not to do, etc...

Reactions: kickballpro
Talent wise UAB is better. They aren't a great shooting team, but really good defensively. Terry's coaching has been an issue, but guys need to make open shots.
So why is UAB so good then? Like you said,, they are a poor outside shooting tram. Are their players really THAT much better?

So why is UAB so good then? Like you said,, they are a poor outside shooting tram. Are their players really THAT much better?
CUSA is really a grind league with a lot of teams relatively even talent wise. I don't consider any team in the conference as head and shoulders above any other. UAB has top 4 CUSA talent in my opinion. Looking at our roster, we have clear issues in at least two starting spots offensively. First, Kennedy is an example of a shooting guard who can't shoot. He is decent defensively, but so limited offensively, I don't see him playing in more than role player minutes on most CUSA teams; on this team he gets 30+. I can say the same thing about Verhoeven. On top of those two examples, we have very little true depth. A team like UAB has far superior depth. We know a guy like Terry isn't going to outcoach anyone, but a lot of the coaches in CUSA are similar. Having 2.5 guys that can play is not enough to be much better than .500. There are plenty of other examples in CUSA.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
CUSA is really a grind league with a lot of teams relatively even talent wise. I don't consider any team in the conference as head and shoulders above any other. UAB has top 4 CUSA talent in my opinion. Looking at our roster, we have clear issues in at least two starting spots offensively. First, Kennedy is an example of a shooting guard who can't shoot. He is decent defensively, but so limited offensively, I don't see him playing in more than role player minutes on most CUSA teams; on this team he gets 30+. I can say the same thing about Verhoeven. On top of those two examples, we have very little true depth. A team like UAB has far superior depth. We know a guy like Terry isn't going to outcoach anyone, but a lot of the coaches in CUSA are similar. Having 2.5 guys that can play is not enough to be much better than .500. There are plenty of other examples in CUSA.
Exactly. I agree. It comes down to coaching stubbornness and inflexibility.

Before the year started I suggested that Terry tighten the rotation. He has, but he has also been completely inflexible to player positioning and different rotations. Most players should be proficient at 2 positions. I've been calling for Sjolund to play the 3 and to see Onyema at the 5 (even if it's just for limited time). I dont understand why Terry doesn't at least try different options.

Exactly. I agree. It comes down to coaching stubbornness and inflexibility.

Before the year started I suggested that Terry tighten the rotation. He has, but he has also been completely inflexible to player positioning and different rotations. Most players should be proficient at 2 positions. I've been calling for Sjolund to play the 3 and to see Onyema at the 5 (even if it's just for limited time). I dont understand why Terry doesn't at least try different options.
Yep, when Terry was first hired, my expectations for his bench coaching were not great based on what I had seen/heard at Fresno. I thought it was super important for him to hire good assistants to provide support in that capacity. After Lamont Smith was let go, I don't think Terry adequately replaced him. In any case, clearly the coaching has left a lot to be desired. Next year, without Williams, my expectation is that the team will struggle to be .500. Terry's coaching is definitely not going to elevate a team beyond its basic level of talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT