ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP VS ULM prediction thread

This will be the first game this season in which UTEP has film on its opponent. First game which we will enact a game plan.

This will be the first game this season in which UTEP has film on its opponent. First game which we will enact a game plan.
Do you not know the game plan they are going to come up with already? What is UTEP going to do offensively any differently than they have done? The problem is that they have game film on us. That is where the problem arises.

The problem with the offense has been the o-line. They get zero push. They dont open up holes in the running game. The running game has worked in 2 quarters this year. The fourth against SFA and the the fourth against ACU. In both instances the extra scholarships and size difference came into play. Those factors won't exist for the rest of the season. In pass protection they're getting beat by simple speed rushes. The tackles look like they're stuck in concrete. Hardison has has to leave the pocket on most pass plays. We have pgood skill players. I was impressed by Awatt's burst he's noticeably quicker than Fields. The play calling is not the greatest but the problem is the O-line. Their play has been terrible. With average o-line play we beat ULM. If they dont play alot better than they have the first three games we wont beat another team on the schedule.

Two factors- weather soft and soggy will slow the passing game down, advantage us, if we are full force at RB w/Hankins, advantage us. Vegas is predicting 28-21 them, I predict the opposite but 28 UTEP, 21 ULM. (fully aware that I am going against years of horrid road performances and dismal history agains first time opponents)

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
The problem with the offense has been the o-line. They get zero push. They dont open up holes in the running game. The running game has worked in 2 quarters this year. The fourth against SFA and the the fourth against ACU. In both instances the extra scholarships and size difference came into play. Those factors won't exist for the rest of the season. In pass protection they're getting beat by simple speed rushes. The tackles look like they're stuck in concrete. Hardison has has to leave the pocket on most pass plays. We have pgood skill players. I was impressed by Awatt's burst he's noticeably quicker than Fields. Their play has been terrible. With average o-line play we beat ULM. If they dont play alot better than they have the first three games we wont beat another team on the schedule.

I agree with everything you said, however I’d add, knowing that our o line isn’t going to all of a sudden turn into road graters who get some decent push, it falls on the coaches to change the play calling up a bit. I like the definition of insanity that suggests it’s doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. That’s our staff the last 3 years. I’m fairly certain there isn’t much that can be worse than our 2 yards and a cloud of dust philosophy. Even you said, we have the skill players. Why not put them in position to utilize that skill? Why not have our backs get a full head of steam and run outside the hash marks more often? When was the last time we ran a reverse? Or isolate Cowing by lining up trips to one side? There is just zero imagination to our offensive play calling. Don’t even get me started on the defense.

Your assessment is right on imo, but it won’t change so the play calling needs to be adjusted imho.

Utep has a little confidence albeit by winning against 2 bottom level FCS school. However confidence can build off off small victories. Defense wins this sloppy game, between two bad teams.
Hankins-Lead Miners 20-16
Hankins-Less Miners 13-23

UTEP struggles east of the mighty Mississippi but will be slightly west but still fall short.

UTEP 17
ULM 31

"I predicted loss to ACU and it worked, so I'll try it again and hope I'm wrong."
ULM 24
UTEP 13
WTH- If it works once, sure to work again, I change ULM 56 UTEP 3

Two factors- weather soft and soggy will slow the passing game down, advantage us, if we are full force at RB w/Hankins, advantage us. Vegas is predicting 28-21 them, I predict the opposite but 28 UTEP, 21 ULM. (fully aware that I am going against years of horrid road performances and dismal history agains first time opponents)

It should be sunny Saturday and we have turf that drains well, so won’t be soft and soggy.

Reactions: carpenj

It should be sunny Saturday and we have turf that drains well, so won’t be soft and soggy.
Good to know and the tropical depression seems to have moved off, early predictions had it hanging around a while. Went to an Independence bowl game a few years back and it rained all day, it was a mud bowl and soaked everything I had.

Good to know and the tropical depression seems to have moved off, early predictions had it hanging around a while. Went to an Independence bowl game a few years back and it rained all day, it was a mud bowl and soaked everything I had.

Yeah, the sun is coming out now. Should be a beautiful day for football and will be a nice dry field.

Is Hankins playing today? He is listed as backup on the depth chart.

Taylor looks to be starting at DE as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT