ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Will Finish Under .500 for the Third Year

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
in a row vs D1 teams. Which in reality is the only wins that should count. If an AD/coach want to fluff their record that's fine but it should be viewed as nothing more than an expensive exhibition.

Here's Terry's record vs D1 teams.

6-21, 14-15 and currently 5-9. We have to win six of the next seven to finish the 2021 season 11-10. One entire game over .500. We know realistically that's not happening.

How does as an AD justify three losing seasons in three years? For both major revenue programs.

For kicks here's the NET rankings of everyone on our schedule.

L @ 64 St Mary's
L @ 44 Arizona
W @ 115 Arizona St

L @ 267 USM
W @ 267 USM

W 178 RICE
L 178 RICE

L @ 88 UNT
L @ 88 UNT

W 104 LT
L 104 LT

L @ 236 UTSA
W 236 UTSA

L @ 68 UAB
? @ 68 UAB

? 256 FIU
? 256 FIU

? @ 195 FAU
? @ 195 FAU

? 169 Charlotte
? 169 Charlotte

Bigger question is why does the president of the university put up with the joke of an athletic department?
She can demand better!!!
Covid be damned, get off your butt, find the money and make changes!

What else could it be? Ticket sales? Graduation rate? In what other areas does he make up for the on court results?
That’s a good question. Because he sure didn’t elaborate on the other dimensions used to evaluate his coaches. Imagine that. I’m sure he didn’t mention what those other ways were because it’s bullshit.

Reactions: Lil_Train
That’s a good question. Because he sure didn’t elaborate on the other dimensions used to evaluate his coaches. Imagine that. I’m sure he didn’t mention what those other ways were because it’s bullshit.
That could be one of your questions during your sit down.

Have any of you communicated your sentiments to Heather? Our utter disgust expressed here on the board won't do it.
It may not accomplish anything by going directly to her either, but the more; the merrier. She has not responded to my messages. I'd feel a little better if she'd at least acknowledge that she's aware of the problem.

Have any of you communicated your sentiments to Heather? Our utter disgust expressed here on the board won't do it.
It may not accomplish anything by going directly to her either, but the more; the merrier. She has not responded to my messages. I'd feel a little better if she'd at least acknowledge that she's aware of the problem.
I have. No response.

After the first 12 conference games UTEP once again finds themselves 4-8. We were 4-8 last year at this point and 3-9 during Terry's first year.

Reactions: picks up

Seriously if you all sent her all the stuff you send on here on a daily basis I am sure terry wouldn’t last the year 😂

Seriously if you all sent her all the stuff you send on here on a daily basis I am sure terry wouldn’t last the year 😂
She's not gonna listen to a bunch of Saturday and Sunday morning QBs that don't contribute any significant amount of money (just assuming).

If we had some big time boosters that could pull weight and apply pressure then both coaches and our AD would be gone already. Wilson is gonna bite the bullet, get through Covid and the stupid 5-yr contracts and then try to put her stamp on the program with the next hires (either 1 or 2 years from now). Personally I don't think she stays long enough to make a difference anyway.

The only thing we have going for us is Foster. He has donated big money and was on the committee that chose Wilson. Hopefully he is in her ear as we speak.

She's not gonna listen to a bunch of Saturday and Sunday morning QBs that don't contribute any significant amount of money (just assuming).

If we had some big time boosters that could pull weight and apply pressure then both coaches and our AD would be gone already. Wilson is gonna bite the bullet, get through Covid and the stupid 5-yr contracts and then try to put her stamp on the program with the next hires (either 1 or 2 years from now). Personally I don't think she stays long enough to make a difference anyway.

The only thing we have going for us is Foster. He has donated big money and was on the committee that chose Wilson. Hopefully he is in her ear as we speak.

Exactly. UTEP doesn’t care what the majority of fans think. Only the big time STH and big donors matter. Just like most things in life, the 1% is making the calls.

Reactions: kickballpro
Exactly. UTEP doesn’t care what the majority of fans think. Only the big time STH and big donors matter. Just like most things in life, the 1% is making the calls.
Money talks. I highly doubt that even the big donors want to clean this mess up. Why don't the "majority" of fans start a go fund me and see if they can raise the 1.5 million to buyout Terry? I'm sure the AD will listen to whoever has the money.

Money talks. I highly doubt that even the big donors want to clean this mess up. Why don't the "majority" of fans start a go fund me and see if they can raise the 1.5 million to buyout Terry? I'm sure the AD will listen to whoever has the money.
Rather buy out Dimel first...

How many starting lineups did we have last year? This year it's been the same every game (other than when JB was out). Why doesn't Terry shake things up a bit? Why not start Sjolund and bring Kennedy or Boum off the bench? There are so many lineup options with this group of guys. It seems that Terry is the type that plays chess by making the same moves over and over.

If we lose a few more games I'm hoping to see Onyema and Hess get some minutes. Even if they are defensive liabilities it won't really matter anymore.

Reactions: MinerManiac
How many starting lineups did we have last year? This year it's been the same every game (other than when JB was out). Why doesn't Terry shake things up a bit? Why not start Sjolund and bring Kennedy or Boum off the bench? There are so many lineup options with this group of guys. It seems that Terry is the type that plays chess by making the same moves over and over.

If we lose a few more games I'm hoping to see Onyema and Hess get some minutes. Even if they are defensive liabilities it won't really matter anymore.
Sjolund played 24 and 28 minutes in this week's games, and I hope that continues even if Efe makes it back. Some of that court time was due to Williams foul trouble, as well as Terry using more zone defense against UAB, but I hope he still gets similar minutes. His shooting was an obvious plus against UAB. Like you mentioned, it would be nice to see Terry integrate some additional ways to get Sjolund involved attacking the basket. If Sjolund can develop any type of ability to put the ball on the floor, he could become a problem to defend.

I’m not saying that they want to or will, just they are the only ones that Senter will listen to. If someone who donates $20,000, Senter is likely to consider his opinion over the people on this board. I don’t think Senter has the balls to go and ask that person for 40 to get rid of Terry.

Sjolund played 24 and 28 minutes in this week's games, and I hope that continues even if Efe makes it back. Some of that court time was due to Williams foul trouble, as well as Terry using more zone defense against UAB, but I hope he still gets similar minutes. His shooting was an obvious plus against UAB. Like you mentioned, it would be nice to see Terry integrate some additional ways to get Sjolund involved attacking the basket. If Sjolund can develop any type of ability to put the ball on the floor, he could become a problem to defend.
I would like to see him on the floor together with BW and a center

What's the plan on defense?
Defend the rim and make teams beat us from the outside (Ala UAB). Man to man with backside help (no high double teams), point zone, 2/3 zone or a mixture of both. We would have a lot of size and more scoring options on offense (especially if the other team tried to go small to attack our defense).

Defend the rim and make teams beat us from the outside (Ala UAB). Man to man with backside help (no high double teams), point zone, 2/3 zone or a mixture of both. We would have a lot of size and more scoring options on offense (especially if the other team tried to go small to attack our defense).
Yep, I do think different variations of a zone type defense could be potentially effective against some teams. The obvious problem is the higher likelihood of open outside shots, plus the added issue of rebounding inherent to the zone. Also, while Kennedy hasn't been great or consistent, moving Sjolund to the three would essentially remove Kennedy from the floor. Even at 6'4", Kennedy is a better rebounder than Sjolund. I would look to strip minutes from Verhoeven first, and then Kennedy based on the matchup. Either way, I'd like to see Sjolund play more minutes to see if he can provide a badly needed spark.

Last edited:
Reactions: axingfools1
Yep, I do think different variations of a zone type defense could be potentially effective against some teams. The obvious problem is the higher likelihood of open outside shots, plus the added issue of rebounding inherent to the zone. Also, while Kennedy hasn't been great or consistent, moving Sjolund to the three would essentially remove Kennedy from the floor. Even at 6'4", Kennedy is a better rebounder than Sjolund. I would look to strip minutes from Verhoeven first, and then Kennedy based on the matchup. Either way, I'd like to see Sjolund play more minutes to see if he can provide a badly needed spark.
I hear what you are saying. I mean we should be able to rebound with 3 bigs right? That's coaching too, but really at this point I wouldn't be looking to trade points for defense for rebounds for assists, etc. Those things are important but the fact is that whatever Terry is doing is not working and he needs to start looking at other options.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT